3 Month Bank statement for Immigration

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

I guess they won't like it as it much more work for them

Indeed.

That's why you may receive some "attitude" however there are many reasons why someone may wish to return to based on marriage apart from financial. 

Clearly the money in bank is not an issue for you.

I can understand why the ME non O marriage that some get from Savannakhet is popular, especially for those that enjoy travel. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

There has been numerous cases of farangs bank account getting lighter.

please elaborate...

unless someone gave his thai sweetheart his pin code (you got to be an imbecile to do that), i haven's heard of such thing

Edited by MasterBaker

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Reckon 90% of the cases are,  Wives, Girlfriends, Boyfriends. or other family members.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Never asked me for statement (fixed acc 800,000). CM never asked me and CW did not ask either (they needed to see my old bank book), last year. 

I can only say TiT. I just last week went to IO and they said for renewal of extension I need 3 month statement from Bank. 

You are lucky that you don’t need it ????????

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I can only say TiT. I just last week went to IO and they said for renewal of extension I need 3 month statement from Bank. 

You are lucky that you don’t need it ????????

I'm not sure for my next extension, immigration is full of surprises. You never know. 

9 hours ago, Don Chance said:

9 hours ago, n00dle said:

Oh really.

Then you wouldn't mind linking to only one of them?

9 hours ago, MJCM said:

????

8 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

please elaborate...

unless someone gave his thai sweetheart his pin code (you got to be an imbecile to do that), i haven's heard of such thing

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Reckon 90% of the cases are,  Wives, Girlfriends, Boyfriends. or other family members.

I don't think that there have been numerous cases, but I am certainly aware of one particular incident involving a Bangkok Bank branch in Uttaradit in 2018, where at least 3 customers had their accounts relieved of significant amounts, thanks to fraudulent activities perpetrated by a bent bank official. It is, however, not clear from this Nation article whether any of them were foreign retirees:

https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30357034

It is, of course, impossible to eliminate completely the risk of those of us retirees using the 400k/800k method having accounts holding required minimum balances depleted through bank fraud. While we can certainly minimise this risk through having no cards nor internet access linked to relevant accounts, there is, unfortunately, absolutely nothing that we can do to guard against the predations of crooked bank employees as in the 2018 case in Uttaradit. That said, however, it is IMHO essential that we retirees using the 400k/800k method weigh up the risk of falling victim to bank fraud in this way against other risks which we face in our daily lives - including, for example, being involved in a horrific road accident while en route to our local immigration office to apply for our latest retirement extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, MJCM said:

Someone said that getting a Retirement Extension is easy, but I never had any problems with Bank Letters / statements etc etc when I was still on the extension based on Marriage.

The only reason I switched was because I ???? the under consideration period (up to 45 days), but now seriously thinking of switching back.

Will of course report back how everything goes (next week somewhere)

Good luck and courage. Stay calm if possible! Should be easy but it's also very easy to get your knickers in a twist and / or be given the run around by a mischievous IO over this requirement in !y experience.

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

I don't think that there have been numerous cases, but I am certainly aware of one particular incident involving a Bangkok Bank branch in Uttaradit in 2018, where at least 3 customers had their accounts relieved of significant amounts, thanks to fraudulent activities perpetrated by a bent bank official. It is, however, not clear from this Nation article whether any of them were foreign retirees:

It is, of course, impossible to eliminate completely the risk of those of us retirees using the 400k/800k method having accounts holding required minimum balances depleted through bank fraud. While we can certainly minimise this risk through having no cards nor internet access linked to relevant accounts, there is, unfortunately, absolutely nothing that we can do to guard against the predations of crooked bank employees as in the 2018 case in Uttaradit. That said, however, it is IMHO essential that we retirees using the 400k/800k method weigh up the risk of falling victim to bank fraud in this way against other risks which we face in our daily lives - including, for example, being involved in a horrific road accident while en route to our local immigration office to apply for our latest retirement extension. 

I think its very important to keep a very close eye on your bank accounts.

and make sure you access your accounts on a regular basis.

just to show its not dormant. 

But saying that i have no fear of the banks in Thailand.

25 years of accounts, 5 at present, with 3 different banks , never had an issue.

Just watch out for ,wives, girlfriends, boyfriend's, family members.

Or the very outside chance,   of naughty bank staff.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

And, as a result of some memory-jogging (and with Google's assistance), I have now come across a second more recent incident involving a crooked Kasikorn branch assistant manager in Pattaya, which definitely did have a negative impact on some local expats:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-fraud-victims-ignored-by-bank-and-police-stage-protest-384080

Even so, 2 incidents in 5 years do not exactly constitute "numerous" cases IMHO!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't the book show how much the balance is over the year, every time a withdrawal or deposit happens the balance is shown in the book, I give a photo copy of every page of the book, a letter from the bank stating the balance and a small withdrawal or deposit on the day I attend the IO

13 hours ago, salavan said:

Doesn't the book show how much the balance is over the year, every time a withdrawal or deposit happens the balance is shown in the book, 

Not always for all banks.

Some will consolidate all transactions and just show a new balance,

if you don't up date your pass book all the time.

K bank did this to me. think it was about 11 months  could be more, with out an update.

( many, many transactions )

went in to branch at lotus Jomtien, as knew I  would need a new passbook as it was near full,  lady just updated it to current balance, on one line.

Not a problem,  as I don't use this bank for immigration money.

Edited by Orinoco

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

K bank did this to me. think it was about 11 months  could be more, with out an update.

