Do You Sometimes Enjoy Being the “Token White Guy” in Asia? Do You Charge Money for Your Services?

GammaGlobulin

29 minutes ago, Dan O said:

There's no end to the ramblings and nonsensical topics posted just in order to be seen and heard and hope for relevance. Most times you post and then are the primary poster in replyin. Lay off the medicine and go out in the world and meet people and have real discussions

You must be joking. 

These days, having a serious discussion about the REAL world seems to be the very last thing that the majority wish to have. 

Chomsky, at MIT, tried to have an intelligent conversation with the world, beginning back in 1968. 

The result was that most people rejected and ridiculed him. 

James Hansen was ridiculed for attempting to hold a discussion in the 1980s. 

Jack Nicholson said it best. You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth. 

My first wife (Chinese) meant I got involved in the family business alot. I was frequently trotted out to meet local government officials when they were visiting etc.

I was (and still am) working for the 'business so I didn't have to charge, but it was an expectation. Didn't happen too often, but it would happen without warning and I had to drop everything and go, which was annoying.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Oakmont sounds very familiar. 

Or, maybe I am thinking of St. Davids. 

The reason I don't like Waynesboro is that I can never remember how to spell its name. 

Also, in 1970, the club was full of new-rich types, prancing about. 

Watching new-rich duffers on a newly established golf course is like watching dogs shoot snooker ... 

One doesn't know whether to laugh or cringe. 

Oh, by the way... 

What do you think about the Agile course in Zhongshan? 

Take the ferry from HK to Zhongshan, and it once was paradise before Xi's time. 

Maybe I'll upload a few photos. 

Here are a few.

Waynesbarrow  just can't compete with Agile in Zhongshan...

image.jpeg.fa1d7b0e43089d800fea8020b7157b9b.jpegimage.jpeg.3c43d9782d3d2202448c51e1bc33170f.jpegimage.jpeg.5e889dedcec5ef59b6df606f8079be9d.jpeg

Edited by GammaGlobulin

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In the past, he taught in China for a spell, until TianAnMen. 

TianAnMen freaked him out. He left Asia never to return. He wrote a book about his experiences, a fine collection of essays. 

Author's name and title/publisher of the book, please.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Here are a few.

Waynesbarrow  just can't compete with Agile in Zhongshan...

image.jpeg.fa1d7b0e43089d800fea8020b7157b9b.jpegimage.jpeg.3c43d9782d3d2202448c51e1bc33170f.jpegimage.jpeg.5e889dedcec5ef59b6df606f8079be9d.jpeg

The towels in the locker room are always new and extra fluffy. 

There is a sauna. 

But there is no massage 

Photos were taken around 2005, as you can tell from the model year of the white automobile. 

I sold both condos at Agile in 2013 and 2014. 

No point in hanging around China after the new Emperor came to power. The writing was on the wall. 

I have no idea what Agile looks like now. 

Many of the owners and golfers at Agile were from Hong Kong. 

Food at the clubhouse was OK. 

Almost ZERO farang there, initially. 

Very luxurious inside the gates of Agile. 

But outside the gates, typical commie squalor. 

Without freedom even living in luxury soon becomes a bummer. 

And, even the rulers of China have become prisoners of the world they have created. 

Thankfully, the CCP still has Musk on their side. 

Musk has become the CCP's Token White Man. 

Someday, Musk will learn a great lesson. 

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Whatever happened to Arlo? 

Is he still alive? 

Or, did he finally choke on all that chicken. 

his kids are performing... though he has always had this odd persona of not wanting to be there at his concerts... he retired a couple of years ago... w/long white hair looks like Father Christmas

Edited by 1FinickyOne

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you so vain that you still think I am seeking your attention??? 

Anyway, truth be told, you are an excellent writer, or a writer of excellence. 

Obviously, I am not even half the writer you were, when you were in your prime, like Miss Jeane Brody. 

I canna spell, for one. 

You are older than I. So, in Thai culture, I should call you Pi. 

Take it easy, Man! 

I respect you. 

Remember when you corrected me? 

I had stated that plants require phosphorus. And you corrected me. You said that I meant phosphate. But, I did not mean phosphate. I meant phosphorus. 

By the way: The weather is now FINE for golf. Here up north, it's almost an autumn day. I am surprised that the leaves have not yet begun to turn color. 

Enjoy your golf outing during this glorious cool season. 

I used to love golfing in the month of October when the leaves were turning and the Canadian geese were landing on the green. 

I used to be a member at Waynesborough Country Club, way out on the Main Line. 

Take care, my friend. 

I wish you a very good afternoon on the links. 

Pointing out the obvious isn't being vain its being honest. Your attention seeking is consistent along with replying to your own posts. 

• Love It 1

32 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Pointing out the obvious isn't being vain its being honest. Your attention seeking is consistent along with replying to your own posts. 

Indeed.

Those that exist in a highly fanciful manner don't recognize their own foibles - more often than not.

'Tis the case with this gent. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 5:12 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes. There really ought to be a name for the newly rich who treat others like dirt. I think the French have a word for it. 

I don't mind the game of golf, per se, however I detest the status baggage that accompanys it, in Asia, particularly. 

Also, I don't like assenine, rediculously-colored golfing attire. 

If I could go back to the year 1970, at Waynesbarrow, then I would tee off in nothing but a jockstrap and yell fore! 

Also, I would make it a rule that all clubs be made of hickory. 

In addition, I would remove all ball washers from the course. I used to hate it while watching men so meticulously wash their balls at every tee. 

Sorry, the correct terms are asinine and ridiculously.

IIRC, it was Tiger Woods who said golf is a game played by white men dressed like black pimps.

I was always dressed in neutral attire, I preferred to let my golf do the talking.

I only ever washed one ball at a time. I had the other in my pocket for the next tee to keep it warm. Cold balls don't go as much distance, irrespective of whether they are on the golf course, or in a bedroom.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:27 AM, Lacessit said:

Sorry, the correct terms are asinine and ridiculously.

IIRC, it was Tiger Woods who said golf is a game played by white men dressed like black pimps.

I was always dressed in neutral attire, I preferred to let my golf do the talking.

I only ever washed one ball at a time. I had the other in my pocket for the next tee to keep it warm. Cold balls don't go as much distance, irrespective of whether they are on the golf course, or in a bedroom.

As you may have guessed by now, I am not a stickler for proper spelling, though I do enjoy punning. 

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As you may have guessed by now, I am not a stickler for proper spelling, though I do enjoy punning. 

So, you are a English language grammar nazi who doesn't care about spelling. Of course, that makes perfect sense ????

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1