Internet rumpus as convenience store asks customers to add ice to their beverages

webfact

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

was just a suggestion and entirely up to them. It was to avoid waste

Waste of what? Instead of a drink that's half a cup you get a full cup and if from the machine it's cold already.  When I order a soda or drink i ask for the can, or bottle and a cup of ice....no waste there.

Stores pricing structure is developed in part on what amount of ice to drink ratio typically is. It's not a "scam" or "out and out con". I know some places in USA have drink price for with and price for without ice.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Waste of what? Instead of a drink that's half a cup you get a full cup and if from the machine it's cold already.  When I order a soda or drink i ask for the can, or bottle and a cup of ice....no waste there.

This is the idea. The machine should not provide it cold already so that you will be motivated to use the ice. I understand the shop owner somehow. He made a calculation with ice. But obviously some costumers are more clever than he thought. 

• Like 1

I once bought a hot. Coffee from 7 ,it was so hot I took a second empty cup to enable me to carry the drink to the cashier, problem !!

1 drink 1 cup only, cashier advised that the owner checks cups used everyday

Edited by norbra
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, norbra said:

I once bought a hot. Coffee from 7 ,it was so hot I took a second empty cup to enable me to carry the drink to the cashier, problem !!

1 drink 1 cup only, cashier advised that the owner checks cups used everyday

Yes. And Subway and some other food chains have the same policy. As a matter of fact if you buy a bottled or canned drink at Subway, you can not ask for a cup.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

Yes. And Subway and some other food chains have the same policy. As a matter of fact if you buy a bottled or canned drink at Subway, you can not ask for a cup.

I'm sure you can ask for a cup? You may not get one though?????

On 1/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, Emdog said:

Stores pricing structure is developed in part on what amount of ice to drink ratio typically is. It's not a "scam" or "out and out con". I know some places in USA have drink price for with and price for without ice.

:coffee1: Yawn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

You order an iced americano and it is always more expensive than a hot americano.  Everywhere in Thailand

That will be because they first make a hot americano and then add and "blitz" with ice to chill it. You are, not entirely unreasonably, paying for the extra process.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, whiteman said:

why drink this fizzy <deleted> in the first place

Why not? Tonic Water, Club Soda not bad for you if you find ones with low sodium content. Of course all junk food is potentially bad for one to drink or eat.  

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

That will be because they first make a hot americano and then add and "blitz" with ice to chill it. You are, not entirely unreasonably, paying for the extra process.

I wasn't complaining, I was just making a comment when someone else said below.  Higher price for ice.  Why not.

I know some places in USA have drink price for with and price for without ice

• Like 1