Pricing error at Tops

Hdjejjxk

Sticker price was 256 baht for 2 cans of baby formula. It went through the till at 1900 for 2 cans. They'd made an error typing the stickers.

My question, in thailand is the store obliged to honour the advertised price?

They dragged the poor lady out who had made the mistake and i got the impression she was the one that was going to have to pay for it, so i don't intend to go back and persist, but would like to know just out of interest.

• Haha 1

It sounds to me like the wrong product was just placed above the price sticker. A genuine human error. Did you read the actual sticker? They normally have the information English and Thai as to the product it relates to.

I doubt that in shops such as Tops the regular staff who stack the shelves can set the prices as everything is scanned and computerized.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

No, you can return the product and get your money back, happens to us a fair bit at Big C, we check the price, they charge us more, we take it back after check out, although last time, there was a special on chocolate, down from 98 baht to 59 baht,

Cheaper to buy chocolate from Lazada, huge choice.

English Cadbury's from Food Variety 150bht/200gm (bars)

Indonesian Cadbury's from other sellers 200bht/400gm (jars)

Raw chocolate (Fart Nibble) 85bht/150gm

Bens 80% Cacao 120bht/200gm

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hdjejjxk said:

Correct sticker for product. Wrong price.

Does anybody know the actual  legal answer, rather than anecdotes.

There is a court which handle only things like this.

And if you can speak Thai, you will not need a lawyer 

But for a case like yours, a few hundred baht, i would swallow my pride and let that as a lesson 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hdjejjxk said:

Sticker price was 256 baht for 2 cans of baby formula. It went through the till at 1900 for 2 cans. They'd made an error typing the stickers.

Was this the first time that you'd bought that product or did you really expect it to be discounted 86% from the real price? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure if its the same in Thailand but in the UK the price does not have to be honoured!  When something is for sale in a shop with a price label its classed as an "invitation to treat", you make the "offer" at the till, and then its "accepted" or not in this case!  You need both "offer" and "acceptance".

PS A lot of shop offers will honour the incorrect pricing but legally they don't have to (Hence why there is always some confusion with this).

• Like 2

Not in Tops, but another supermarket (Big-C).
Today, I was shopping in Big-C and I noticed a stack of rotating mops which were priced down by 50% and the new price was clearly advertised: 799 baht.
I decided to take 1 box with me.
But at the cassier, the charged me 999 baht for the box.
I went to the desk if front of the cassier and made a complaint.
The lady went to look at the stack and she came back with the excuse that it was a WRONG PRICING and the cassier can only charge what the Barcode shows.
I told the lady that I was not happy with her story and I wanted a refund.
The lady called the manager at the phone and after a short discussion I was refunded the difference.
If you can open your mouth, you don't need to accept faulty prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:50 PM, Hdjejjxk said:

Correct sticker for product. Wrong price.

Does anybody know the actual  legal answer, rather than anecdotes.

I called them out at Big C a couple of times for prices on the shelf not matching register prices... it was never a big amount and they corrected it willingly but the time wasted... ugh. 

On 1/25/2023 at 4:49 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Does anybody know the actual  legal answer"

Yes. 

They are not obligated to charge the customer the incorrect lower price.  

Indeed, and it's the same in the UK, though many believe otherwise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, malt25 said:

There is NO consumer protection in LOS as is the case in most western countries. Like so many other issues here, you don't have to like it, you just have to accept it. Move on.

There actually is a consumer protection law in Thailand... "Consumer Protection Act, B.E. 2522"... but it requires someone to go against all that is sacred in LOS and actually complain when it is violated... thus there might as well not be a law at all.

When Tops was new in the Pattaya Central Mall and I was overcharged I got the product for free. This happened several times at that time. Unfortunately after that at least in my case never again.

This is for sure not the law. Normally you have the right to get the advertised price. And usually the will refund you the difference. If not - I guess it might be a lot of trouble to sue them. Better give it back and ask for a full refund. .