146 people die, 1,182 injured in Thailand on first three days of New Year break

snoop1130

F6CD60CC-35C1-40D2-84A9-A7D0BF6CF375.jpeg

The death toll in road accidents during the first three days of the seven-day New Year holidays has risen to 146 and 1,182 people have been injured in 1,183 accidents, according to the Department of Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation today (Sunday).

59 people were killed and 467 others were injured in 466 road accidents yesterday alone. 36.70% of the accidents were caused by speeding and 30.04% involved drunk driving. Motorcycles were involved in 82.56% of the accidents. 80.90% of the incidents occurred on straight roads.

During the past three days, a total of 424,745 cars and motorcycles were stopped by police and other officials for examination. 67,203 drivers have been charged, including 18,964 for not having a license, 18,116 for not wearing a crash helmet and 8,497 for speeding.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/146-people-die-1182-injured-in-thailand-on-first-three-days-of-new-year-break/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Straight!!!!!   Perfectly straight!!!!!  No trees, either.   Cloudy day, no problems with visibility.  no wind.   NOTHING!!!!!!  and yet 81% still are crashing away...... 

There's a reason for that: During the past three days, a total of 424,745 cars and motorcycles were stopped by police and other officials for examination. 67,203 drivers have been charged, including 18,964 for not having a license.

That nearly 19,000. In just three days. I live on a long straight road, perfect visibility, and in the 10 years I've lived in the house within 300 metres we've had at least 20 accidents involving death, amputation, wrecked cars, one car flying through a tree, lorries in ditches or on their side. Whenever I see a car driving slowly I just assume the driver has no license, the driver is drunk, or both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

During the past three days, a total of 424,745 cars and motorcycles were stopped by police and other officials for examination. 67,203 drivers have been charged, including 18,964 for not having a license, 18,116 for not wearing a crash helmet and 8,497 for speeding.

Gosh!  The police sure were busy little beavers this holiday weekend.

Wonder how much unreceipted cash was collected for the policeman's benevolent fund?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

It’s easy to see how they can crash on straight roads, our experience earlier today albeit on a normal 2 lane road. Driving alone perfectly safely until a stream of cars coming the opposite direction, 1 Toyota pickup although he can clearly see me as visibility is excellent and a perfect straight road but he still overtakes just a few yards in front of me forcing me onto the edge of the road. My wife strangely criticises me saying I should have moved over for him to which I reply you only overtake when it is safe to do so and not blatantly in front of oncoming traffic. 

Agreed. I also believe many locals think that if the car in front of them overtakes another car/truck/bus, it is perfectly safe for them to do likewise.

Something to do with "hurry up and wait?"

????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Yes and the police are in their tents looking at their phones watching drivers speed past it's sad really

Exactly. Last night around 9;45, on the way back to my girlfriends after a party for her son and his girlfriends engagement, I was driving on 24 West around 100 kmh. Two trucks passed me going at a rate I'd guess of at least 170 KMH or more. Like I was standing still, maybe two meters apart from each other.Just ahead was a tent with at least 5 police, all on their phones and sitting. I believe the speed limit on 24 there is 110 or so.

• Like 1

Normal in Thailand 25.000 traffic deaths a year makes 68 a day.... so in 3 dangerous days only 146 instead of of 204.. Wish it was holiday everyday....58 less than on normal days...makes 17.763 deaths a year. almost 8.000 less.... A very good improvement. Why are these days called the dangerous days??? Or is it just a feel good ction and must the number be added to the average daily total??

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

hilarious this statistic exists.   as if to say, 81% of the people are really, really playing at a different standard deviation than the rest of us.    Straight!!!!!   Perfectly straight!!!!!  No trees, either.   Cloudy day, no problems with visibility.  no wind.   NOTHING!!!!!!  and yet 81% still are crashing away...... 

Brake no work. No my fault. Farang fault for being here at same time me. Have only 4 drink, no ploblem.

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's a reason for that: During the past three days, a total of 424,745 cars and motorcycles were stopped by police and other officials for examination. 67,203 drivers have been charged, including 18,964 for not having a license.

That nearly 19,000. In just three days. I live on a long straight road, perfect visibility, and in the 10 years I've lived in the house within 300 metres we've had at least 20 accidents involving death, amputation, wrecked cars, one car flying through a tree, lorries in ditches or on their side. Whenever I see a car driving slowly I just assume the driver has no license, the driver is drunk, or both.

Or asleep