Elderly Woman Freezes To Death In Korat

webfact

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

13c, that's nothing, scraping ice off the inside of the windows when I was a kid, coal fire downstairs, that was it.

Just about to post the same, metal window frames, no seals.......climbing into a bed with damp sheets was the worst.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

WITH THE mercury having dipped it led to an elderly woman freezing to death in the basement of her wooden house in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) province, Amarin TV said Thursday (Dec. 15).

Quite the palace...

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And as far this poor lady's demise goes, if the body's core temperate drops below 35 deg C, hyperthermia will set in and it's a killer. In the lady's circumstances, death by hyperthermia is a very, very likely. 

So "hyperthermia" means freezing? Just asking, English being my third language.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Freezing is 0° .. not 13°

Very few healthy people would 'freeze to death', exposed to 13° for even 12 ish hours.

Freezing is 0° only for water... For other liquids, freezing, i.e. the phase change from liquid to solid occurs at ‘different temperatures’.

So... if people are going to be obtuse about the use of the colloquialism ‘freezing’ when its obvious what the author of the article means...  at least be technically correct !!!!

Now... have you never ever said... “”brrrrr.... I’m freezing cold” !!!...  ????

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Just about to post the same, metal window frames, no seals.......climbing into a bed with damp sheets was the worst.

Damp sheet, my brother used to pee our bed, I learned to swim before I could walk, my dad used to ask me which end of the bed i wanted to sleep in, I told him the shallow one!

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

At that age I would havw though she would know about blankets and how to put on warm clothes or even light a fire..... Sleeping outside was not too smart either. 

Also, this story is a lie.  There is no basement to that house! 

The story should be, old woman dies from neglect and lack of care.  No one from her family or village came to check on her or offer help. 

Perhaps she doesn't have any warm clothes and on 800 baht a month it is hard to pay all your bills, still eat and keep warm.

Try it for a month yourself.

Whilst it is not the basement it is downstairs and as Steven100 pointed out, the stairs don't look that safe.

Maybe her family have all moved away to work elsewhere.

When I was young in the 1950s all the neighbours knew each other and nobody locked their houses up. All of us kids could be found easily enough around at somebody's house, but not nowadays.

I know my neighbours for 3 houses away on one side and I know the old man on the other side but I haven't seen his wife in months.

I am in contact with more people on the other side of the world than I am in Thailand. I suspect that would be much the same for most of us.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps she doesn't have any warm clothes and on 800 baht a month it is hard to pay all your bills, still eat and keep warm.

Try it for a month yourself.

Whilst it is not the basement it is downstairs and as Steven100 pointed out, the stairs don't look that safe.

Maybe her family have all moved away to work elsewhere.

When I was young in the 1950s all the neighbours knew each other and nobody locked their houses up. All of us kids could be found easily enough around at somebody's house, but not nowadays.

I know my neighbours for 3 houses away on one side and I know the old man on the other side but I haven't seen his wife in months.

I am in contact with more people on the other side of the world than I am in Thailand. I suspect that would be much the same for most of us.

Well that is bad for you.  You should make friends with you neighbours and people around you in case you need help. 

The woman of course would have had blankets. They are not getting them and throwing them away as they are valued.  Having less money make you appreciate things.  Even if no blanket she could have lit a fire.  That is free.  Burn anything.  And add multi layers of normal clothes is even better than one thick coat. 

She was not stupid.  To live to that age and not be rich would take brains and skill..

Dont patronise the lady thinks she is so helpless and poor to keep warm. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

RIP, but nobody "freezes to death" with 13 degrees Celsius. Temperature in my childhood's bedroom was sometimes lower than that.

"Freezes to death" is a hugely misleading term.  "Hypothermia" can happen at 15C.  Many climbers have died on low mountains when caught in cold rain and no rain gear.  There have even been cases where people have died in rooms where the AC had been turned too low, especially among the elderly who's perception of temperature can become very confused.

Basically, if one gets cold enough that they are shaking uncontrollably, that person is on the cusp of hypothermia.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Well that is bad for you.  You should make friends with you neighbours and people around you in case you need help. 

