10 Things much cheaper in Thailand than in the West !

Social Media

Just about everything is cheaper except for imported western foods that can be found in places such as Villa Market, luxury imported goods, wine and luxury vehicles. Anything locally produced and/or involving mostly labour will be cheaper due to the lower costs of employing staff. Add to this, a huge number of workers and small businesses that are outside of any taxation, keeps prices low. This all makes for a much better cost of living for foreign expats, retirees, tourists and digital nomads. Cost are likely part of the reason that most here on the forum love Thailand so much.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Spider, for the breakdown.  I'm in NYC where housing prices are somewhat higher.  Median rental is more like $5,000.  But there are rent regulated places that can be quite reasonable (half that) and comfortable.  Also Medicare covers cost of most procedures you mentioned.  That supplemented by state pension plan means I pay virtually nothing for most medical care.  Not everything:  I did get almost all my teeth replaced in Thailand for a fifth to a tenth of the cost in NY.  In general labor is 1/10 the US price in Thailand (basic massage $6/hr vs $60/hr.)  Local food maybe 1/3 (though I have on occasion paid less for mangos here in NY).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

Thanks, Spider, for the breakdown.  I'm in NYC where housing prices are somewhat higher.  Median rental is more like $5,000.  But there are rent regulated places that can be quite reasonable (half that) and comfortable.  Also Medicare covers cost of most procedures you mentioned.  That supplemented by state pension plan means I pay virtually nothing for most medical care.  Not everything:  I did get almost all my teeth replaced in Thailand for a fifth to a tenth of the cost in NY.  In general labor is 1/10 the US price in Thailand (basic massage $6/hr vs $60/hr.)  Local food maybe 1/3 (though I have on occasion paid less for mangos here in NY).

I am not in the USA my rent is about 480 AUD a fortnight, have not had an increase for about 6 years just live on my AOP since I lost a lot in LOS and my pension is about 1140 AUD a fortnight so why should I complain, I can afford 1 or 2 overseas holidays every year 

If you live a western lifestyle in Thailand, it can get very expensive. Imported cars, imported groceries, wine, beer, bread and many other things are much more expensive here than in the West. Since there are no shops like ALDI, even local groceries are often more expensive.

Sure you can find things that are cheaper here. But not everything is cheap here. The rents for small apartments with a few square meters can be expensive. Up to 1000 Euros for a 24 square meter apartment here in my condo complex in Central Pattaya. I would not consider this as cheap. Of course there are cheaper alternatives. Certainly also in the western world. But to paint a picture that everything is cheap here is completely wrong.

I see farangs here that collect bottles. Or some even eat the leftover food of others in the food courts of big shopping malls. Thailand is not for everyone. There is no social security net and no free health care. And again - not everything is cheaper here. 

• Like 1

In Thailand ,prices for basic commodities seem frozen in time.

I don't know abt Pattaya/BKk and such places but here in a sizable provincial town...

First came in '96.

Rent in a fan cooled apt ( brand new then) , 100 $

A plate of local food 80 cents or so.

Fast forward a staggering 26 yrs later..

The same apt, and similar, 100 $. ????????

The same plate of rice 40 baht...about 1.20 $ 

There's no other country where this is happening.

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

I don't know abt Pattaya/BKk and such places but here in a sizable provincial town...

First came in '96.

Of course you can live in a hut next to a rice field and eat a plate of rice every day. And if you catch ???? frogs  you also have some protein ????.  As long as you meet the visa requirements you can enjoy this luxurious life. 

Edited by Mickeymaus

2 main cheaper things for myself, and adds to my pocket money, as both are huge savings vs USA's silliness:

... lack of real Real Estate Taxes

... inexpensive (& accessible) healthcare, without the need for monthly insurance premiums.

Added bonuses of inexpensive products due to close proximity and trade agreements with China:

... inexpensive EVs along w/Gov't incentives

... inexpensive Solar System components (cheap labor installation)

Savings from USA taxes, healthcare, utilities is literally enough for a single person to live on in TH.  

I save about $600/฿20k a month, on just those 3 items, and could easily live on that amount here.

Edited by KhunLA

17 hours ago, VinnieK said:

First came in '96.

I agree that inflation in Thailand is infinitely lower than in the US and Europe, where prices are skyrocketing. I find it alot less expensive. On so many levels. 

My maintenance fee for my apartment alone in Australia is 14,000 baht per Month. In Thailand most are around 1,000 P/M. 

Of course for any farang with farang money from jobs or pensions from their home country will live far cheaper in Thailand. Now reverse that and Think about a Thai in Thailand on a Thai salary or pension and they are all struggling.

We are just fortunate to be able come to cheaper places like Thailand. I have no hesitation to buy a pad kapow moo and a beer for 100 baht in Thailand but in Australia that same meal with beer would be 450 to 600 baht and I just don't do it. It means a better life in Thailand in comparison.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:30 AM, still kicking said:

I am not in the USA my rent is about 480 AUD a fortnight, have not had an increase for about 6 years just live on my AOP since I lost a lot in LOS and my pension is about 1140 AUD a fortnight so why should I complain, I can afford 1 or 2 overseas holidays every year 

Was watching tv news in in AUS  section about Melbourne rents I thought that is not so high?

Then I realized the rents were quoted per fortnight not monthly. 

Anywhere decent in US rental costs  are completely out of control.

Edited by Captain Monday