Renewing 2 licenses at the same time.

I am due to renew my 5 year Thai driving licenses again and as it has been 6 years since I last carried out this procedure and given the changes since my last renewal, I am after some feedback from someone who has carried out the renewal of both the motorcycle & car licenses at the same time.

As motorcycle & car licenses are separate (with different license numbers) and as I am renewing the 2 licenses with different license numbers, do I need 2 separate ‘original’ medical certificates, or would one original and one photocopy suffice?

Anything else that I should be aware of?

I think it was two letters of address that are required... (can’t remember for certain) and I am never sure whenever I have renewed.

I recall I taking a good colour photo-copy of both (Letter of Address and Medical Cert) and there was no issue.

Thus, My recommendation is to take a good colour photo-copy of Both the Medical Cert and the Certificate of Address and you ‘should’ be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it was two letters of address that are required... (can’t remember for certain) and I am never sure whenever I have renewed.

I recall I taking a good colour photo-copy of both (Letter of Address and Medical Cert) and there was no issue.

Thus, My recommendation is to take a good colour photo-copy of Both the Medical Cert and the Certificate of Address and you ‘should’ be fine.

Thanks Richard.

Would I be correct in presuming that the yellow book can be used instead of the Certificate of Address?

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

As motorcycle & car licenses are separate (with different license numbers) and as I am renewing the 2 licenses with different license numbers, do I need 2 separate ‘original’ medical certificates, or would one original and one photocopy suffice?

When I went from 2 year to 5 year drivers and riders licenses with different numbers it was original and photocopy of the Dr's letter. I didn't even see the Dr, thanks to the wife, cost 60 baht.

Could vary depending on the motor registry, just remember where you are as nothing seems to be in sync. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thumbs Up 2

At Chon Buri, Pattaya, it was a few years back I did both as you noted, someone said I needed two residential certificates. I think it must have a photo like Passport someone here told to just make a photo copy I took a step better and paid the 30-40 baht for a color xerox surprising it was better than the original. I submitted it had no problem.

I don't remember the list included a physical?

• Thumbs Up 1

In Pakchong last year they would not accept the yellow book.  I needed to take the yellow book to the amphur and get a residence certificate - painless, 5 minute job.  They also didn't care that I had a pink ID.  My licenses have always been linked to my passport, and I was told that if I wanted them linked to the pink ID card then I would need to start again from scratch.  Maybe just here.

DLT Banglamung 12/22: passport with 2 copies of front pages and visa page, medical certificate + 1 copy, 2 copies of residence certificate, one copy each of front and back of existing driving licenses.

I made my copies with a color laser mfp and they were happy with the copies of my residence certificate from my embassy, so I could keep the original for obtaining the international driving permit.

36 minutes ago, Gashead said:

n Pakchong last year they would not accept the yellow book.  I needed to take the yellow book to the amphur and get a residence certificate

Thats good info - I didn’t know you could get a Certificate of Residence from our local Amphur office.

(Thats handy for those who have found that the Yellow house book is not accepted by their local DLT office).

2 hours ago, Gashead said:

In Pakchong last year they would not accept the yellow book.  I needed to take the yellow book to the amphur and get a residence certificate - painless, 5 minute job.  They also didn't care that I had a pink ID.  My licenses have always been linked to my passport, and I was told that if I wanted them linked to the pink ID card then I would need to start again from scratch.  Maybe just here.

Sounds like a yellow book is little use where you live, i can do the same with a blue book

Here in Pakchong the yellow book is somewhat useful.  People without one need to go to immigration or their embassy to get a residency certificate.  Sounds like there are many different interpretations of the requirements depending on where you live.  

Edited by Gashead

6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Thanks Richard.

Would I be correct in presuming that the yellow book can be used instead of the Certificate of Address?

At our office (Khon Kaen province) always yes.

I have book and pink card. Both with me and copies.

From another post today: two original medical cert. needed. No copy :biggrin:

(I had done only motorcycle license today)

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Last time i renewed both in Chiang Mai, no medical certificate required. 2 certificate of residency but if using on same day for same thing (licenses) one can be a copy of original.

Last time must be a while ago. Rule has changed. Medical cert. for every new/renewal since maybe 3(?) years (could look it up).

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

When I renewed mine I needed two of everything, no copies. Immigration, two letters, medical, two letters. I also copied everything in duplicate in case it was asked for, passport, uk licence, shoe size, inside leg measurement...

AND WHAT about hat size????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Last time must be a while ago. Rule has changed. Medical cert. for every new/renewal since maybe 3(?) years (could look it up).

Just checked my license and it expires November 2024 so last renewal was 2019. Time flys so fast when you are having fun.

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From another post today: two original medical cert. needed. No copy :biggrin:

(I had done only motorcycle license today)

If thats the case on next renewal I will let bike license lapse. 10 years here and never driven a bike but kept license just in case. Hope to be outta here before next renewal due.

People say one original residency letter and one medical with a second set of copies should be fine.  I always go with two sets of originals as renewal or obtaining licenses tends to take most of the day and I don't want to do it twice.  Worth it to me to just have the two sets of originals.  

Sod it, I will just get an extra original med cert, it's not worth the hassle to under estimate the amount of paperwork that my local Dave Lee Travis requires.

I get the feeling that the discrepancies will not be just between different DLT offices but also between each member of staff.

13 hours ago, Gashead said:

Here in Pakchong the yellow book is somewhat useful.  People without one need to go to immigration or their embassy to get a residency certificate.  Sounds like there are many different interpretations of the requirements depending on where you live.  

Gashead, I live in Pakchong too and need to renew both licenses soon.

I don't have a yellow book or pink id but I planned to get them, in order to avoid going to immigration to get the Certificate of Residence.

Then, about a week ago, I read on this forum that the DLT offices don't accept yellow books anymore.

So I am now surprised and interested to read your post that if I have a yellow book in Pakchong I can get a CoR from the amphur office, without needing to drive all the way to Korat Imm.O. to get a CoR. Is that right? (Just wannna double-check with you ????)

And if so, is it easy enough to get a yellow book in Pakchong?

Would appreciate any tips. ????