Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

Just now, JTXR said:

Ha ha.  Greta Thundberg "enticed" 100 experts to write...... etc. ??  She "enticed" them?

Thundberg "introducing" and "rounding off" each chapter is essentially no different from Kim Kardashian introducing and rounding off each chapter.  Very nice that 100 experts contributed to the book.  No doubt they've written much else too.  Great.  If they're experts, they're worth reading.  But if they are the experts, where are their names in the blurb?  After all, they are the ones worth reading and listening to.

This thing "created" by Greta Thundberg is just more self-promotion.  "Icon" my tush.

Really, you being a scientist should know what an essay on each subject involves..............but then you've not read the book but still making judgments. Amusing. Particularly when the University of Oxford climate division stated that "Thunberg still gets a pulpit, but the book is a curated, portable library of knowledge, full of classics."

Self promotion you say...............did you know about it? You seem to assume everything else about her.

30 minutes ago, JTXR said:

True, raising public awareness is necessary, and there are many, many people doing it better than Thundberg in ways that count.  When you actually listen to Thundberg, it's surprisingly clear she really doesn't understand much about the science behind global warming or even the actual probabilities of the consequences.  She basically only knows "the house is on fire" and adults stole her childhood. 

I understand the science, being a scientist and having read most of most IPCC reports, and yes, it would be very good indeed if emissions were reduced and global warming slowed, then reversed.  But nothing of what I know about the subject did I learn from Thundberg.  Again, I have nothing against her personally and would never want to "shut her down."  I just feel no need to pay attention to her.  More power to her for becoming famous.  God knows that's what is really important in today's celebrity worshiping culture.

But on the other hand I've got no particular respect for self-promoting creatures of the media who are famous for being famous in whatever sphere.

You're a climate scientist? Then you should be able to provide a link to something about climate change that Thunberg doesn't understand. You made the claim and the rules here compel you to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

it's off topic.

Why, because you said so?

I was only pointing out a flaw in the 'ignore' function, it was not a personal attack on you.

Be sure you don't post in any bold letters because then he will really give you a good scolding .   ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

You're a climate scientist? Then you should be able to provide a link to something about climate change that Thunberg doesn't understand. You made the claim and the rules here compel you to do so.

Read my post again.  I'm not a climate scientist and did not say I was.  My specialization is different.  But with a PhD in that specialization I know how to read scientific literature. 

That said, you understand you are asking for a link to prove a negative, right?  A link to show what Thundberg doesn't understand.  All I said, earlier, is that if you actually listen to Thundberg, behind the posturing and generalities, she doesn't say anything at all that indicates she actually understands the science.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Read my post again.  I'm not a climate scientist and did not say I was.  My specialization is different.  But with a PhD in that specialization I know how to read scientific literature. 

That said, you understand you are asking for a link to prove a negative, right?  A link to show what Thundberg doesn't understand.  All I said, earlier, is that if you actually listen to Thundberg, behind the posturing and generalities, she doesn't say anything at all that indicates she actually understands the science.

You somehow never mentioned that discipline of science that you understand. I understand scientific papers too and I don't have a science degree.

You made the claim that she doesn't understand much about the science now back it up. You do know that it's compulsory, right?

A couple of links to factual statements she made that demonstrates she doesn't understand the science will be fine.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Would Greenpeace be an acceptable source for you?

Carbon offsetting is truly a scammer’s dream scheme. 

It’s a bookkeeping trick intended to obscure climate wrecking-emissions. It’s tree planting window dressing aimed at distracting from ecosystem destruction.

https://www.greenpeace.org/international/story/50689/carbon-offsets-net-zero-greenwashing-scam/

Or this Australian professor who researched the government's offsetting schemes?

Prof Andrew Macintosh, the former head of the government’s Emissions Reduction Assurance Committee, said the growing carbon market overseen by the government and the Clean Energy Regulator was “largely a sham” as most of the carbon credits approved did not represent real or new cuts in greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/23/australias-carbon-credit-scheme-largely-a-sham-says-whistleblower-who-tried-to-rein-it-in

Interesting how you'll subscribe to what Greenpeace says when it suits your needs. The article was very short on specifics.

And not only does your second link only deal with Australia, but that program is for businesses to buy credits, not private individuals.

I prefer to go with a publication that often publishes real research and is staffed by knowledgeable people.

Are carbon offsets a scam?

"To protect your wallet, you can buy offsets that have been authenticated by third-party certification programs, such as Verified Carbon Standard, Gold Standard, and Green-e Climate Standard. Those programs help confirm that projects actually exist and that you’re not wasting your money."

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/05/are-carbon-offsets-a-scam/

You categorically asserted that these people paid into a "faux scheme". So far, you have provided no proof that the scheme, as you call it, that they paid into, is some kind of scam. If you have specific evidence, provide it. Otherwise, as the World News landing page specifies:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Really, you being a scientist should know what an essay on each subject involves..............but then you've not read the book but still making judgments.

How should I know what an essay on each subject involves if, as you say, I haven't read the book?  How would that be possible?  I've made no judgments about the book, only about folks treating Thundberg as some sort of prophetic hero.

Any spent time listening to, or reading about Thundberg on the subject of climate change -- just like any time listening to or reading about Rhianna on the subject of climate change -- is time one is not spending actually learning something useful about global warming.  ????

• Like 1

Just now, JTXR said:

How should I know what an essay on each subject involves if, as you say, I haven't read the book?  How would that be possible?  I've made no judgments about the book, only about folks treating Thundberg as some sort of prophetic hero.

Any spent time listening to, or reading about Thundberg on the subject of climate change -- just like any time listening to or reading about Rhianna on the subject of climate change -- is time one is not spending actually learning something useful about global warming.  ????

