UK; Girl,7, in a critical condition after shooting outside funeral injures six people

Social Media

Drive-by shooting at Euston church ‘linked to Colombian cartel’

A Colombian cartel “delivery man” who helped to flood the UK with cocaine was related to two women whose memorial service was targeted by a gunman, according to a report.

It was suggested the gunman may have been targeting a guest in a revenge plot. Last night Scotland Yard said it did not discuss motives.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drive-by-shooting-at-euston-church-linked-to-colombian-cartel-2896qbpnj

https://archive.ph/gwdTk (no paywall)

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

Americans have a strong need to prove that carrying a gun makes them a man. It tends to make up for their insecurity.

The myth of good guys with guns imploded at Uvalde.

The UK population wanted gun control but didn't ban guns. Hence there are gun incidents still, but as other posters mentioned, it is rare. 

Thats funny guns are under strict control in UK,  it was a shotgun i heard easy to get hold of in UK. 

I doubt it was a Purdey though Purdey. 

52 minutes ago, proton said:

It's more often knifes than guns, it seems diversity is not a strength after all, certainly not in London. Guns are often more serious gang related, knifes seem to be any kid with an attitude who thinks he's been disrespected or even just looked at.

The poster said daily news items on guns.

Why not let them explain away their posting...

Edited by Bluespunk

59 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Shot guns are not easy to get hold of in the UK, nor is ammunition for shotguns easy to get hold of.

Just another example of your ignorance of what you can do in UK.

You obviously don't know about shotguns or have experienced of ownership of such.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Shot guns are not easy to get hold of in the UK, nor is ammunition for shotguns easy to get hold of.

Depends if illegally want to get hold of one versus legally owing one, which is a relatively easy process, even if you have a police record.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah a lot people don't know that including a certain person on thread that's thinks he knows everything. ????????????????

Being easy to get a legal shotgun license in the UK is relative to what you consider easy though right? Consider a few months application process time, a personal visit to your home from the police for an interview and home inspection including lockable firearms cabinet. A reason for the purchase, self defense is not applicable, proof of reason, ie sports, hunting etc. Direct contact by the police with your registered GP and full medical history, this also includes the GP having future contact with the police for any concerns such as stress etc. Full criminal convictions declaration and check, they do allow some convictions based on their assessment of your application. Of course then a professional referee willing to make a statement on your behalf. The only difference in the application for a normal firearm is having 2 referees.

Gun shops will say its easy of course but its a long drawn out process that weeds out what I would call an easy purchase.

Regardless, gun crime is very low in the UK so it must be working.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Being easy to get a legal shotgun license in the UK is relative to what you consider easy though right? Consider a few months application process time, a personal visit to your home from the police for an interview and home inspection including lockable firearms cabinet. A reason for the purchase, self defense is not applicable, proof of reason, ie sports, hunting etc. Direct contact by the police with your registered GP and full medical history, this also includes the GP having future contact with the police for any concerns such as stress etc. Full criminal convictions declaration and check, they do allow some convictions based on their assessment of your application. Of course then a professional referee willing to make a statement on your behalf. The only difference in the application for a normal firearm is having 2 referees.

Gun shops will say its easy of course but its a long drawn out process that weeds out what I would call an easy purchase.

Regardless, gun crime is very low in the UK so it must be working.

The only extra condition is the GP medical certificate thing. The rest have been in effect for many years, I owned shotguns and you could keep them unsecured in your house, until the Hungerford shootings, then cabinet storage, some counties allowed wooden ones. This was in my county, Cheshire. 

Edited by roo860

31 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The only extra condition is the GP medical certificate thing. The rest have been in effect for many years, I owned shotguns and you could keep them unsecured in your house, until the Hungerford shootings, then cabinet storage, some counties allowed wooden ones. This was in my county, Cheshire. 

Firearms laws are regularly updated:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/firearms-licensing-police-guidance#changes-in-the-law

From 1 April 2016, information sharing processes between GPs and police have been introduced to ensure that people licensed to possess firearm and shotgun certificates are medically fit. The Home Office guide on firearms licensing law contains a section on medical information, and the British Medical Association has issued guidance for GPs about firearms licencing.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/firearms-licensing-police-guidance#changes-in-the-law

The Home Office has reached an agreement with the BMA (British Medical Association) and NHS Digital on a new digital marker for medical records, which will indicate that a patient is a certificate holder. If the holder’s medical condition deteriorates in a way that makes firearms ownership dangerous, the GP will be able to take the appropriate action. 

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shotgun-certificate-and-firearms-certificate/firearms-law-an-update-136501

Shotgun certificate – how to get one and how to renew one

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shotgun-certificate-and-firearms-certificate/get-a-shotgun-certificate-32358

(this contains the points raised in my initial post)

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Firearms laws are regularly updated:

From 1 April 2016, information sharing processes between GPs and police have been introduced to ensure that people licensed to possess firearm and shotgun certificates are medically fit. The Home Office guide on firearms licensing law contains a section on medical information, and the British Medical Association has issued guidance for GPs about firearms licencing.

