Awesome Pizza on Soi 11 Bangkok !

Social Media

13 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

I'm an America.  I'm guessing by your accent, you might not be.

That is NOT a typical American pizza.   

Not even close.   

I've probably eaten pizza from about 30 different states in America.................and I've never seen an American pizza look like that.

I do consider myself an expert.

<conversation closed>                            haha

I'm a Yank also, but yea, they do serve that krap now in the USA, and depending on the vendor, it can be quite tasty, or sadly, look like the one in the OP, and simply be pep & cheese on a lot of bread.  

Thank Wolfgang Puck for introducing that style of pizza.

Best pizza for us, is a good NY Style pizza, again, different vendors, different results.   SoHo did a nice one on Soi 11, though daughter said disappointing on last few purchase.

Strangely, Pizza Co did an excellent one, and 18" @ 399 baht, but discontinued offering, sadly.  Was a twice monthly visit for us, so now back to making at home again.  Not the best results, as hard to duplicate with overnight proofing, which I don't have the patience or planning skill to do.

Edited by KhunLA

13 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

I'm an America.  I'm guessing by your accent, you might not be.

That is NOT a typical American pizza.   

Not even close.   

I've probably eaten pizza from about 30 different states in America.................and I've never seen an American pizza look like that.

I do consider myself an expert.

<conversation closed>                            haha

I'm glad you said that, I was going to make the comment that it looks nothing like an American pizza.   In fact, it looks like one of those frozen self-rising things.    Maybe the Soho in the restaurant name references the area in London not Soho.

9 minutes ago, tjintx said:

I'm glad you said that, I was going to make the comment that it looks nothing like an American pizza.   In fact, it looks like one of those frozen self-rising things.    Maybe the Soho in the restaurant name references the area in London not Soho.

Actually it's SoHo Cantina ... neither of your suggestions.

image.png.4d13a769a7f9a72324b12236e26304ed.png

A lot of YouTubers  review restaurants and food.  Doesn’t mean it’s  staged.  
The pizza is Neapolitan style.  At least the crust is anyway.  It seems most pizza in Bangkok is this style.  I personally don’t care for it.  Mainly because of the crust. But I really don’t care for most of the pizza here anyway.  The type of pepperoni on it is called “pepperoni cups”

SOHO is real NY pizza.  The owner hired a well known pizza guru from NY to train the kitchen staff before he opened the place.  They had a few blips recently but are back on the beam again.  Had a slice last night and it rocked.  Order one of their 18" pizzas for a real NY experience.  You can have your Neapolitan huge crust pizza.  I'll take Soho anyday.  Pizza Company is garbage.  Cheap ingredients with minimal cheese-if it is cheese.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:53 PM, Damrongsak said:

I did find some Cheerios breakfast cereal (oat based) at Big C, so that and a banana was my farang breakfast.

Great info......I'm bringing 8 big boxes of Cheerios for my upcoming 12 week stay.   Big C is my backup.  

Sold the home in Illinois and bought one in Florida.   I lived in a mafioso town outside of Chicago.....loaded with Italians and incredible Italian restaurants.   In FL, there are so many New Yorkers it's mostly New York pizza with the bendy chewy crust.   I like a crispier crust like a cracker.....here's a pic from our local place....I think those square cuts with the cracker crust are known as St Louis style pizza.   Best ever.   Anyone know a place in Bkk that has something similiar?

image.png.75e1d412c69278ec192616bb9dfbd6c1.png

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:27 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why would anybody eat an American Pizza on Soi 11 when an excellent Italian Pizza is available in the same Soi just across the road? 

pizzeria-limoncello.jpg

In my opinion and many others I know (mostly Americans) I would take American style pizza anytime over Italian. 
The Italian places near me out so little toppings on the pizza (extra salame gets you 1 1/2 pieces of salami on each piece instead of 1). 
at least Americans load the toppings on the pizza. And oh ya serve it with some ranch. Can’t beat that!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dkg224 said:

In my opinion and many others I know (mostly Americans) I would take American style pizza anytime over Italian. 
The Italian places near me out so little toppings on the pizza (extra salame gets you 1 1/2 pieces of salami on each piece instead of 1). 
at least Americans load the toppings on the pizza. And oh ya serve it with some ranch. Can’t beat that!

Agree 100%

Yet to have any pizza made by an Italian, that came even close to a good NY Style pizza.  Even the discontinued NY Style from Pizza Co beat every other pizza I've had, except SoHo's NY Style Pizza, and both on par with each other.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:10 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Dude, you can put anything you want on a pizza, there's no law against it. And does anyone really care what they do in Italy anymore? They seem to be stuck in the past so just let 'em get on with their silly traditions and live your own life. 

For example, if I want a cappuccino with chocolate on top at 6PM, ain't nobody's bidness but my own.

I second this.   Never understood the snobbery about pineapple on pizza.  If customers want it, why not?  Ignoring demand is not good business.  Personally I like pineapple, together with lots and lots of chillies on Hawaiian... Tastes great.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:58 AM, Walker88 said:

Though I'm from the US, I prefer Napoli-style pizza, not NY and definitely not Chicago. I tried just about everywhere in Bangkok, and I think there are two places I can say are tops: Pizza Massillia and Vesuvio. I think both make a single grudging concession to local taste (Thai women almost exclusively choose "Hawaiian' that has pineapple), but everything else comes from Italy. Vesuvio has a cold case in front of the kitchen that shows many of the meats and cheeses they use, and all are Italian imports. They also have a really great wine list, better than many hi-so restaurants. Massillia's menu is larger than Vesuvio if some of one's companions don't want just pizza.

Love Vesuvio for all the reasons you mention, and their Neapolitan pizza. It was started by Italians and I was told it's now owned and run by Thais.  The Thais learned the Italian ways well, well executed.  The Vesuvio I know and go to is tucked into a sub-soi on soi 8.                                                 Surprised that no one has mentioned Peppina here.  They received an Italian agency endorsement for making Neapolitan style pizza.  Quite good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

Love Vesuvio for all the reasons you mention, and their Neapolitan pizza. It was started by Italians and I was told it's now owned and run by Thais.  The Thais learned the Italian ways well, well executed.  The Vesuvio I know and go to is tucked into a sub-soi on soi 8.                                                 Surprised that no one has mentioned Peppina here.  They received an Italian agency endorsement for making Neapolitan style pizza.  Quite good.

Another vote for Peppina - it's very good.

The best I've had though is Pizza Massilia. Amazing pizzas. The Pattanakan outlet used to be from a truck with a wood fired oven in it parked outside the Londoner which served incredible pizzas. However when they made a permanent base there they went with an electric pizza oven, sorry it's just not the same. Still very good but you lose 15% of goodness from it not being wood fired. So my advice is try the Suk 49 or Ruam Rudee branches, you won't regret it. They use the absolute top Italian ingredients.

https://www.pizzamassilia.com/

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thanks 1