Rep.-elect George Santos admits to lying about resume, says he’s ‘not a criminal’

Scott

Lets hope the Congressional Ethics Committee will address the George Santos issue ...

I have my doubts though.  

It is against the law to be caught lying to Congress / FBI, but perpetrating a lie to the public to get voted into Congress seems acceptable.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Lets hope the Congressional Ethics Committee will address the George Santos issue ...

I have my doubts though.  

It is against the law to be caught lying to Congress / FBI, but perpetrating a lie to the public to get voted into Congress seems acceptable.

It may be a shame, but it's not a crime.

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

It may be a shame, but it's not a crime.

I didn't say it was a crime.  Just bc it isn't a crime doesn't make it right.

The Congressional Ethics Committee could handle it though.

And of course the people of his NY district could speak up about it.  I don't know if the people can request a Recall Vote ...

The Congressional GOP caucus could also do something about this slimy person, but that is highly unlikely.

BTW:  This should be done for either party when someone blatantly lies like this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Republican Party, a party of traditional values which provides exemplary role models. Heck it is now a party of liers, election deniers and conspiracy theorists. The party need to exorcise these bad elements from the party and revert back to the former glory years of Reagan. 

In theory I agree with you. But it seems about 50% of Americans like it like that. They want MAGA and mega liars.

Give them a choice and, at least in some states, they vote for the liars.

What a strange country. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In theory I agree with you. But it seems about 50% of Americans like it like that. They want MAGA and mega liars.

Give them a choice and, at least in some states, they vote for the liars.

What a strange country. 

It’s around 30%and shrinking more and more every day we are slowly healing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He also ran as an "openly Gay" candidate.

Me may be.

He was previously married and divorced, with/from a woman, a fact he failed to disclose.

And just to keep the lectures brief, yes, we all know many gay men are or have been married to women.

Things just get worse and worse for this fake liar. His campaign was propped up by the Russians

Russian Oligarch’s Cousin Funneled Cash to N.Y. Politician

The cousin and cash handler for one of Russia’s most notorious oligarchs poured tens of thousands of dollars into electing a newly minted congressman-elect who called Ukraine’s government “a totalitarian regime.”

Republican George Devolder-Santos vanquished Democrat Robert Zimmerman this month in the race for a House seat covering parts of Long Island and the New York City borough of Queens—riding a red wave that swept the Empire State this cycle, and washing away two decades of Democratic dominance in the district.

He has insisted that Ukraine “welcomed the Russians into their provinces”—an apparent reference to President Vladimir Putin’s 2014 invasion to prop up rogue separatist parties—and that Ukrainians in the east “feel more Russian than Ukrainian,” even though every single Ukrainian province overwhelmingly voted for independence in 1991.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republican-george-devolder-santos-got-cash-from-andrew-intrater-cousin-of-russian-oligarch-viktor-vekselberg

• Like 1

To paraphrase the old US television ad "this is not your father's Republican Party."

Politicians have always done something in the vicinity of lying, the word used in the US is spin.  But in recent years GOP politicians have been able to blatantly lie and not be taken to task, neither by the party nor any sort of gov't enforcement.  In some cases it's as obvious as asking why the cookie jar is empty and the kid with the crumbs on his face says "it wasn't me," but not as cute.  When the media figures it out they are condemned, "fake news," and that great piece of sage wisdom "haters gonna hate."  This trend really kicked in around 2015: gee, I wonder who started it.  ????

When Republican Rep. Madison Cawthorn made that statement about GOP pols doing coke and having sex parties notice how quickly they gave him the bum's rush.  Proof of how effective they can be when they want to.  Doesn't matter now, their brand is ruined.  

I lived in Brazil for a while.  Last night while watching the news I learned Santos was Brazilian, I immediately had an image of people I know down there who upon learning this would laugh and nod their heads and say "malandro!" (duplicitous).

This guy even looks a little like Kari Lake.

22 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Things just get worse and worse for this fake liar. His campaign was propped up by the Russians

Russian Oligarch’s Cousin Funneled Cash to N.Y. Politician

The cousin and cash handler for one of Russia’s most notorious oligarchs poured tens of thousands of dollars into electing a newly minted congressman-elect who called Ukraine’s government “a totalitarian regime.”

Republican George Devolder-Santos vanquished Democrat Robert Zimmerman this month in the race for a House seat covering parts of Long Island and the New York City borough of Queens—riding a red wave that swept the Empire State this cycle, and washing away two decades of Democratic dominance in the district.

He has insisted that Ukraine “welcomed the Russians into their provinces”—an apparent reference to President Vladimir Putin’s 2014 invasion to prop up rogue separatist parties—and that Ukrainians in the east “feel more Russian than Ukrainian,” even though every single Ukrainian province overwhelmingly voted for independence in 1991.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republican-george-devolder-santos-got-cash-from-andrew-intrater-cousin-of-russian-oligarch-viktor-vekselberg

According to reports I have read, he acquired some 700,000 Dollars to fund his campaign, no one is quite sure where from.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 8:17 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Santos speaks to two Conservative media outlets and declares “that he hasn’t committed any crimes

Liars lie.

And other news channels might be a little more probing with their journalism.

He’s got a target on his lying head.

As I was saying:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nassau-county-prosecutors-open-investigation-into-rep-elect-george-santos/4018125/

Is he even a U.S. citizen? R-Brazil?

Can we see his birth certificate?

Or if he is naturalized does he meet the Article I, Sec. 2 requirements?

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.  Art. I Section 2

Some are saying he has told the New York Republican establishment that he will NOT run for re-election in 2024.

He should be embarrassed to leave his house much less serve in the house.

Most people including me have puffed up their resumes and presented themselves in the last best possible light. That is expected.

But his resume is so puffed up with total lies  that it exploded  like the Hindunberg.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

His problems will start when he he tries to explain how he loaned his campaign 770 large when he has declared only 5,000 net assets the past few years?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/george-santos-vows-to-immediately-look-into-his-campaign-loans-after-being-told-they-look-illegal/ar-AA15L7vU

https://www.theleaderonline.com/single-post/santos-filings-now-claim-net-worth-of-11-million

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 5:28 PM, ozimoron said:

Lying seems to the the core of the right wing playbook these days. It's been normalised. Sad.

Lying seems to the the core of the left wing playbook these days. It's been normalised. Sad.

• Thanks 1