The Home Office has reached an agreement with the BMA (British Medical Association) and NHS Digital on a new digital marker for medical records, which will indicate that a patient is a certificate holder. If the holder’s medical condition deteriorates in a way that makes firearms ownership dangerous, the GP will be able to take the appropriate action. 

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shotgun-certificate-and-firearms-certificate/firearms-law-an-update-136501

Shotgun certificate – how to get one and how to renew one

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shotgun-certificate-and-firearms-certificate/get-a-shotgun-certificate-32358

(this contains the points raised in my initial post)

As I stated, the medical fitness thing, but you already knew what i meant.

11 minutes ago, roo860 said:

As I stated, the medical fitness thing, but you already knew what i meant.

I gave a link to that and the additional changes. Plus the visits to home, the length of time but you already know that I guess so why did you respond to my post if my initial post already had all that info in it?

Like I said, being easy is relative to what is actually required.

For instance if you live in a high crime area a locked cabinet may not be enough. The police visit may look at other measures also necessary. Its not a one fits all situation. Individual circumstances apply at the descretion of the officer.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I've been mugged twice in my life, once in Metro Manila, and once in Blackheath, south London. The main problem in London and other large cities in the UK appears to be knife crime, gun crime less so up to now.

I think the main problem is the gutting of police officer numbers and the removal of police from beat duty.

Opinions differ.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I gave a link to that and the additional changes. Plus the visits to home, the length of time but you already know that I guess so why did you respond to my post if my initial post already had all that info in it?

Like I said, being easy is relative to what is actually required.

For instance if you live in a high crime area a locked cabinet may not be enough. The police visit may look at other measures also necessary. Its not a one fits all situation. Individual circumstances apply at the descretion of the officer.

I'm still a member of a gun club (rifle, firearms) in the UK, even though I moved permanently last year, so recieve up to date info and first hand info from members, reference renewals etc. That's members in at least 4 counties, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Lancashire.

I still stand by my post, its not difficult to get a shotgun certificate.

There was still a home visit required when I had shotguns over 30yrs ago.

Edited by roo860

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

I'm still a member of a gun club (rifle, firearms) in the UK, even though I moved permanently last year, so recieve up to date info and first hand info from members, reference renewals etc. That's members in at least 4 counties, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Lancashire.

I still stand by my post, its not difficult to get a shotgun certificate.

Maybe not for you. For others it can be more difficult dependent on risk levels as judged by police. That is fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:00 PM, 2009 said:

Just curious as to the shooter is.

Are you denying that immigrants commit serious crimes in the UK?

Don't you think there should be a zero tolerance policy on that?

Don't you think they should be careful about who is allowed in?

Do you even care about Britain and the British?

well said.. Britain is becoming a war zone with so many invisible immigrants that are there the government hasn't got a clue who is  in the country perfect if you are involved in criminal activities eh just sayin..

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As a former shotgun owner, I disagree.

I'm also speaking from experience.

If you have all your ducks in a row, no pun intended, the process us fairly simple.

A bit of a wait on certain aspects but nothing difficult to achieve.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I'm also speaking from experience.

If you have all your ducks in a row, no pun intended, the process us fairly simple.

A bit of a wait on certain aspects but nothing difficult to achieve.

If you have all your ducks in a row, no pun intended, the process us fairly simple.”

Much like Mrs Beeton’s Hare Pie.

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

well said.. Britain is becoming a war zone with so many invisible immigrants that are there the government hasn't got a clue who is  in the country perfect if you are involved in criminal activities eh just sayin..

I’m in the UK right now, it’s nothing like a war zone.

As for ‘invisible immigrants’, they’re not invisible at all, I see dozens every day during my daily visits to the local hospital, nurses, doctors, care workers, house keeping, porters and let’s not forget the tea lady.

The NHS, like the UK economy, is propped up by immigrants.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m in the UK right now, it’s nothing like a war zone.

As for ‘invisible immigrants’, they’re not invisible at all, I see dozens every day during my daily visits to the local hospital, nurses, doctors, care workers, house keeping, porters and let’s not forget the tea lady.

The NHS, like the UK economy, is propped up by immigrants.

look at the government stats on how many illiegal immigrants have disappeared.. that's straight from the horse's mouth ..what you see are probably the legal ones no problem with them ..Read my post again ILLEGAl I said ..you must live in a very nice area mate if you don't see gangs on the streets lucky you

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

look at the government stats on how many illiegal immigrants have disappeared.. that's straight from the horse's mouth ..what you see are probably the legal ones no problem with them ..Read my post again ILLEGAl I said ..you must live in a very nice area mate if you don't see gangs on the streets lucky you

I suggest you take that up when the the Government, they promised to fix it and have had twelve years to make good on the promise.

I read your post you did not say ‘Illegal’ you said (and I quote for the second time): 

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

‘so many invisible immigrants ’