Thai customs stopping packages.

TimeMachine

I've just received a message that Thai customs have stopped a package to my lady partner in Thailand from aliexpress. A few random items totalling about 1000 baht. Nothing dangerous at all. Electronics parts like led, temperature reader gun. The only thing I can think caught their eye, a balaclava.

anybody else getting their small packages stopped?

I wonder if "temperature reader gun" might have caught their eye :whistling:

As above, it's unusual for small, low-value packages to get snagged. Just provide the requested info. and see what transpires. 

8 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I've just received a message that Thai customs have stopped a package to my lady partner in Thailand from aliexpress ...

anybody else getting their small packages stopped?

I had a small package from Japan intercepted by Customs (using Japan post and Thailand Post here) and had duty charged a few weeks ago.   Just luck of the draw.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Docoment thoroughly what's in the parcel, preferable with product page and link, and customs release within few days, unless item not allowed in Thailand.

Last month my parcel was in custom 4 days until they accepted my product page and links.

My parcels was valued way more than 1500 baht limit, but  vat tax was already paid when purchased.

I'm bringing a 3500baht grill through the airport.   Last time I flew in, the pay duty lane was closed so I had to go to the nothing to declare line and the guy whisked me right though.   I had my usual crates of food, and when I told him that, I got the mai pen rai.

6 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I'm bringing a 3500baht grill through the airport.   Last time I flew in, the pay duty lane was closed so I had to go to the nothing to declare line and the guy whisked me right though.   I had my usual crates of food, and when I told him that, I got the mai pen rai.

Bringing things in through the airport green vs red lane is somewhat different than duty in shipped (posted) items.... 

Customs at the airport seem extremely relaxed - I’ve brought in loads of stuff from Bikes, to Skiis to Pushchairs, car seats etc...  I’ve only had to put one bag through the x-ray machine once in over a decade.

Customs via ‘post /shipping’ are also very relaxed, but do stop some items from time to time. As another poster mentioned, it depends on who is ‘shipping the items’.... DHL / FedEx are a sure way to get your item stopped / taxed. 

----

I had some clothes ordered for my Son (from Next online) - About 1000 baht (if I recall correctly)... I was taxed something in the region of 600 baht (can’t remember)... but it was a large chunk of the item which ‘should’ have fallen below the tax threshold...    We had to pay...  > Slightly irritating but not a show-stopper, I’m still in ‘credit’ given the two bottles of Whisky I bring in each time I fly in !!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bringing things in through the airport green vs red lane is somewhat different than duty in shipped (posted) items.... 

Customs at the airport seem extremely relaxed - I’ve brought in loads of stuff from Bikes, to Skiis to Pushchairs, car seats etc...  I’ve only had to put one bag through the x-ray machine once in over a decade.

Thanks for that Richard.  Looked like on the Customs website, I'm good with personal belongings under 20,000 baht.   I'd be well under that.

Agree with your comments on shipped items.   I always use the postal service rather than DHL/FEDEX/UPS...and I have never had a problem.   in addition to the normal shipments, I've twice shipped documents using US Postal Service Global Express Guaranteed.  About $75 at the time, but they missed the delivery commitment by one day........on two separate occasions...... and they refunded the fee both times.