Poll: Is your net worth (by age) more than the median and average U.S. amounts?

Poll: Is your net worth (by age) more than the median and average U.S. amounts?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To answer this poll accurately you need to first calculate your net worth (basically all assets minus all liablities) and then compare to the chart in this link.

Age of head of family

Median net worth

Average net worth

Less than 35

$13,900

$76,300

35-44

$91,300

$436,200

45-54

$168,600

$833,200

55-64

$212,500

$1,175,900

65-74

$266,400

$1,217,700

75+

$254,800

$977,600

The Average Net Worth by Age: How Does Yours Compare? - NerdWallet

Note the massive difference between median and average amounts.

In case you don't understand what those terms mean:

Average Vs Median: What's The Difference? » Differencess

I think the median figure is much more relevant as outliers like Elon Musk massively distort the averages.

Note there is a net worth calculator in the link. 

Edited by Jingthing

42 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Why, it's easy enough to convert from any currency, to USD. If from Pounds to USD, multiply by 1.20. It's a good and interesting poll.

Because the average and median ranges are specific to usa in that link. Converting your worth only shows a comparison to the USA not the country you live in or Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Zillow put my house over 1,000,000 last year.   I don't check every year, why?????  Of course I don't have a mortgage.  Why would I?

The BIGGEST problems you humans have is thinking MONEY is everything and cannot even begin to compare anything else.   That is why your species will fail.    

It's never an intelligent post, only about money.   Almost never about health (unless negative), only about money.

Sad.

Spending your life obsessed with money will absolutely get you no money.  or happiness. or money and then no happiness. 

read Philosophy.    just for 1 minute!!!!!    try it.      the MIND.     It's powerful if you use it.   lol

And all of that is very easy to say if you have money, if you don't then Philosophy (as much as I love it) is going to be a long way down your list of priorities.

To put it simply.... Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Because the average and median ranges are specific to usa in that link. Converting your worth only shows a comparison to the USA not the country you live in or Thailand 

Given this is a Thai based forum, my interpretation of the poll is that it will show the relative wealth of Thailand based expats, not relative to any particular country but relative to other expats in Thailand. A US based median and average seems like reasonable enough benchmark as any to use for this purpose since it's indicative and not scientific. Of course, if a poster lives in a bed sit in Burnley and doesn't visit Thailand, their input may not be relevant.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I retired at 53 (56 now so still a few years until I get my pension) & wouldn't have even considered doing so if I didn't think I had enough disposable assets to live comfortably on... But even now I'm still not sure I have enough.

Same for me, divorced and retired to Thailand age 52.

I spent all my remaining assets getting from age 52 to pension age 64 without working.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

even if it meant testing my risk appetite threshold. Ultimately you have to think what would happen if the unthinkable  happened, which is not necessarily a great way to spend retirement!

I retired at 48 and navigate the waters as best I can - out of equities for the last 2 years... now in T-Bills mostly... and cash as interest on my accounts return... I try to act responsibly and not worry too much, but, what to do is probably an everyday thought...

Who worries more about money, people with little or people w/a lot? 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

To put it simply.... Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs 

Thai chat room………lowest.

if you are posting, you have time.   

age 20 to 50……..amass wealth.  Easy.

if you can’t, fix mental problems.   Do that first.

if you’re posting, you have decided not to make money and post instead.

up to you.

I’d never post if poor…..I’d be making money 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Thai chat room………lowest.

if you are posting, you have time.   

age 20 to 50……..amass wealth.  Easy.

if you can’t, fix mental problems.   Do that first.

if you’re posting, you have decided not to make money and post instead.

up to you.

I’d never post if poor…..I’d be making money 

But I did post (as did you) so I guess that means I'm (we're) not poor... & just because I'm posting doesn't mean I'm not making money (Passive Income).

TBH I think a lot of people focus solely on the financial side of retirement (which is obviously critical) & not what they'll do with their lives when they retire... First time I tried retirement (40), I was climbing the walls after 3 weeks so went back to work & focused on. building a life outside of work (Which for me was to travel, so I got a job in Singapore).  

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

But I did post (as did you) so I guess that means I'm (we're) not poor... & just because I'm posting doesn't mean I'm not making money (Passive Income).

TBH I think a lot of people focus solely on the financial side of retirement (which is obviously critical) & not what they'll do with their lives when they retire... First time I tried retirement (40), I was climbing the walls after 3 weeks so went back to work & focused on. building a life outside of work (Which for me was to travel, so I got a job in Singapore).  

Classic Type A personality, I sympathise.

In short, I have enough to survive until I die, last time I checked, that was in 39 years and I definitely know I won't last that long.

Does that qualify me as having a bigger one than you, they say size doesn't matter, but it does ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Classic Type A personality, I sympathise.

Too true, but I am trying to mellow with old age ???? 

I feel your pain retiring just before the Global Financial crisis (2007/2008)... 1st time I retired (40) was in 2006 & I was lucky to get back into work (IT for Global Banks) just before the banks stopped hiring, the 2nd time (48) I was lucky to get back into work before Brexit & (again) the banks stopped hiring, 3rd (& final) time December 2019 just before Covid hit... Not the best 1st year of retirement as all of my dividend income for the 1st year were cancelled or cut...

Some <deleted> just didn't want me to retire! 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Too true, but I am trying to mellow with old age ???? 

I feel your pain retiring just before the Global Financial crisis (2007/2008)... 1st time I retired (40) was in 2006 & I was lucky to get back into work (IT for Global Banks) just before the banks stopped hiring, the 2nd time (48) I was lucky to get back into work before Brexit & (again) the banks stopped hiring, 3rd (& final) time December 2019 just before Covid hit... Not the best 1st year of retirement as all of my dividend income for the 1st year were cancelled or cut...

Some <deleted> just didn't want me to retire! 

We both operated in a similar space, we must exchange notes, I'll PM later.

The problem is not that we are too poor, we are too old! Based on this table it is obvious most of us would do very well if we were a lot younger..........like less than 35 yo!

I also agree that there should be a column for the size of the dong of the head of the family - please amend, it would infuse some badly needed perspective to what is important in life!

• Haha 1