White Bread. Unhealthy To Eat?

NoshowJones

32 minutes ago, pomchop said:

along the same line why is it that Thais all seem to eat white rice but little if any brown rice?  it seems that brown rice would be cheaper as not as much milling required...plus it is said to be healthier and to me it sure tastes better....so why so much white in Thailand?  Never understood that.

White rice is cheaper that's the reason, i asked a restaurant why they only serve white, never brown or other varieties, simply they need to sell the cheapest hence why brown jasmine etc is impossible to find unless you buy in a shop or market

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's too much focus on the wrong subject like white vs wholemeal and BTW probably there's more links to science and youtube videos than ever before but the world has never been fatter and unhealthier

Has McDonalds started using wholemeal buns?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

My sister in law is a diabetic- she eats a slice or two a day as far as I can recall.

Yeah, I knew a couple of diabetics who'd inject themselves with more insulin so they could continue eating ice cream and high carb foods. That's how stupid they were. Not surprisingly, both died early. Not during a bonk, however. Not in shape for that.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

How tiresome, again, the troll card thing............Please give it a rest...:cowboy:

Strange, my family were all brought up on white bread for generations, with the occasional Hovis brown. And even more strange for some here, they lived till their late 80's and even 90's.....

Think you should chill out, perhaps crack open a box of Meusli.....:cowboy:

That's more to do with their diet of unprocessed food than white bread alone. My mother is 94 and drinks a bottle of wine a day. She makes her own bread and eats no processed food at all.

Edited by ozimoron

Just now, ozimoron said:

That's more to do with their diet of unprocessed food than white bread alone. My mother is 94 and drinks a bottle of wine a day. She makes her own bread and eats not processed food at all.

I was fed white bread with sugar on, it was yummy....

I was fed white bread with beef dripping fat on, it was yummy.....

I was fed white bread with salad cream on, it was yummy...

You must have missed out on a lot of yummy stuff......:cowboy:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll give you some science, my parents are 87 and both been eating white bread forever, not fat, not obese, been healthy, more bad news for the carb phobics.

Laughable what our ace Nutritionists consider science here. Blind leading the blind.

The Relative actually #3 in our mighty ANF Principles of Longevity Science designed to ensure a short but happy life with medications to alleviate the symptoms of various preventable illnesses.

3.   The Relative

A relative of mine did nothing special and lived to 95. Oh, I will too.

And is peripherally related to #4, The Guys.

4.  The Guys

I know some guys who seemed healthy but have already died.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's too much focus on the wrong subject like white vs wholemeal

The topic IS white and therefore the appropiate focus. The suggestion to substitute wholemeal is typical and expected. Indeed, our ace Nutritionists always recommend "whole foods," unable to grasp the concept and advantages of just cutting out sugars and starches in general. Nobody is listening to anyone here anyway, so I wouldn't get my knickers into such a twist.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The topic IS white and therefore the appropiate focus. The suggestion to substitute wholemeal is typical and expected. Indeed, our ace Nutritionists always recommend "whole foods," unable to grasp the concept and advantages of just cutting out sugars and starches in general. Nobody is listening to anyone here anyway, so I wouldn't get my knickers into such a twist.

As expected trying to get the subject onto low carbs that 99% aren't interested in

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

As expected trying to get the subject onto low carbs that 99% aren't interested in

We aren't confined here on the forum only to posting what any particular percentage is interested in, duh. Besides, I have indeed promoted our favored goal and given three of our canonical Scientific Principles.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yeah, I knew a couple of diabetics who'd inject themselves with more insulin so they could continue eating ice cream and high carb foods. That's how stupid they were. Not surprisingly, both died early. Not during a bonk, however. Not in shape for that.

My sister in law is a nurse. She follows a diabetic's diet. At first I was surprised she ate bread, spuds, etc. She explained to me that it's more about controlling the amount that's on the plate.  In all honesty, I don't think any reputable health body recommends doing without carbs.

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yikes, where's the carbs?

What an unbalanced meal!

Is that a big slab of charcoaled red meat I see there?

And he want us to worry about white bread.  Now he's taking a pop at spuds too.!????

no don't provoke him you'll get loads of links fired back at you + the monologue 

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yikes, where's the carbs?

