Heinz Baked Beans in Pattaya

LoeiI

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I prefer Branston baked beans to Heinz but the best substitute for the latter is Fiamma in a yellow can. I've bought them at Big C but pretty sure they can be found at makro and other places.

I buy some of the brands mentioned here, usually from Oz or Nz that are of a similar taste to UK ones, Branston too. But I avoid anything that might come from some questionable factory in India or Bangladesh... no concept of hygiene, and odd tasting. 

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I have always bought Ayam but have noticed recently much more thin juice in the can, instead of beans. Shrinkflation?

Have not had recently but in past there were about 3 different versions and believe one had thin juice - one was much better than the others but forget exact name.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, Gsxrnz said:

Branston with the mini sausages for me.  Just bought a dozen tins at Foodland in Jomtien.

During and after the <deleted>, supplies of many imported European foodstuffs have become erratic and unreliable. 

My cupboards are chocka with a few hoarded items, Branston beans and HP Sauce included.

I bought some HP Sauce in a plastic squeeze bottle, but it somehow seems sacrilegious using it after 60 years of shaking the traditional square bottle.

So now I refill my empty traditional bottle from the plastic version.  Tradition preserved. :coffee1:

Nowt wrong with being an HP sauce Luddite but are you sure those things in the Branston beans cans are really sausages?

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:19 PM, sungod said:

'Churchil's Munchies'

I went by there today hoping to pick up a few things.....not open.

Would you happen to know 

1) Don't open Sundays.

2) Don't open before 10.45

3) Don't open no more?

No posted notice giving any clue...

20230108_103603_02.thumb.jpg.bb7d124b8b65b60c60a4b2d37bccfe91.jpg

Edited by jacko45k

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I'm off out today and will see the guy who I mentioned in my posts who sells farang foods. Maybe, just maybe he knows of 'Churchill's Munchies'.

Seems random, I go by often, got a feeling WS manager may know.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I went by there today hoping to pick up a few things.....not open.

Would you happen to know 

1) Don't open Sundays.

2) Don't open before 10.45

3) Don't open no more?

No posted notice giving any clue...

20230108_103603_02.thumb.jpg.bb7d124b8b65b60c60a4b2d37bccfe91.jpg

Reported......

Due to staff illness we are currently closed sorry for any inconvenience

No further info

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, NoshowJones said:

No! Some have better flavoured tomato sauce as well as better tasting beans. IMO HP beans.

A teaspoon of curry powder in them, and they're all the same.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:37 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

The guy I buy food from sells HP sauce in 2L plastic bottles. No squeeze. Sorry I can't recall the price.

IMG_20221230_093305.jpg

Can you have them for false notice........it is NOT original HP sauce as it is now made in Holland to a different recipe.

• Haha 1

I'm a big fan of both baked beans and HP sauce.  HP sauce was actually invented by Garston sauce co. in Basford, Nottingham, in the 1890s. They also made Daddies brown sauce. The recipes got sold to Midland Vinegar Co. near Aston. That became HP-Smedley foods.  They got sold to the French (Danone) in the late 1980s and then Danone sold to Heinz in 2006. Heinz promised to keep production in Aston but promptly reneged on that and moved HP sauce to Netherlands. Last time I drove past the old Aston site it was a huge distribution centre for an Indian food company.

The upshot of this is that both Heinz and HP beans (in the UK) are made in the same factory. HP beans have a lower tomato content and more water, IIRC they also have artificial sweetner.

Branston beans are now owned by Mizkan (Japanese), along with all the other Premier foods brands (Sarsons, Crosse & Blackwell, Heywards etc).

My favourite beans in the UK are Lidl's Newgate brand. They have a high bean and tomato content and added spices - low price too..   Made in Netherlands I believe.

In Thailand I buy the Ayam 'English' baked beans - not too bad and usually not extortionately priced.

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry Oz, it's made in Spain & Holland.

But I was asking where Ivor bought the 2l bottles.

So why does the food barcode(500) indicate its origin is the UK

Edited by ozfarang