The woman of course would have had blankets. They are not getting them and throwing them away as they are valued.  Having less money make you appreciate things.  Even if no blanket she could have lit a fire.  That is free.  Burn anything.  And add multi layers of normal clothes is even better than one thick coat. 

She was not stupid.  To live to that age and not be rich would take brains and skill..

Dont patronise the lady thinks she is so helpless and poor to keep warm. 

The reason why I don't see my neighbour is because of the wall that his wife had built between the two plots.

It seems as though his wife was not happy with my wife and so had the wall built.

There is no wall, fence or barrier between the other neighbour and us, and between them and the next neighbour, whilst there is a fence there is also a gate for us to pass through.

Do you know the old lady?

You seem to, as you claim she of course she would have had blankets, or are you making an assumption?

You obviously don't live anywhere in rural Thailand because you would realise that many of the people of her age had few chances of education and if she lived on a rice farm, for example the whole family would have been poor all their lives.

BTW please don't tell me NOT to patronise people until you have walked a mile in their shoes at that age. Most people of her age cannot even walk a mile.

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The reason why I don't see my neighbour is because of the wall that his wife had built between the two plots.

It seems as though his wife was not happy with my wife and so had the wall built.

There is no wall, fence or barrier between the other neighbour and us, and between them and the next neighbour, whilst there is a fence there is also a gate for us to pass through.

Do you know the old lady?

You seem to, as you claim she of course she would have had blankets, or are you making an assumption?

You obviously don't live anywhere in rural Thailand because you would realise that many of the people of her age had few chances of education and if she lived on a rice farm, for example the whole family would have been poor all their lives.

BTW please don't tell me NOT to patronise people until you have walked a mile in their shoes at that age. Most people of her age cannot even walk a mile.

You have not friends near you because of one WALL? 

Go around there for a chat.. Go to the other houses...there can't be only one neighbour.. 

Thai are usually friendly and happy to talk or have a drink with anyone. 

I do live in rural chiang mai.  I know all my neighbours.  I also know most people on our local market and at the ma and pa shops.  

When I moved here 15 years ago it was even more rural.  And only 2 other farang guys.  

You say you don't know anyone of your neighbours.  That is not normal in thailand.  I bet if I spoke to someone from your village they would all know you and your business.  People love to gossip here.  I think the problem lays with you.... Its not about people these days don't know their neighbours.. 

You are hiding behind that wall. 

If she had nothing to keep her warm how did she survive 80 more years of cold Seasons? 

She probably was lonely with no family or friends to be with her. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You have not friends near you because of one WALL? 

Go around there for a chat.. Go to the other houses...there can't be only one neighbour.. 

Thai are usually friendly and happy to talk or have a drink with anyone. 

I do live in rural chiang mai.  I know all my neighbours.  I also know most people on our local market and at the ma and pa shops.  

When I moved here 15 years ago it was even more rural.  And only 2 other farang guys.  

You say you don't know anyone of your neighbours.  That is not normal in thailand.  I bet if I spoke to someone from your village they would all know you and your business.  People love to gossip here.  I think the problem lays with you.... Its not about people these days don't know their neighbours.. 

You are hiding behind that wall. 

If she had nothing to keep her warm how did she survive 80 more years of cold Seasons? 

She probably was lonely with no family or friends to be with her. 

Where did I say that I have no Thai friends near me? What I said was that on ONE side there was a wall.

If you cannot read a post correctly and respond to what the poster has written, there is little hope for you.

How could I be hiding behind that wall. I am not sure how dense you are but we didn't build it, they did. We helped them out in the early days but the wife over there is the one who doesn't want to know. and she was the one who had the wall built.

The Thais from the moo ban would indeed know about me, but they might not know very much and a lot of that gossip would be wrong.

quote "

She probably was lonely with no family or friends to be with her. "

I have no idea as she lives far from me and you have no idea either as she lives nowhere near you.

Edited by billd766
added extra text