BREAKING: Thailand issues NEW Covid entry requirements effective January 9th.

Social Media

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

"Non-Thai passengers arriving from countries which refuse entry to infected people must have taken out COVID insurance, valid throughout their stay in Thailand plus seven days, before their departure for Thailand. "

Which are the countries which refuse entry to infected people?

India is one.  I've not heard of any others, yet.  Most countries only require people coming from China to be tested.

1 minute ago, mikeymike100 said:

So to not discriminate against the Chinese, all foreigners must show proof to the check in staff, wherever they are coming from, that they have at least 2 vaccinations on the approved list?

This goes into affect on Jan 9th, this year?

So any foreigners, not vaccinated and have already booked a non refundable ticket to Thailand in January, are in trouble apparently?

All the other countries have decided only people coming from China need to show proof of vaccination. Now these folks will not have booked yet, as the in country ban has only been lifted very recently, so they can sort their vaccinations out first?

Looks like Thailand bowing to their masters again? They don't care about tourists only Chinese tourists? I'm shocked!

I'm having trouble mustering any sympathy.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, basically none of us need insurance unless flying to countries requiring testing. I'm ok with jus flashing my vaccine cards - but you just know they will soon try to cash in on it.

yep here we go again..money must be getting short 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Robin said:

Just whenit looked as if Tourism might be recovering, and travel stating again, Thailand has to come up with new restrictions.  Does Thailand want any Tourists in 2023?

The vast majority of people are vaccinated. The few who are stopped by this won't be noticed.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Whilst i agree that people have personal responsibility, there are a number of reasons why some did not get vaccinated, some medical, some personal?

But changing the rules, giving 2 days notice,  that could potentially affect many potential tourists is dumb. The fact that the vaccination must be be taken 14 days before traveling, but have no expiry date, is also questionable, seeing as the vaccines could only last 6 months and some may have had them 2 years ago?

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-covid-vaccine-protect-you

Old article. Pre omicron and probably relates to infections.

The government did not have much time to respond to China's sudden decision to open the borders or the fact that the virus exploded in China recently. Many countries have followed suit.

Edited by ozimoron

I am going from Thailand to India for a two weeks trip.

When I will be back to Thailand, also If it is  not my intention to go again to India for a while, I will need to have an additional Covid insurance.
Unless, of course, at the check-in I do not find an intelligent person that understands that I will not come back to India, will not need a test and would not need an insurance. Mission impossible !!!!!!

Did anybody find some details about this insurance ? (Covid only ?, maximun amount...)

17 hours ago, proton said:

Nice of them to give a whole two day warning ????

The warning is not close to a full two days. Remember that people may be checking in for long journeys to Thailand over 24 hours before their arrival. Unless their airline has proactively warned their passengers in advance of the possibility of new rules, it is quite possible for some to arrive at their departure airport to be told that they cannot check in due to new rules at their destination.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

555. I have never heard some of the vaccines listed.  One starts with "Shenzen??".  Ah, so pretty much any Covid Vaccine is acceptable. Also, the Sputnick Vaccine is approved as to not upset our friend Vlad and his people.  

so are the non performing Sinovac for the same reasons, not to upset  "their brother" Xi

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

So to not discriminate against the Chinese, all foreigners must show proof to the check in staff, wherever they are coming from, that they have at least 2 vaccinations on the approved list?

This goes into affect on Jan 9th, this year?

So any foreigners, not vaccinated and have already booked a non refundable ticket to Thailand in January, are in trouble apparently?

All the other countries have decided only people coming from China need to show proof of vaccination. Now these folks will not have booked yet, as the in country ban has only been lifted very recently, so they can sort their vaccinations out first?

Looks like Thailand bowing to their masters again? They don't care about tourists only Chinese tourists? I'm shocked!

The Chinese will have started booking flights as soon as the changed Covid-19 restrictions were announced. You can be quite sure that flights into Thailand tomorrow are booked solid. Vaccine coverage among the Chinese is low. Further, a two-dose regime of one of the main Chinese vaccines administered 18 months ago is pretty worthless.

It is worth mentioning that reactions to Chinese arrivals at this time represent hysteria. Yes, there are big outbreaks in China right now, but there is a huge amount of asymptomatic Covid present globally, and the Chinese, unlike Westerners, will typically strictly comply with mask requirements.