When did Thai Elite Visa start?

20 minutes ago, gascooker said:

I’ve contemplated the elite visa before, but I can’t bring myself to put down such a large sum of money in a country were immigration laws are changed on a whim.

I think you would be pretty safe as there has been no history of cancelling a visa/extension that has already been issued. Any changes are to do with qualifying for a future visa/extension.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gascooker said:

I’ve contemplated the elite visa before, but I can’t bring myself to put down such a large sum of money in a country were immigration laws are changed on a whim.

Nor sure where you get your Information from but they are seldom changed on  a whim 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling error
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Nor sure where you get your Information from but they are seldom changed on  a whim 

Sure they are, well at least the interpretation of the laws are. Look at all the rigmarole around the Covid extension visas. They said they were stopping them, then on the very last day they said they would issue them again.

It was a total flop in 2003 and has changed a lot since the original 20 year elite card. With possible amendments, an unstable political situation, and the fact that you have to renew it every 5 years and still have to do the 90 day report “with their assistance” makes me stay away from it. I guess if you’re under 50 or have cash to throw away with no guarantees it may be for you. Cost for 20 elite premium is over 2 million plus a small annual fee. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jcmj said:

It was a total flop in 2003 and has changed a lot since the original 20 year elite card. With possible amendments, an unstable political situation, and the fact that you have to renew it every 5 years and still have to do the 90 day report “with their assistance” makes me stay away from it. I guess if you’re under 50 or have cash to throw away with no guarantees it may be for you. Cost for 20 elite premium is over 2 million plus a small annual fee. 

Cost for 20 year is 1M.  No annual fees.

90 day reports can be done alone or online in five minutes.

Government's stability issues have not had any real effect on the tourism sector.

TE is a cash cow, so is very unlikely to be effected.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, MrBanks said:

I got the 20 year one for 1 million.

Really glad I did. To date it has been hassle free, no need to prove finances, no need to prove insurance, I do the 90 days on line, takes5 minutes.

The next test will be the 5 year renewal.

We get a monthly newsletter with any appropriate information that we would require regarding our visas.

Regarding how long they have been going, 2003, sounds about right, back then there were different benefits, some better than the current ones. As I understand it the people who have the older versions have never lost any of those benefits, they are just not available on the new visas.

In summary, for me, great value for money.

Use an agent, much, much cheaper and just as reliable. used a few agents over the years I have been here, and all have been reliable except one.

8 hours ago, gascooker said:

Same here, but I got the 10 year BOI/LTR now. 50K is a somewhat lesser risk. Was totally painless to get. "90 days" reports are yearly ????, and income tax exemption is official.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gascooker said:

If you are confident you will want to remain in Thailand, one of the big advantages of the Thailand Elite program is that it insulates you when the immigration laws are changed on a whim. That is, unless you think the Thai authorities will refuse to honour Thailand Elite visas down the road which I consider highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If you are confident you will want to remain in Thailand, one of the big advantages of the Thailand Elite program is that it insulates you when the immigration laws are changed on a whim. That is, unless you think the Thai authorities will refuse to honour Thailand Elite visas down the road which I consider highly unlikely.

I think it’s unlikely, but not impossible. I remember when they first started letting people back into Thailand during the Covid situation, it was Thai citizens only, no permanent residence holders. So, if they can do it to permanent residence holders, then it’s not impossible that they will do it to elite card holders. However, I do think it is extremely unlikely. 

• Thanks 1

My lawyer got an Antigua passport for 100K USD and then got a Thai elite for one million Baht for me to hide my 3 million USD from Patent trolls and told me to go and hide in Thailand for three years. I had never stepped my foot in Thailand prior to that. If I had known that I could buy a retirement visa for 15K in Pattaya I am not sure I would have opted for the elite or not. But I never regretted it. What happened in Thailand with a 19-years old Poseidon model after that is another story. Now I visit Thailand once a year only. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MrBanks said:

The next test will be the 5 year renewal.

As to this I would suggest one thing - make sure you have the full 5 years validity remaining on your passport - if not then renew it  in advance - or the visa expire when the passport expires resulting in 2 trips to wherever you get your visa inserted.

For me this was Chaeng Wattana which must be very handy for those living in Bangkok and the surrounding areas, but not so much when you're further away.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are not yet 50 not working in Thailand and not married to Thai, great way to go.

I would have signed up for another 5 years but at certain point in 2020 the PE visa was actually a hindrance to enter Thailand as you fist had to go through the TEMQ process to get an authorization from MFA before Thai Embassy or Consul would issue the required "Certificate of Entry" . I got an  Non OA from Los Angeles that year.

There is nothing such as the Thailand Elite visa by the way. It is a membership programme offering various benefits and services depending on the package you apply from. Including the PE visa.

• Thanks 1