Brick wall/hang heavy stuff?

THAIPHUKET

The trick is to make sure what's hanging is putting the hanger in shear not orying the fastener out.   It should be easy to drill in the mortar between joints then use some expandable wall fastener. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elkski said:

The trick is to make sure what's hanging is putting the hanger in shear not orying the fastener out.   It should be easy to drill in the mortar between joints then use some expandable wall fastener. 

That should do it, move the chair though

These things work in hollow bricks

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/m4-m5-m6-m8-hollow-brick-special-expansion-screw-bolt-gypsum-board-hollow-wall-aircraft-expansion-pipe-metal-hollow-gecko-i4291891114-s17054654026.html

Obviously the size must match to your bricks and whatever you want to hang.

I just used 4 of them to hang a metal cabinet and I am sure I could put 100kg on that and it would hold.

They are also available (in limited sized) in HomePro and probably also other shops.

I suggest drill a hole somewhere to get an idea how thick the bricks are and how deep the holes are.

This is an example from my internal walls to give you an idea. Obviously I don't know if you have similar bricks.

1902675927_HollowBrick.thumb.jpg.ebeb13e2b233b2b9cdb0be5e1b74d2d6.jpg

36 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Please no. If you use expanding fasteners you will crack the brick. 

You have to fit this "dry" first to get the dimension right.

Get some stud/threaded rod. Drill a hole in the brick so the stud just slips in. Having got the stud the right length, i.e. into the hole and enough for the object to be secured and the nuts to attach it. Mix up a generous amount of epoxy cement and fill the hole completely. You don't need fancy equipment for this. Then before the epoxy sets screw the studs into the holes wiping away the epoxy that oozes out. If using five minute epoxy maybe mix two or more batches one batch for each hole. Leave to set , better overnight. Then mount the object to be secured onto the studs and screw some nuts onto the studs and Bingo. 

spacer.png

Sounds interesting.

Is this then stuck forever? Or is it possible to remove the screw/bolt by screwing it out?

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds interesting.

Is this then stuck forever? Or is it possible to remove the screw/bolt by screwing it out?

It is permanent. Will be there until I die or someone grinds off the studs.

Other brick splitting solution will still leave a holes.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is an example from my internal walls

Looks a lot like concrete. Not brick.

The OP is free to use whatever suggested method he wishes.

Edited by VocalNeal

Any decent wall of that age will most likely be solid red brick covered with cement and will have no issue holding heavy load with normal plastic wall plugs using screws to fit.  You can test out by drilling a hole - should be solid if normal construction of that time.  If you need more strength  stronger metal threaded as used for large TV sets can be used - but for most things that is total overkill.

How to Install Drywall Anchors

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Looks a lot like concrete. Not brick.

The OP is free to use whatever suggested method he wishes.

I don't know if you see a different picture than I see. But the red things with the hole in the middle in my picture are bricks with holes inside.

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can test out by drilling a hole

Maybe, but maybe not. It depends a lot where you drill in those bricks. Maybe have a hole but obviously not everywhere.

The first three holes I drilled were perfect examples. With one hold I drilled and drilled and it was like a solid brick. With the second hole not far away from the first I drilled maybe half the time in a solid structure. And with the last hole it was like drilling for maybe 1cm and then just "falling" into a hole. All in the same wall not far from each other.

I suggest don't assume all is the same after you drill just one hole.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know if you see a different picture than I see. But the red things with the hole in the middle in my picture are bricks with holes inside.

I'm looking at a concrete wall with what looks like brick fillers. Maybe that is not what you see. It is not a contiguous brick wall. 

It depends on what the OP has. Not what you have. 

Chemical anchors are widely used for a reason. 

If the OP has a concrete wall with brick tile or veneer he can use expanding anchors in the concrete. But I would still not use expanding anchors in brickwork. 

Edited by VocalNeal

I don't think they are bricks.

Zoom in as far as possible and look at the bricks on the outside corners near the door and particularly just above the chair. What should be the face and side of a single brick are misaligned and appear the be cemented.

• Like 2

Yeah ^^^, I reckon the "not bricks" team are correct, 99% certain they are facing over "something else".

Chemical anchors (epoxy in the hole) work well, you do have to ensure that ALL the dust is removed from the hole (Hilti actually make a special tool for this) otherwise it will pull out.

Image 1 of 1: กระบอกเป่าลม อุปกรณ์เสริมสำหรับฉีดน้ำยาเจาะเสียบเหล็กสำหรับการทำความสะอาด

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Thia builders use a vet strong mortar. It is almost like concrete!

Sorry, no, at least not in my condominium.

When I drill a hole anywhere in above wall or a structural concrete wall there is a HUGE difference.

And I use a proper Bosch Hammer to do that. 

Mortar is soft and even normal drills with masonry bits can penetrate.   Using a soft plastic molly anchor like posted above doesn't put a huge expansion force.   It all depends on the load and wall type.   I didn't notice they were a verneer but it's obvious.  Still best to try to drill in the gaps or you will chip a fake brick.   Also how permanent do you want it.   Nice chair and table by the way.  I haven't seen many like that in Thailand. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, I reckon the "not bricks" team are correct, 99% certain they are facing over "something else".

Chemical anchors (epoxy in the hole) work well, you do have to ensure that ALL the dust is removed from the hole (Hilti actually make a special tool for this) otherwise it will pull out.

Image 1 of 1: กระบอกเป่าลม อุปกรณ์เสริมสำหรับฉีดน้ำยาเจาะเสียบเหล็กสำหรับการทำความสะอาด

Agreed. Hilti is the best choice for fixings and allied tools. They produce a 2 part epoxy formulated for this sort of work loaded into a twin tube syringe which mixes as it is forced out into the hole. Trynotodo Thaiwattsadu sell a version of it. 

Used the Hilti stuff many times when concrete was found to be too weak to support expanding bolts. The hole needs to be a bit larger than the threaded rod to allow enough epoxy to surround the thread completely. eg 6mm bolt and 7mm hole.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Last time I only did 4 holes. I used one of these. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

We use bucket loads of these as it's quick and clean. Pretty well all the kit you see on BTS stations is fixed down with them.

Hilti = Not particularly cheap of course.

image.png.a0928767ed3685a3f75998d6c35fcc51.png

Does anybody of you have a link to this or similar product online in Thailand or HomePro or any other supplier?

Or a shop anywhere in Bangkok?

Thanks

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, I looked at their website and searched for Hilti and nothing like this came up.

The next store is an hour away and I avoid going there in person if not necessary. 

I don't know if this is good enough but for the price, failure is cheap.

https://shopee.co.th/TF▶-4ml-Universal-Epoxy-Resin-AB-Glue-Strong-Adhesive-Repair-for-Glass-Ceramics-Plastic-i.105085744.2121494275?sp_atk=cecc2ca7-47bc-430e-a9d8-f1cea09c474d&xptdk=cecc2ca7-47bc-430e-a9d8-f1cea09c474d

• Thanks 1