Bangkok Bank (AFAIK) it's only 3 months not updating bank book that they start to consolidate entries, but only for Savings Accounts. Not for FD (Fixed Deposit accounts)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:54 PM, OJAS said:

Thailand DPA give all depositors protection up to 1mln baht. personally, eating street food and driving motorbike in Thailand more dangerous than letting bank keep your money. of cause there are always a bummers and i feel sorry, $#%t happens

Update:

Just came back from Immigration with a New Year Extension

First thing in the morning (9amish) I transferred 2k THB to my FD account.

10:30 - went to the Bank to get a 3 Month Statement and also the Bank Letter.

As I already suspected the 3 Month statement had the Balance of YESTERDAY, Bbbbbbuuuuuuuuutttttttttttt the BANK Letter had the new Balance of Today (which also included the added funds from this morning)

No questions asked when I gave the bank documents Incl the statement and the bank letter to the IO.

20 minutes later I walked out of Immigration with a new Year Extension, which also included a NEW 90 day report date (from today) plus a paper stapled in my passport that my Wife registered me at the property (already there since day 1) but the added that as well.

Overall a painless exercise, which took 45 minutes in the Bank and 45 Min in IO (we arrived during their lunch break)

Forgot: Also came back with a TIP

You don't need to get a 1 year statement from the Bank which will take 7 working days, but what you can do is the following

For example extension as mine which runs from Jan 2023 - Jan 2024

Get a 6 Month statement from your Bank (can get it the same day) somewhere in July which is 6 months from January

And then get another 6 month statement in January (before you go to Immigration)

Thus then you have a "12 month" statement :thumbsup:

I hope it helps someone

• Thumbs Up 1

Another Forgot

@Mutt Daeng

The 3 Month statement I omitted from the papers I left at the front desk with the trainees, but as soon as the IO scanned through the docs, he said "3 Month Statement", so I gave it to him.

But the YHB book (which they said I would need on my previous visit last week) wasn't asked for (I had it though ???? )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Another Forgot

@Mutt Daeng

The 3 Month statement I omitted from the papers I left at the front desk with the trainees, but as soon as the IO scanned through the docs, he said "3 Month Statement", so I gave it to him.

But the YHB book (which they said I would need on my previous visit last week) wasn't asked for (I had it though ???? )

OK Thanks for the update @MJCM. Good news about the YB. I wonder if they wanted the statement because your bank account is a fixed deposit account? Does the account have a passbook?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I wonder if they wanted the statement because your bank account is a fixed deposit account? Does the account have a passbook?

Yes it has

Another issue today was that my old FD bank book was full so I got a new one also today.

Fortunately there is a Copy Shop on the side road from Big C which did all the copying (old bank book last updated pages, new bank book first page, new bank book 2nd page and Bank Letter and Ban statement (2 pages)) for the staggering amount of 14 THB (2 THB per page)

• Thanks 1

What it boils down to is a passbook may not report varying balances, whether a typical savings acct or a fixed savings acct, since a person may not frequently update the passbook, transactions (e.g., deposits/withdrawals/charges) may not be individually reflected but consolidated into one updated balance, just various things that can cause a passbook not to reflect all transactions which affects the daily balance.

But when getting a 3 to 12 month statement "every" transaction/daily balance will be reflected.  And there are some accounts that don't come with bank passbooks...so, with no passbook then a statement is required.   

I expect the age of passbooks will continue to slowly fade away in Thailand like it has faded away years ago in many countries....and all Thai banks will have improved bank IT systems which will allow them to produce 12 months (or more) statements on-the-spot/within minutes......all of this will drive a statement vs a passbook becoming the required document to prove a person's acct balance met visa/extension requirements.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pib said:

What it boils down to is a passbook may not report varying balances, whether a typical savings acct or a fixed savings acct, since a person may not frequently update the passbook, transactions (e.g., deposits/withdrawals/charges) may not be individually reflected but consolidated into one updated balance, just various things that can cause a passbook not to reflect all transactions which affects the daily balance.

I only update my FD Bank Book maybe once or 2 times a year, but from what I can see is that ALL transactions are recorded and not consolidated.

Bbbbuuuttt my Savings account which I (tend) to update more frequent has consolidated entries if I hadn't update it for more then 3 months.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I only update my FD Bank Book maybe once or 2 times a year, but from what I can see is that ALL transactions are recorded and not consolidated.

Various fixed deposit accts exist.  Some you can add to after opening....and some that can be added to only during a special window of time like the first few months after opening.  And interest is only usually paid when the fixed deposit matures and/or annually. 

All of this usually results in few transactions like if a person had a 12 month fixed acct the only transaction to appear over those 12 months could be the interest payment after 12 months.

Without no or very few transactions appearing and immigration in a grove of wanting to see frequent transactions to give them a warm fuzzy the acct balance probably never dropped below minimum extension balance requirements a passbook showing few transactions can easily trigger immigration into asking for a 3 to 12 month statement since immigration knows a statement will show all transactions/all balance changes....no consolidated entries.

Yea, as the era of many paper-based banking docs like passbooks slowly fades in Thailand I expect immigration will start requiring statements especially since a statement provides a more accurate confirmation of transactions/balances over a selected timeframe.

• Like 1

@Pib

What I am going to do now, is every month (for one year) transfer the min. required amount of 2k THB to my Fixed Deposit account.

This will have the result that in subsequent years that on the same day (of the following year) that specific amount gets a new 1 year term. (and interest is deposited and tax is withdrawn)

So that means I will have movement every month of the year in my FD Account when I get my statement for Extension renewal.

One disadvantage of course is that the bank book will fill up more quickly :whistling: (I am now on my 2nd Bank Book for the account which I opened in 2017)

• Thumbs Up 1