Overstay stamp in passport

5 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

PS: I received my latest TR60 E-visa a couple of hours ago, so clearly no issues.

Already stated short or even longer overstays have very little issue on returning to thailand.

Note you opted for a tourist Evisa 

With visa exempt entry currently 45 days seems strange choice. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

With visa exempt entry currently 45 days seems strange choice. 

I'm coming for more than 75 but less than 90 days and so extending a VE45 would not give me enough - I'm trying to behave this time.

Edited by London Lowf

Bit off topic however perhaps useful info for anyone taking Thai partner to Japan.

Thai receive 15 days  visa exempt entry and the strange thing is the first day count starts next day after arrival..

Unlike Thailand and most other countries 

On 12/30/2022 at 1:49 PM, Old Croc said:

Do you not buy return tickets for the allowable time? I work out my return date at that stage.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, London Lowf said:

Because I bought my flights before I got the stamps in my passport - obviously!

Yes, hence my point. You should know what stamp you will get (don't you) and buy the ticket to fit that time period.

I have an 8 day overstay stamped in my passport, it arose between the end of my initial 90-day Non-O obtained abroad and the subsequent 1 year extension. Not my fault exactly, I sent my passport via EMS to a recommended  agent in Bangkok, but they were in a huge building and it got delivered to the wrong company - I think it was even delivered to an adjoining building. It too a few days to track it down and locate it, and in the meantime I went into overstay. Mai-pen-rai said the agency but a very worrying time for me, during which I never left the house.  Anyway, more to the point and the OP's question, I did the renewal myself the following year and it was never even mentioned, didn't cause any problem at all.  In regards to Thai Elite, I have also spoken to them who said once isn't a problem in obtaining that.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, Old Croc said:

This I can't understand. The arrival stamp clearly states the date your stay ends. See the OP. Why wouldn't you pay attention by casting a glance at your passport?

Some people count the days in order to book their return flight, reasoning that, say, 1 January to 2 January is 1 day. 

No matter what time you arrive, that counts as "1 day". As soon as midnight comes, you've used a day.

Arrive 23:55. 6 minutes later you are already on day 2.

Of course, If your fight is supposed to arrive at 23:30 and you actually arrive at 00:30, you are still already on day 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

In regards to Thai Elite, I have also spoken to them who said once isn't a problem in obtaining that.

That's correct, a single (reasonably short-ish) overstay isn't a problem with Thai Elite.

But it's something worth keeping in mind. As it's quite easy to go on a short overstay by accident (as in your case), in the current climate it's best to avoid planned overstays, even short ones.

Typical scenario, someone flying out 2-3 days late, the overstay fine would be lower than the extension fee. So in the past, the go-to recommendation used to be to just pay the fine on the way out. Nowadays that could have consequences in combination with another recent overstay.

5 hours ago, Peabody said:

Some people count the days in order to book their return flight, reasoning that, say, 1 January to 2 January is 1 day. 

No matter what time you arrive, that counts as "1 day". As soon as midnight comes, you've used a day.

Arrive 23:55. 6 minutes later you are already on day 2.

Of course, If your fight is supposed to arrive at 23:30 and you actually arrive at 00:30, you are still already on day 2!

"Some people" make their life unnecessarily complicated.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:26 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Correct always stamped as I had it done in 2004, then again in my new passport in 2010. 1 day overstay as I miscalculated my 30 days like the OP did when I was doing the fly out fly in and never paid attention to the until date as I was always on my US time.

Never had it affect anything including moving onto extension of stays.

whats to miscalculate???

it clearly states the date valid till

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

It will be noted in the Immigration database and whilst having no effect right now, the future may tell a different story. Hopefully not but you don't know.

Very true, and more broadly they can change anything at any time. For example, there could become a time when they start to require compulsory medical insurance for standard Non-O extensions. Or they increase the 800k. Anything can happen.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

For example, there could become a time when they start to require compulsory....

"There could become a time...."

Oh dear the soothsayers came out early in 2023. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1