What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

18 hours ago, xylophone said:

I noticed on BBC iPlayer that there was a movie from the 80s, called "Manhunter", the title of which I vaguely remembered, but could remember nothing about the film itself, so I decided to watch it, and am so pleased that I did because it was a very entertaining/good movie IMO.

Thanks @xylophone. Quite a few familiar faces in the cast. Downloading now from TGx.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thumbs Up 1

Had an overwhelming urge to watch "The Accountant" again, so downloaded it and enjoyed it. Despite some poor feedback I have always like Ben Affleck, and another favourite of mine is, "Live by night" which I think is great, so if anyone hasn't watched it, give it a try and I think you will be surprised, despite an average ImDB rating.

I'm really enjoying ........ The Inheritance....definitely different (Better) then I thought---just 4 episodes --twisted plot.

and --- Hidden Assets season 2  The struggle over the drug importation--and the Killing goes on.

On 9/11/2023 at 12:23 PM, xylophone said:

I noticed on BBC iPlayer that there was a movie from the 80s, called "Manhunter", the title of which I vaguely remembered, but could remember nothing about the film itself, so I decided to watch it, and am so pleased that I did because it was a very entertaining/good movie IMO.

Always like the scene with the blind girl and the tiger.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

The Sixth Commandment 

Follows the deaths of Peter Farquhar and Ann Moore-Martin in the village of Maids Moreton, Buckinghamshire, and the extraordinary events that unfolded in the following years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20916306/

Can't believe this was based on real life events!!! 

I really liked this short series and the acting was brilliant and the key character (the murderer) played the role so well as to really hate/despise him!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think you're thinking of Red Dragon... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289765/

I thought Ralph Fiennes was excellent in this... 

Nope, it was Manhunter with Tom Noonan, which was based on the novel Red Dragon, but the movie named Red Dragon had Anthony Hopkins. Joan Allen was the blind girl in Manhunter.

Edited by giddyup
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If we're talking about the Movie, then it was Red Dragon with Ralph Fiennes... 

Ignore me, I've just remembered that Red Dragon is a remake of Man Hunter but I remember Ralph Fiennes as Frances Dolarhyde more so the above clip came to mind

Funny but the black girl who played FD's GF in the original movie also came to mind when I thought of that scene... so I sort of 1/2 remembered them both ???? 

If I had to choose I'd say Manhunter was the better movie. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Ignore me, I've just remembered that Red Dragon is a remake of Man Hunter but I remember Ralph Fiennes as Frances Dolarhyde more so the above clip came to mind

Funny but the black girl who played FD's GF in the original movie also came to mind when I thought of that scene... so I sort of 1/2 remembered them both ???? 

If I had to choose I'd say Manhunter was the better movie. 

I think FD's girlfriend in Manhunter was the blind girl (Joan Allen) who was white.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I think FD's girlfriend in Manhunter was the blind girl (Joan Allen) who was white.

Lol, absolutely correct again & for anybody who's interested, here's the scene from Manhunter...

Now it's going to bug me why I got an image in my head of a Blind Black girl stroking a tiger when I thought of that scene :S 

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Lol, absolutely correct again & for anybody who's interested, here's the scene from Manhunter...

Now it's going to bug me why I got an image in my head of a Blind Black girl stroking a tiger when I thought of that scene :S 

I put myself in her shoes and tried to imagine how it felt to run your hands over a huge tiger when you'd never ever seen one.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

I put myself in her shoes and tried to imagine how it felt to run your hands over a huge tiger when you'd never ever seen one.

30+ years since I read the book but I seem to remember the story behind that scene was that one of the last things she saw before being blind was a Tiger so I can only imagine how it must have felt to her to touch one. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

I managed to find some real oldies on BBC iPlayer, so thought I'd give them a go: –

The first one was, "Scott of the Antarctic" which was made in 1948 and starred Jon Mills and Kenneth Moore, along with James Robertson Justice and others, and I nearly switched it off in the first few scenes when the backdrops were clearly painted to look like countryside scenery, however I kept on with it and was pleased that I did.

I had seen the movie "Amundsen", which I thought was very good, and in it they made mention of the Scott expedition and basically scoffed at the idea that the British were taking ponies and motorised sledges, neither of which had been really tested in the Antarctic, and they proved to be right, because they were the downfall Scott's expedition. So pleased that I kept watching it because it was a good movie.

I then found another oldie called, "The Big Country", a Western with Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives and others, and I'd never seen it before, so I watched that last night and enjoyed it, and I'm lining up another one called, "The Spy who came in from the Cold".

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I just wish it had subs, the accents can be a bit strong.

I mostly use subs from Subscene-subtitles as my hearing is not what it used to be...

Its easy to do they are very small files, find the matching bitrate sub and download the file then extract it into the movie folder.

I believe there is also an automatic subtitle generator you can download, rather like youtube closed subs, I have never tried it so dont know more

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I mostly use subs from subscene-subtitles as my hearing is not what it used to be...

Its easy to do they are very small files, get the matching bitrate sub and download the file then extract it into the movie folder.

I believe there is also an automatic subtitle generator you can download, rather like youtube closed subs, I have never tried it so dont know more

If you use VLC player for your movies and series, it is also easy to download subs in any language through the VLC app

• Like 2