Jomtien Retirement Extension Experience 16DEC2022

Went to Jomtien immigration today, Friday 16 December 2022 to renew retirement visa extension.

Arrived at 7:50 a.m., 50 people in line outside before me. Doors opened at 8:30 a.m., entered building at about 8:50 a.m. Departed at 10 a.m. and told to return next Wednesday, 21 December 2022, afternoon to pickup passport. About 70 people in line outside when I departed.

This is longest wait in the past 10 years, after getting a queue number. One of the intake officers didn't accept queue patrons for about 30 minutes, instead he processed burgandy coloured passports from a basket. Some of the prior patrons were arguing with the IO about the required documents, something about rental agreement and the owner's ID card. About 3 patrons didn't show-up when their queue number was called.

The first person in line commented they arrived at 6:45 a.m. . Other people in the line after me, commented that they had come earlier in the week and left without getting service because the line-up extended into the street. Another said, they were told to comeback another day because there were enough people in the queue for the current day business hours.

In prior years, I could pickup the passport the next business day, but now it is 3 business days later. Does anyone know why the extended wait?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bottom line is though they want you to spread the word about the crowds and delay, so people will use an agent.

Friend in Jomtien got his extension two days ago.

He is on Non O-A status and 80 years old. Basically impossible to get/afford the required health insurance (financials are sufficient).

His female special agent got his extension for him.

Not even seen the office.

Super service he writes.

10000 Baht.

Last year I had seen his insurance. A cheap accident insurance for the elderly ????

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Friend in Jomtien got his extension two days ago.

He is on Non O-A status and 80 years old. Basically impossible to get/afford the required health insurance (financials are sufficient).

His female special agent got his extension for him.

Not even seen the office.

Super service he writes.

10000 Baht.

Last year I had seen his insurance. A cheap accident insurance for the elderly ????

My retirement is a Non-O, not an O-A, no insurance required.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

My retirement is a Non-O, not an O-A, no insurance required.

Sure. I know.

That's why I took the effort of a border run to get rid of my Non O-A.

Your agent fee would have been lower ????.

It becomes expensive if the financials are not met. 25k typically 

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

In prior years, I could pickup the passport the next business day, but now it is 3 business days later. Does anyone know why the extended wait?

Interesting. I gave all my paperwork to the agent I use yesterday afternoon. I asked her if the passport would be ready to pick up today, and she said no, it would be sometime next week, she'd call me when she had it. No idea why the delay is so long now, but at least what you say is consistent with what my agent told me, so thanks for that info.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

What Pattaya agent is recommended pricewise and otherwise (fast service etc) when you do have enough age and enough money in the bank ?

I just happened to see some servicers wearing their company shirts while I was at immigration. Found them on Facebook, messaged asking price with money in bank already, and used them. Gives you price and if they speak/write English much and if they are attentive.

Given that, I found that the quotes are all within 1000 baht of each other, and they plus immigration was busy. Could be the last two weeks were 4 day weeks for them.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling

I'm sorry that I can't help to answer your question as I live in another province. I've been renewing my Marriage Visa since 1984 and for many years I've had to wait a month for the renewal after the documents have been approved. I intend to change to a Retirement Visa next year because the process is so much simpler, fewer documents, and going by what you've written, quicker too.

2 hours ago, easydoor said:

First off: it is not very clever waiting till the last day to extend your permission of stay. Maybe you are stille one of those thinking and being afraid to lose some days, what is not case at all.

And about your question you have to wait 3 days now and not 1 day: maybe you don't know it: 16 Dec, today, it is Friday.... maybe you a;so don't know but after Friday it is WEEKEND.

NO I am not one that has left the renewal until the last day and there is no concern of losing days.

Next, I do know there is weekend, which is not part of business days. But did you count and undertsand that it will be returned next Wednesday, which is 3 business days later, as stated in the original post? If the weekend is included, it 5 calendar days later.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

To answer chilly07, there was for me with my agent to renew my O retirement extension. 12500 no funds, 8000 full funds. TBH I was surprised she told me as I would have paid the higher amount just to avoid going to the IO. But I did have to pay the bank 200 for the statement and letter. Pattaya agent. PM me if you want the name.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Obviously now Covid has seemingly 'finished' folks have returned to Thailand, Pattaya?

There have been reports of an influx of Russians and they don't want to go home, it seems, so the combination is lots of people want extensions etc?

the place is totally full of Russians.

They are everywhere..........no doubt running away from Putin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aliflair said:

To answer chilly07, there was for me with my agent to renew my O retirement extension. 12500 no funds, 8000 full funds. TBH I was surprised she told me as I would have paid the higher amount just to avoid going to the IO. But I did have to pay the bank 200 for the statement and letter. Pattaya agent. PM me if you want the name.

i dont get it.

i recently got an agent to get my Residents Certificate to buy and sell a motorbike.

I had all the paperwork ready, just needed agent to go as I did not want to queue.

Charged me 1,000 baht, because all the agent had to do was hand in paperwork and wait.

So if the agent has to do the same for a Retirement Extension, and you meet the criteria, and have all the paperwork, and all the agent has to do is hand it in and wait............why on earth is it 8k?

does not make sense

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nickmondo said:

So if the agent has to do the same for a Retirement Extension, and you meet the criteria, and have all the paperwork, and all the agent has to do is hand it in and wait............why on earth is it 8k?

Firstly, it involves two trips to Immigration, one to hand in the paperwork and another to collect the passport. Secondly, the 8,000 Baht includes the 1,900 Baht extension fee. And thirdly, I guess the retirement extension is much more important than anything else (there's not much point in having a residence certificate if your permission to stay expires), so perhaps they are entitled to charge more for the service. Given that Immigration hold onto your passport overnight (and over several nights nowadays, it seems), presumably to do some further checks (maybe for unpaid fines or that sort of thing?), it's pretty much certain that the IO will charge the agent more than for a simpler, much faster process like issuing a residence certificate or doing a TM30.

23 minutes ago, worldexpress said:

It's surprising how so many can afford to do this long term.

Many that have run are under the delusion that it will be OK to go home fairly soon. Highly doubtful but many Russians that have fled have already been forced to go home.

Arguably it won't be desirable for many to EVER return and seeking asylum options is popular (not in Thailand of course). 

Most will need to eventually earn money -- somehow.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I probably shouldn't share this, but the "secret" for retirement extensions is to show up at about 3:30 P.M. 

You likely will be sitting with an officer in 15 minutes max. Sometimes no wait at all.

Thanks. Read it. You can delete now.

• Haha 1