Thai massage vs oil massage

ozimoron

Is Thai massage all pain and no gain?

I've been having a Thai massage every second day for a week now. The pain is decreasing a little and I feel looser. The masseuse originally talked me into an oil massage but as soon as she laid a hand on my muscles and exclaimed "kang mahk" she changed her mind and proceeded with the Thai massage. If anything I think the oil massage is just relaxing tourist stuff. Opinions?

I used to have 2 hour thai massages daily years ago, the problem is they find any injury and make it worse, don't mention it or it's even worse still. Now i just like a foot massage which includes more than feet and Oil massage when i want a relaxing massage and a bit of the other maybe

The oil massage may feel more relaxing, but it also has benefits such as targeting the little knots in your back and around your body, making it easier for your masseuse to run her hands over your skin and find the tough spots.

The Thai massage is more a a rigurous massage and a great stretch, improving your flexibility and virtually giving your body a 'work out'.

Both have their health benefits, and both have their place IMO...

OP - nothing to stop you doing oil and Thai massage on alternate days. This can work well

There is gain with a Thai massage.  The comfort and good feeling tend to come after the massage is over.  A gentle walk say one or two kilometers after seems to extend the benefits., for me anyway.

An oil massage offers instant comfort and little benefit, again, for me anyway

There is a third option that combines the two. A Thai (supposedly) massage with a bit of oil.  I find that this option offers the worst of all worlds.  Little comfort from the oil and much less benefit from the Thai.

Just before I got tossed out of LOS last time I started trying (when I could take the time) a one hour Thai massage followed by a one hour oil massage with a different masseuse.(same shop)  I brought a bottle of high SPF lotion with me so the masseuse could give me a final coat so to speak.  After I finished I took about a one hour stroll up and down the beach.

After the stroll, I find a little larynx exercise is in order.  Pass the contents of at least two well chilled (bene lades) bottles of San Miguel over the larynx.  The benefits are almost immediate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

The oil massage may feel more relaxing, but it also has benefits such as targeting the little knots in your back and around your body, making it easier for your masseuse to run her hands over your skin and find the tough spots.

The Thai massage is more a a rigurous massage and a great stretch, improving your flexibility and virtually giving your body a 'work out'.

Both have their health benefits, and both have their place IMO...

OP - nothing to stop you doing oil and Thai massage on alternate days. This can work well

She actually does use a little oil and does target the little knots as well. I'm not sure what they are. I guess it may be lactic acid buildup?

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

She actually does use a little oil and does target the little knots as well. I'm not sure what they are. I guess it may be lactic acid buildup?

I think the knots are just knots of muscle tissue? IMO having a massage a day isn't an issue. But obviously it isn't a complete replacement for exercise. The Thai massage is great for keeping you as supple and stretched as possible...

But as we know, a lot comes down to the skill of your masseuse. My current massage lady is like a whirlwind and her work rate means she can get through about 3 times the activity of a slow massage lady within one hour. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:37 AM, ourdon said:

...After the stroll, I find a little larynx exercise is in order.  Pass the contents of at least two well chilled (bene lades) bottles of San Miguel over the larynx.  The benefits are almost immediate....

Now you have me wondering what you mean with bene lades. "Bene" is Italian, but  "lades" is not.

I think it depends on the masseuse. Some are better and more experienced than others. With a Thai massage some will rip you apart and leave you in more pain than before you laid down. Others will make you feel like a million bucks. Similar with oil. I ask for the shortest massage possible when trying to find a good masseuse as to not waste money. I usually try many over a 2-week period. Once I find one that I like I stay with her.   

On 12/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, RickG16 said:

I think the knots are just knots of muscle tissue? IMO having a massage a day isn't an issue. But obviously it isn't a complete replacement for exercise. The Thai massage is great for keeping you as supple and stretched as possible...

But as we know, a lot comes down to the skill of your masseuse. My current massage lady is like a whirlwind and her work rate means she can get through about 3 times the activity of a slow massage lady within one hour. 

I prefer cream rather than oil (or neither - just basic massage) because I find it takes too much time and effort to wash all the oil off. 

Ultimately personal choice. 

IME older women are better at massage, the younger ones usually try to talk the customer into chuk wow, BJ or boom boom. Oil is the preferred starting point for such activity.

My current massage lady is 61 yo, I go to her 3 - 4 times a week. She knows what level of intensity I can take. She does not use oil, it is like a diluted form of DeepHeat or similar.

I've tried oil massage a few times, it leaves me feeling greasy and does not seem to do anything better than traditional Thai massage. YMMV.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I prefer cream rather than oil (or neither - just basic massage) because I find it takes too much time and effort to wash all the oil off. 

Ultimately personal choice. 

There's definitely an urgent need to go for a shower which you don't have after Thai massage 

20 hours ago, Puccini said:

Now you have me wondering what you mean with bene lades. "Bene" is Italian, but  "lades" is not.

Bene is multicultural..   It's been a few years (decades) since I used it as Spanish for "well chilled", but the bartender always knew what I was saying and would have a few bottles of Pacifico in an ice bucket for me.

Some good memories in there.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...