Thailand Remains Popular Destination for Russian Tourists

snoop1130

e77684f460de7253a5ba1156b7ea1cf1_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand has seen a significant increase in Russian visitors in recent months, with reports indicating that the number of arrivals doubled in November and was nearly seven times higher than in September.

According to reports, Thailand welcomed around 1.75 million foreign visitors in November. The number also showed a significant increase in Russian tourists to the country, exceeding the increase in arrivals from countries in the run-up to the peak travel season.

Officials reported 108,985 arrivals from Russia in November, up from 44,314 in October and 15,900 in September. The number of Russian visitors in November represented roughly 60% of those who visited in the same month in 2019.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) reported that Phuket remains a popular destination for Russians, who account for around one-fourth of the island’s visitors due to direct flights between Moscow and Bangkok. More families are reportedly renting properties and extending their vacations from sixteen days to a few months.

Full Story: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221229124016161

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

47 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

draft dodgers?

With cause.

Escapees? 

Word is Elite Visas are now flying off the shelves with Russian buyers.

Of course Thailand won't offer actual asylum like countries like Canada might in some cases.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, proton said:

Yes first went to Russia in 1970. Chinese are the worlds worst tourists, noisy, spitting, queue jumping at the airport, seen all that. Russians are far more cultured and better mannered.

I did not notice that Russians where rude when I was in Russia but they sure are rude here. I will have to see if the Chinese match and surpass the Russians on the Chinese return.

The spitting in China is something that was a bit off putting and I really did not like putting my bag on the floor of trains or buses but I loved traveling in China.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I did not notice that Russians where rude when I was in Russia but they sure are rude here.

Perhaps Russia (in the past anyway) have not been sending Thailand it's best people? The scene in the past was dominated by some very rough types seemingly often from Siberia.

Some of the refugees are some of their best people. 

Another thing about Russian rudeness that may apply to many other groups as well. Pretty decent to deal with individually but when in GROUPS, Katie bar the door!

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

With cause.

Escapees? 

Word is Elite Visas are now flying off the shelves with Russian buyers.

Of course Thailand won't offer actual asylum like countries like Canada might in some cases.

The rich will always find a way out of fighting for their country. I guess they don't have an exemption for bone spurs.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sir Dude said:

"Thailand remains a destination for anyone" because it doesn't care about anything, other than money, and is only interested in the financial pay-off... to hell with principles and anything else that is inconvenient to their "narrative'. Pfft.

Not so different from continuing to buy Russian oil.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The rich will always find a way out of fighting for their country. I guess they don't have an exemption for bone spurs.

Note that the run for the borders started to happen when evil dicator Putin started his mass mobilization which started to hit Russians in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I don't think just being upper middle class is a shield. "Rich" is relative. The actual Russian rich seem to be "jumping" out of windows all the time these days. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Not so different from continuing to buy Russian oil.

I think it's OK to welcome Russians that are fleeing. Look at Georgia. Russians get an instant one year stay technically renewable just for showing up. That shows great compassion especially considering it has made Tblisi unaffordable for less wealthy Georgians. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

Yes first went to Russia in 1970. Chinese are the worlds worst tourists, noisy, spitting, queue jumping at the airport, seen all that. Russians are far more cultured and better mannered.

Seconded. Just yesterday a Chinese tourist tried to steal one of my bags here in New Zealand. (And I never met such brazen pickpockets as I did when I lived in China.) I also noticed everything else you mentioned. - The Chinese even acknowledge that they are 'the worst tourists in the world'. 

Never met a rude Russian.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Seconded. Just yesterday a Chinese tourist tried to steal one of my bags here in New Zealand. (And I never met such brazen pickpockets as I did when I lived in China.) I also noticed everything else you mentioned. - The Chinese even acknowledge that they are 'the worst tourists in the world'. 

Never met a rude Russian.

even when drunk

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another thing about Russian rudeness that may apply to many other groups as well. Pretty decent to deal with individually but when in GROUPS, Katie bar the door!

This is true of every country.  Individuals are usually fine and genuine, but in a pack that all changes.  I try to avoid large groups but will chat with anyone one on one ... and I seem to meet great people.

• Like 1