Is the passenger insured ?

Chad91

30 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

This is shocking ????. That means if someone hits me with a car or bike, I could end up with a financial nightmare. But you may be able to get compensation from the driver IF he has money. Will make sure only luxury cars hit me ????

Maybe you can buy legal cover here for uninsured losses, same farangland 

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe you can buy legal cover here for uninsured losses, same farangland 

When you open an account here at a Bangkok Bank branch you have two options. Bring a Residence Certificate or buy an accident insurance at this branch. I have always thought this offer is strange. But perhaps it is not a bad idea. 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you don't seem to be able to read black and white, see the compulsory insurance above and see what's covered, not your vehicle, for 500 baht it won't include it 555

But, you don´t seem to be capable to understand my real world experience. Like I posted before, they must have done wrong. Yes, I can read. Yes, I can understand. How about you?

On 12/21/2022 at 7:32 AM, FriendlyFarang said:

If the bikes are taxed it means they have compulsory insurance, which also pays if the rider is drunk or doesn't have a license: https://www.rvp.co.th/ClaimQA_en.php

As you can see the limit is 30k if at fault, 80k if not at fault, so for you as pillion it should always be 80k.

Just because you have it doesn't mean it's not rare. I doubt more than 1% of motorbikes in Thailand have first class insurance, so it's definitely rare.

So if I only have the government insurance, if not at fault, do I have any cover for any hospital fee's in the event of an accident?

I've also wondered what would happen if an uninsured driver hits me as a pedestrian or if I get wounded as a passenger in a bus or songtaew.

With every health insurance claim my Cigna foreign insurance asks "was it an accident? yes or no". Supposing it was, my insurance would never be able to recover any costs from the Thai side that's sure. I foresee possible nightmares there, with my insurance requiring me to provide police reports or to litigate against the other party, or maybe alleging I had no business riding in an uninsured, unofficial jalopy such as a songtaew.

• Like 1

The compulsory motor insurance (Por Ror Bor) only covers medical expenses plus a death benefit for those injured or killed in motor accidents. It does not cover the cost to repair damage to vehicles involved in accidents.

The current compulsory scheme was brought into force at the urging of the hospital industry as they were losing money treating people injured in motor accidents when nobody had any insurance at all. This is why it only addresses the medical expense and death elements of cover. The cover operates independent of fault and anyone injured in an auto accident can benefit, even if the vehicle involved cannot be identified, as in hit-and-run situations. Again, the idea wasn't to protect the owner/driver of the vehicle involved, it was to protect the hospital industry from unpaid bills, so it is fairly lenient when it comes to who can claim and under what circumstances.

It is loosely modeled on personal accident coverage rather than on actual motor compulsory third-party liability insurance as is common elsewhere. I was working in the insurance industry here when this came into force in 1993 and it was quite a development at the time. The insurance industry initially wasn't keen on it.

If someone had their vehicle repaired by an insurance company when it had only the Por Ror Bor cover, then it is likely that the other vehicle was at fault and the repairs were paid by the other party's insurance under their optional third party liability coverage.

I would not rely upon someone else's insurance to cover my potential medical expenses due to a road accident. Best would be to have good medical cover. Second best would be to have personal accident cover, but the limits for medical expenses tend to be rather low and would not address a catastrophic situation. Also viable is self-insurance if one has the ability to set aside sufficient funds.

• Like 1