Its a science book, an essay on each subject is not the same as "essentially no different from Kim Kardashian introducing and rounding off each chapter."

Is it? You claim it to be so yet you've not read the book. How is that then?

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You somehow never mentioned that discipline of science that you understand. I understand scientific papers too and I don't have a science degree.

You made the claim that she doesn't understand much about the science now back it up. You do know that it's compulsory, right?

A couple of links to factual statements she made that demonstrates she doesn't understand the science will be fine.

She seems to struggle to answer questions here and shows a lack of knowledge on the subject , 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

She seems to struggle to answer questions here and shows a lack of knowledge on the subject , 

A video doesn't work here. You're not a scientist, you don't comprehend anything about scientific rigour.

And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting she does understand. I'm challenging your claim that she doesn't. Prove it. Otherwise it's just another worthless attack on Thunberg.

Edited by ozimoron

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I do not in fact know that it is compulsory.  I do still know, however, that asking someone to prove a negative is nonsensical.  By all means, go ahead believing Thundberg is a hero.  No one is stopping you.  Lord knows the world is full of people believing Beyonce is a hero too.  Go for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JTXR said:

What a ridiculous standard you set. Short of publishing in a scientific journal, how would she prove to you that she understands the science? In fact, how would anyone who's not a scientist measure up to your standards? Here's a few quotes from her speech to the UN

"To have a 67% chance of staying below a 1.5 degrees global temperature rise – the best odds given by the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] – the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on Jan. 1st, 2018. Today that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons."

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/23/763452863/transcript-greta-thunbergs-speech-at-the-u-n-climate-action-summit

Do climatologists have a problem with that?

Or this:

"The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

...But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice."

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/23/763452863/transcript-greta-thunbergs-speech-at-the-u-n-climate-action-summit

What is problematic about these statements? 

1 minute ago, JTXR said:

I do not in fact know that it is compulsory.  I do still know, however, that asking someone to prove a negative is nonsensical.  By all means, go ahead believing Thundberg is a hero.  No one is stopping you.  Lord knows the world is full of people believing Beyonce is a hero too.  Go for it.

Stop dodging, I'm not the one making the big claim. You are. Prove that it wasn't just an attack on Thunberg. You're a PhD and you haven't even made yourself aware of the forum rules? Laughable. You could at least self report.

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The question directed at her was not a scientific one. It tells us nothing about her understanding of the science. Absolutely nothing.

She makes no claim to be a marketing expert.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How do you feel taking a 1 minute video out of context and forgetting to admit even one of the attendee's said I don't think anyone can answer that question? How about the other questions that were not included in this out of context example?

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its a science book, an essay on each subject is not the same as "essentially no different from Kim Kardashian introducing and rounding off each chapter."

Oh sorry.  I now see you don't read very well.  I believe I said not that the essays were no different but that Thundberg's introducing and rounding off was no different.

Since every one of your posts in reply seems to involve either a misreading of what I write or a nonsensical demand, I'll just let you go on with your hero worship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

A video doesn't work here. You're not a scientist, you don't comprehend anything about scientific rigour.

And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting she does understand. I'm challenging your claim that she doesn't. Prove it. Otherwise it's just another worthless attack on Thunberg.

Tell us what qualifications of any kind your hero GT has.....?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

What about Greta , is She a scientist ?

But what she says is based on the the overwhelming scientific evidence. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

Given that what she says is based on the overwhelming scientific consensus of climatologists, she doesn't need to be one. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

She isn't my hero, stop projecting. I didn't claim that she did or did not understand. I don't care or need to show what qualifications she has. Furthermore, she doesn't need science qualifications, she only needs to believe the experts. She's a public figure, not scientist. I have read no scientific claims made by her other than repeating what experts have said. That's a lot better than some of her detractors can say.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

But what she says is based on the the overwhelming scientific evidence. 

Given that what she says is based on the overwhelming scientific consensus of climatologists, she doesn't need to be one. 

Really, so she is just a puppet.....................:clap2:

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

She isn't my hero, stop projecting. I didn't claim that she did or did not understand. I don't care or need to show what qualifications she has. Furthermore, she doesn't need science qualifications, she only needs to believe the experts. She's a public figure, not scientist. I have read no scientific claims made by her other than repeating what experts have said. That's a lot better than some of her detractors can say.

So she is a puppet then......:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Oh sorry.  I now see you don't read very well.  I believe I said not that the essays were no different but that Thundberg's introducing and rounding off was no different.

Since every one of your posts in reply seems to involve either a misreading of what I write or a nonsensical demand, I'll just let you go on with your hero worship.

Now your accusing me of not reading very well, priceless, post copied below for you..........................lol

Again how is Kim Kardashian in any way comparable to Greta and the essays she did at the end of each section? Feel free to use your scientific font of knowledge to explain the process.

image.png.3cd7e57d63c47823536e218bc6e6e07e.png

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JTXR said:

If you could show us where her views diverge from that of the overwhelming scientific consensus you'd have a better point. You may have heard of a fellow named Charles Darwin. He wasn't much of one for trying to win the public over to accepting the Theory of Evolution. That cause was taken up by a fellow named Thomas Huxley, who labored long and hard to make the general public understand the scientific basis of the Theory of Evolution. There's a place for science and a place for popularizers in the public sphere. So long as the latter don't contradict the former, I fail to see the problem.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Really, so she is just a puppet.....................:clap2:

So Thomas Huxley, the great populiser of the Theory of Evolution was also a puppet? Subscribing to the overwhelming scientific evidence makes one a puppet? Denying that overwhelming evidence means that one is free? If that's the case, then you are about as free as someone can be. I guess as a corollary to Knowledge is Power, you would have us believe that Ignorance is Freedom.