Yikes, dunno what carbs are.???? Embarrassing in an ace Nutritionist, 'cept we're all proud of our own cluelessness here. Veggies (also veggies under the steak), fruit (tomato), sauce, and red wine all have carbs.

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

In all honesty, I don't think any reputable health body recommends doing without carbs.

Yikes, dunno what a low carb diet is, either. Typical clueless attack. My own health's great, BTW, and I need no meds. I've posted all my numbers recently.

Ignorance is a self-generating state of mind; one of its characteristics is that it doesn't recognize itself as ignorance.

— Jane Smiley

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:14 PM, ozimoron said:

White bread spikes blood sugar levels. You should only eat whole grain bread or bread labelled 100% wholemeal which most wholemeal bread is not.

Agree. 

But....and I am no expert...., after my own health experiences and doing way too much research about this (I need to get out more!), even bread labelled 100% wholemeal is not 'wholemeal' at all. 

What I understand IS more likely truly 'wholemeal' or 'wholegrain' is the heavy, dense, darkish german type bread. 

(Unfortunately, I can't find it sold locally in my area.) 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BigStar said:

3.   The Relative

A relative of mine did nothing special and lived to 95. Oh, I will too.

My relatives nearly all died in their early 60s.

I've already outlived almost everyone I knew at age 66.

Surprised myself, was expecting to be dead by now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

The human body can be an incredibly resilient thing. White bread in general is very poor quality food. It has little to no nutritional value, or fiber. And it has very little taste, compared to whole rye or other delicious whole grain breads. 

I guess the question is, do you suffer from the health deficiencies normally associated with processed flour? Constipation. High blood sugar. Hypertension. Heart disease. Fatty liver issues. Any of those? If not, keep doing what you are doing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never thought I'd see 68, and a few more years, and my brother & myself, with be the oldest ever in our family tree.  Coming from Philly, PA, USA, we ate / eat a lot of bread; sandwiches & pizza.   I still do, especially in hot weather.  

Healthier, homemade, but still enjoy, and a large part of my total food intake.  Acts as a conveyance for just about anything at times, or simply by itself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I guess the question is, do you suffer from the health deficiencies normally associated with processed flour? Constipation. High blood sugar. Hypertension. Heart disease. Fatty liver issues. Any of those? If not, keep doing what you are doing. 

If not, try to postpone the onset of any such conditions as long as possible. By the time they show up, you've got a big problem. So you may need to adjust what you are doing rather than just blithely cruise along as they all did, thinking they had nothing to worry about.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What foods in excess don't contribute to the above ?

Again, emphasis on 'excess' or moderation, and what gets put on, in or wrapped with that bread product.

Rye and or whole wheat breads, have very little of both in them.  Still made with a majority of regular bread flour.   Just a tad healthier, depending on how much you eat.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

'was expecting to be dead by now.'

Don't worry- there's still time???? It's going to happen

Curious again, so taking my numbers from previous post, and nutrition info for what someone considers 1 serving of bread flour (137gr), which I now realize is huge vs 'my' serving of homemade, shown.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1284393-white-bread-unhealthy-to-eat/page/2/#comment-17861895 

To get to the 137gr as a serving size, minus the 41% water in my recipe, I need to eat 233gr of bread.  So what does 233gr of 'farmhouse' bread look like.  Don't even think I eat that much bread in 1 day, let alone 1 serving.  Also wheat bread, so may even be heavier than white.   Just consider a large loaf of farmhouse bread is 500gr, I think.  So someone's idea of 1 serving size is shy of a half a loaf ????

image.png.682bc55d3552a88013605794305995fe.png

image.png.7caa0d7c3a3317e338940495491ab694.png

image.png.c7d80a962ec5e66dd195119104a9fc28.png

Never let the facts get in the way of a good spin .... comes to mind.

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

no don't provoke him you'll get loads of links fired back at you + the monologue 

Easily devastated with a powerful anecdote. We don' need none o' thet ol' book larnin' here. Stupid docs 'n' scientists. Oh--gotta be sure to check me HbA1c.

Ata-Boy Magnet Mad Magazine Alfred E. Neuman What Me Worry | Happy Clam  Gifts

Edited by BigStar