Food waste in Thailand

rickudon

Thai people order lots of food but yes don't eat it all for one reason or another because it makes the Thai person selling you the food think they have not given you enough.

Happy ugly dogs in Thailand are being fed so no worries. ????????????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

My wife orders lots of food whenever we go out.  The food goes home and is eaten over the next day or two.  

I give mine the money I was prepare to pay, and tell her to keep the change (or pay the excess herself). Never any over-ordering, unlimited 'open wallet' is a bad idea..

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1

Yes - there do seem to be certain elements who like to order or cook large quantities of food - which of course they then cannot eat.  I believe this is usually done to show off how much money they have.  I have seen it at Thai restaurants as well as the likes of KFC and Pizza Co.  I have also seen same at Thai houses where there is a spread fit for a king.

It annoys me immensely when there are others in Thailand who can barely afford enough rice or noodles to feed the family. 

I am fortunate that I have a ''no waste'' policy.  If you order it - you eat it (or it goes home in a bag or box for tomorrow).  If it is home cooked food it goes in the fridge for later or tomorrow.  My lady eats the prawn heads, fish bones, meat cartilage, etc. so not much gets wasted.  (and it is certainly not because I am stingy - she prefers pork and chicken with bones which actually costs more than the fillets that I have !).

It seems the OP may be in the minority.

But it is very difficult to change these habits - more especially if it results in folks losing face.

Have you actually sat down with those responsible and explained face-to-face that it is no longer acceptable ?  You need to highlight the waste, the effect on the environment (not that that counts for much) - but perhaps your clincher could be that have heard that other people in the village have commented about good food being wasted when they are going hungry.  You may need to put your foot down and perhaps be less generous with the housekeeping money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Almost no food waste in our household.

It all gets eaten no matter how long it was sitting in the sun.

No waste here.  The very little that isn't eaten, to the compost pile, along with all scraps.

Just raised not to waste food ... ever.  In parents house, up bringing, if you didn't finish what's on your plate, you knew what your next meal's appetizer was going to be ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

@rickudon You farm fish. I read that small scale Thai fish farmers will hang chickens above the pond in baskets so the fish eat what they sh!t.

No that is not correct. Tilapia, the most commonly farmed fish here are plant grazers. If bird droppings, including chicken droppings enter the pond it will sink down and fertilize the bottom. So yes, the fish will benefit, but not by eating it directly. I eat a lot of tilapia and have no qualms about doing so. I love it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Max Brok said:

Cooked food is not healthy for a compost heap as far as I know.

We rarely have any cooked leftovers that aren't eaten, by us or the dog.   Most things making it to the compost are old fruits & veggies, along with coffee grounds and paper.   

Anything else gets burned, or sold/recycled, which really isn't much for us.

I compost, but though it turns out good, when you use it on the soil it disappears quickly. When i have enough, i dig in a 2-3 inch layer at the start of the cold season, but gone completely by the wet season. Rots away or termites eat it. I just cannot make enough especially as my M-in-L destroys all grass and weeds in the garden, and bins it along with all the leaves unless i get there first. Training her is working, but it has taken 10 years!

• 4 weeks later...

Thailand is a big breadbasket and has an agricultural surplus. In both rural and urban areas, people usually have food that they don't finish and throw it to the dogs. Food is cheap even by their standards.

In fact, Thais are often surprised when I tell them about what food insecurity can be like in Western countries.

When eating with a group of Thais, I'm always the only person who finishes every single little morsel and cleans out every grain of rice. Typically no one notices or cares, but occasionally they might ask if I would like some more food when they seen an empty plate.

But the Burmese don't throw away food as often.

In Thailand, with most on lower incomes, you would expect that Thai families would also be careful about waste....... NO!

That's the norm all over Thailand. Give them a small plate of food, and you'll see almost always see some bits left over. They might not eat some of the veggies, or decide that they don't want to eat all the rice. Every time you walk into a restaurant, you'll see plates with food left in them after the customers leave.

It's unusual to see plates completely cleaned out with not a single grain of rice or bit of veggie remaining. That's how I clean out my plate: not a single scrap or morsel at all. In Thailand, if you see a plate as empty as that, you can tell that they're either foreigners or are Thais with different upbringings, perhaps raised abroad or in ethnic Chinese families.

That's why I'm careful with my plates of food when I'm at restaurants. "No, I'm not finished yet!" If you go off to take a short bathroom break and the plate is 1/3 full, the restaurant might assume that you're already finished with your food. I always have to tell them - not finished yet, I'll be back shortly!