Thailand set to start collecting 300 THB tourist fee from June

webfact

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

About 4 months ago I went to Turkey and there was no such thing at the airport.....

My bad - I haven't been there for a few years so I guess they've scrapped it. Plenty of other countries charge it though, as indicated above.

(I was going to cite Zambia as an example (my dad goes on a fishing trip on the Zambesi every year) , but I just checked and they scrapped their US$50 VOA last October)

39 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Wasn't that the Don Muang airport tax before it was added to the ticket? - I remember spending my last baht on my first visit to Thailand, unaware of it, then having to buy baht at airport rates just for that purpose.

That was the one and you weren't the first that happened to.

Edited by nglodnig

22 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

As most of the services in the airport are wage related, my take is TH will become more than twice as expensive as UK, in terms of airport usage

How does that work out when UK APD is based on class of ticket. I paid economy, those in higher class seats would pay a lot more APD. Not wage related, more on the ability to pay.

The 300 baht would be less than 1% of my fare and for those in better seat almost un-noticeable. 

But let the whinging continue.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:28 AM, nglodnig said:

There used to be an exit fee (paid in cash and you had to use a special machine) that had to be attached to EVERY boarding-pass (Thai/non-Thai) before you could leave the country. The logic (?) being tourists can afford it and Thais who fly abroad can also.

used to be?... there still is, ......its in your flight ticket costs

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

How does that work out when UK APD is based on class of ticket. I paid economy, those in higher class seats would pay a lot more APD. Not wage related, more on the ability to pay.

The 300 baht would be less than 1% of my fare and for those in better seat almost un-noticeable. /

But let the whinging continue.

While in Thailand, would you buy coffee at the price you would buy in Europe?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:08 AM, DFPhuket said:

A fee that only applies to certain groups of people (non-Thai, non work permit holders) cannot be added by the airline when the ticket is purchased.

One idea being considered is to have airlines collect the fee from all non-Thai travellers and then let the holders of a work permit apply for a refund after arrival in Thailand.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/yet-another-new-date-for-introduction-of-thai-tax-on-foreign-visitors-421593

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Obiwan said:

Time for all other countries in the world to make Thais pay the same every time they cross a border.

Careful what you wish for. How about the Thais just have a look around the world and implement other schemes already in place:

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/01/09/tourist-taxes-all-of-the-countries-you-will-have-to-pay-to-enter-in-2022

But of course it's just those nasty scamming Thais according to people on here :coffee1:

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:25 AM, RichardColeman said:

I'm all for it, if it meant free health care for ALL foreigners whilst in Thailand soil !

Don’t forget to ask for your insurance policy once you’ve handed over your 300 baht. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Salerno said:

Careful what you wish for. How about the Thais just have a look around the world and implement other schemes already in place:

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/01/09/tourist-taxes-all-of-the-countries-you-will-have-to-pay-to-enter-in-2022

But of course it's just those nasty scamming Thais according to people on here :coffee1:

Exactly, but many cannot see further than their bar stool. Tourist tax is not new and certainly not unique to Thailand.

When I went to Bali it had to paid to the hotel as you checked in, all foreign passports.

If people are whinging about 300 baht, what on earth would be said if Thailand adopted the same system at 9 Euros a night. Malaysia is a bit the same at 4 Euros a night. It is also being proposed in Scotland where it would also include self catering accommodation.

Tourist tax in Indonesia only applies in Bali. In 2019, a new law stated that foreign tourists must pay a fee starting from €9 or around Rp146,517. The income from this tax is used for programmes that help preserve the environment and Balinese culture.

https://indonesiaexpat.id/travel/25-countries-where-you-will-pay-a-tourist-tax-in-2022/#:~:text=15.-,Indonesia,the environment and Balinese culture.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:31 AM, olfu said:

...300bt?--good start. Highly advance countries like Russia charge me 200$ or about 6000bt.

Ummmm 'highly advanced countries like Russia' doubt it. Even their tanks are letting them down. They have to charge visitors to fund tank repairs I expect . Chuckle.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:28 AM, nglodnig said:

There used to be an exit fee (paid in cash and you had to use a special machine) that had to be attached to EVERY boarding-pass (Thai/non-Thai) before you could leave the country. The logic (?) being tourists can afford it and Thais who fly abroad can also.

I remember that to some degree. It was like ages ago. I think it was 500 baht. I thought that was only for non-Thais. I might be remembering that part wrong. 

On 1/12/2023 at 1:28 AM, nglodnig said:

That was an airport Tax....   initially 500 Baht for international departures and 30 Baht for domestic.

They simply add that to the ticket these days, I believe it is now 800 baht.

Realistically - Is this going to be used for Tourists who can’t pay their medical bills ???

I can just see the $$ in the eyes of those who stand an opportunity at fuelling some money their way - This is Thailand, we just know a huge amount is going to get skimmed off the top. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the issues that existed with the old 500 baht departure tax is that people would arrive at the airport for their departing flight without any Thai money.... It created a huge inconvenience. 

So... What happens on arrival when Tourist arrive without any Thai Baht ???

There is no ATM Air-side.... So what happens next ?... do they accept card payment ?

As always, Thailand introduces a plan and completely overlooks the important details which will significantly impact the ease of arriving. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 9:33 AM, NoshowJones said:

What about returning expats, some with re entry permits? They are not tourists, so will not be subject to this 300Bt fee. Aye right!

There definitely needs to be some clarification. 

At the moment its just work permit holders who won’t need to pay this. 

But there are plenty of other non-Thai’s who live here such as Non-Immigrant O holders and SE / PE (Thai Elite) visa holders etc... 

Personally... I’m in and out often so would expect to contribute about 3000 baht to this scheme which is not an issue at all - BUT... the potential ‘extra delays’ queuing to pay this charge could become extremely frustrating. 

• Thanks 1