The increasing appeal of Pratamanak.

Social Media

33 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

It's funny to me when 99% of farangs don't even try to pronounce the names correctly

Considering the number of ex pat tourists that live in Pattaya , it's incredible that many of them can't even pronounce the name of the place despite living there for years. Still manage to rhyme it with ..

' hay '.

Talk about assimilating with local culture. Is Pattaya even representative of Thailand ?

A bit like an Asian living in Southall or Leicester and claiming they are 100 percent British through and through.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I can also read Thai.  But the reason people say Pai with a 'P' is because that's the way the name was transliterated into English many years ago and that's how its spelt on all the road signs, tourist literature etc. You can't really blame non-Thai speakers. Many transliterations are a bit off....

I've seen at least 3 or 4 different spellings on road signs.

At the end of the day who cares, everyone will understand where you mean no matter how you pronounce it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Pratamnack is nice especially near the Sands there but the main problem is travel. You basically have to use a car/bike to get anywhere. I lived there for a month and it was a real PITA to get there and back.

Erm, get a bike or a car? no matter where you live i'd consider that essential.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How is it easy to get to Sukuimvit as claimed? Do we mean at 5am, because Pattaya Tai, and certainly Threppasit are usually a chore! And a few busy 7-11s do not a Las Vegas make! We got those where I live....

I have a condo in Cozy beach i use maybe once or twice a month, the long weekends, NY and Songkran are a proper ball ache at that crazy junction near the police box, total gridlock.

The rest of the time the traffic is bearable.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I like living in Pratumnak,lots to offer around, personally i go central for entertainment. Quiet where i live night time apart from occasional loud exhaust, plus bonus being on a hill is no flooding issues

You go to my condo for entertainment…

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How is it easy to get to Sukuimvit as claimed? Do we mean at 5am, because Pattaya Tai, and certainly Threppasit are usually a chore! And a few busy 7-11s do not a Las Vegas make! We got those where I live....

Getting to Sukhumvit on a motorbike is easy enough, car will be a ball ache most places in and around Pattaya

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Getting to Sukhumvit on a motorbike is easy enough, car will be a ball ache most places in and around Pattaya

Well Threppasit gained a special reputation, as did Tai, not long ago, with major road works.  I did North Rd recently and it was okay. 

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Pratamnack is nice especially near the Sands there but the main problem is travel. You basically have to use a car/bike to get anywhere. I lived there for a month and it was a real PITA to get there and back.

I've had a small house near Sands for 10yrs, and have to say I am pretty happy with the location still. had a look at few locations every now and then, always concluded nothing better for my lifestyle. Sure you need a motorbike or car to be properly mobile, however with mototaxis and bolt can survive nowadays somehow even without.

Getting to Suk is not an issue normally when I need to go as not tied to local working or holiday scedules (i.e excl sat and sun afternoons when bangkokians are heading home). The roadworks in pattaya tai thepparasit in past couple of years have been a pain yes, but even thepparasit will be over soon. Butyes, of course 5-6pm there is traffic everywhere.

Weekends and holidays pratamak road tends to be fairly bad at times due to bangkokians heading to the nice cozy beach restaurants for their selfies

Going forward my worry is also traffic, though different type: when Panora, Ramada and few other new planned condos finish along Soi 5, Chinese are back, and Indiands possibly finding their way here too, how to get out from here due to the bus traffic.

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

And good luck passing the Police checkpoint at the Pratamnack lights after 10 beers.

Have you heard of Bolt?

Do you have 10 beers every night? Not all of us feel the need for that and the sensible ones tend to have a sensible plan if they're having a scoof.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mran66 said:

few years ago they converted the traffic light intersection into a small roundabout, with the result of too many accidents as thai people cant or dont know how to behave in roundabout. After a year or two changed back to traffic lights as it has been since.

in some other country roundabout would be the ideal solution to that place, however not here without changing the population...

Yeah, roundabout with 'hill starts' from every direction, not good in Land of XXXX

37 minutes ago, mran66 said:

few years ago they converted the traffic light intersection into a small roundabout, with the result of too many accidents as thai people cant or dont know how to behave in roundabout. After a year or two changed back to traffic lights as it has been since.

in some other country roundabout would be the ideal solution to that place, however not here without changing the population...

I remember the roundabout.  I thought it worked pretty well.  You did have to sometimes wait a bit before entering the roundabout but that's also the case at the Dolphin roundabout.  I'd rather wait a bit to enter the roundabout than wait what seems like several minutes for the traffic light there now--often you're sitting there waiting at the red light and no traffic is going through on the green.  In my opinion it was a perfect place for a roundabout and should have been given more time.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:02 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I like living in Pratumnak,lots to offer around, personally i go central for entertainment. Quiet where i live night time apart from occasional loud exhaust, plus bonus being on a hill is no flooding issues

I hate the pratumnak hill area. I went in there once to view a condo for rent. I did not even bother to view the unit, just left.

all I remember is wild dogs when walking in on keastesin road, no baht bus, and a bunch of moto guys waiting right in front of the condo enterance waiting to ferry people in and out of the area.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

One of the downsides of that area is it seems to attract dodgy wide-boys like the OP.  The Norwegian property ponzi scheme in that area pumped advertising revenue into this forum for years, perhaps unsurprising so little has been reported on that.

Buyer beware.

Edited by kinyara