Millions forced to skip meals as UK cost of living crisis deepens

Scott

2 hours ago, Saanim said:

Kudos for your cooking economic skill. How often do you feed your people like this? Don't they deserve a bit better? Or don't you deserve more income for your effort working in (and for) the superpower country that is among the top GDP? 

My people?

• Love It 1

Just now, Saanim said:

Your people? Sorry, I did not get who was that, a wife and 2 kids?

Oh. You mean my family.

My family and I eat a healthy, balanced diet. The example I gave was just one evening meal. The following evening we had Thai food, cooked by my wife.

Tonight we have mince. Not sure whether to go cottage pie and veg, about £5 or ragu snd tagliatelle, about £4.50.

Sunday will be a roast, probably pork. About £6 and the left over pork used for either a pork salad or a Chinese sweet and sour, both about £4.

Breakfast and lunch is generally a self serve as all of us are capable of preparing what we like to eat.

With a bit of planning and effort, good and healthy food can be had alot cheaper than the rubbish take aways or ready meals people go for.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Oh. You mean my family.

My family and I eat a healthy, balanced diet. The example I gave was just one evening meal. The following evening we had Thai food, cooked by my wife.

Tonight we have mince. Not sure whether to go cottage pie and veg, about £5 or ragu snd tagliatelle, about £4.50.

Sunday will be a roast, probably pork. About £6 and the left over pork used for either a pork salad or a Chinese sweet and sour, both about £4.

Breakfast and lunch is generally a self serve as all of us are capable of preparing what we like to eat.

With a bit of planning and effort, good and healthy food can be had alot cheaper than the rubbish take aways or ready meals people go for.

Yes, that's good that you and your wife know how to go along with the high living cost.  Not everybody can do that.  Wondering whether the people responsible for the state of the economy will care to buy something for just £4.  

• Like 1

Just now, Saanim said:

Yes, that's good that you and your wife know how to go along with the high living cost.  Not everybody can do that.  Wondering whether the people responsible for the state of the economy will care to buy something for just £4.  

It's not difficult. It simple cooking. Recipes, directions and videos all over the internet.

I didn't but something for £4. I created something. 

Not sure what you mean by the last comment. The economy issues are down to many factors involving many people. I'm sure most of them enjoy good home cooking.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Oh. You mean my family.

I’m in the UK, cooking three meals a day for myself and those I’m caring for.

I do all the shopping and I only buy basic ingredients, No pre-cooked or prepared foods.

The prices you quote are significantly different from my experience of the prices of preparing meals.

I’ll let others draw their own conclusions.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m in the UK, cooking three meals a day for myself and those I’m caring for.

I do all the shopping and I only buy basic ingredients, No pre-cooked or prepared foods.

The prices you quote are significantly different from my experience of the prices of preparing meals.

I’ll let others draw their own conclusions.

Why not help others draw conclusions and post your prices?

That would be most helpful. 

You don't say if your prices are higher or lower than mine.

If higher, I could most likely help you to eat well and spend less.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My prices would be just like your prices.

Unsubstantiated claims.

Which is precisely why unsubstantiated claims have no meaning when we have real data from Government agencies and reputable charities with decades of experience working with poverty reporting almost 10,000,000 people in the UK are not able to afford regular meals.

These people haven’t suddenly become profligate, they’ve been driven into poverty by the economic mess the UK has become after almost 13 years of gross mismanagement by this failing Government.

That is the funniest, let's get myself out of this mess, post you've ever posted. Well done.

• Thanks 2

On 1/25/2023 at 10:44 PM, puchooay said:

I paid £2 for 800g of chicken. About 80 baht. How much is it currently in Thailand?

While grocery shopping today I saw a special on chicken leg quarters, 10lb bag (4.5 kilos) for $5 (165 baht). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m going shopping as soon as I’ve had my breakfast, I’ll buy two lots of food.

That for my own needs and the needs of those I’m caring for, and extra which I’ll drop off at the food bank on the way home.

I don’t have time to volunteer at the food bank this trip, but I am making weekly donations to help out others less fortunate than myself.

I’m not of the opinion posting fanciful low prices for meals on forums helps anyone..

Roll you leaves up lad, spread some of that wealth of yours.

I'm not a lad and I'm not wealthy. You also have no idea what I do for charity. Therefore, your condesending remarks are water off a ducks back.

However, to suggest my prices are "fanciful" (suggesting I am lying) are underhand and un warranted.

I asked you to show details of how my prices might differ from your and you declined. Nuff said.

Anyway, here are some more "fanciable" suggestions:

https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle/food-and-drink/asda-launches-just-essentials-meal-plan-feed-family-4-week-under-ps20-3991284

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/mum-feeds-family-four-just-27490154

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/recipes/scrapbooks/feed-your-family-for-a-fiver

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/budget_family_meal_plan_for_four

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/budget-dinner-recipes-for-families-b2175376.html

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My prices would be just like your prices.

Unsubstantiated claims.

Which is precisely why unsubstantiated claims have no meaning when we have real data from Government agencies and reputable charities with decades of experience working with poverty reporting almost 10,000,000 people in the UK are not able to afford regular meals.

These people haven’t suddenly become profligate, they’ve been driven into poverty by the economic mess the UK has become after almost 13 years of gross mismanagement by this failing Government.

Driven into poverty, I thought you said pensioners in the UK were well looked after and doing alright economically with all those extra benefits?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Driven into poverty, I thought you said pensioners in the UK were well looked after and doing alright economically with all those extra benefits?

Pensioners are not the subject of this thread and are in any case an example of people who are provided wide ranging welfare support.

• Like 1

A post with altered quotes has been removed:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Pensioners are not the subject of this thread and are in any case an example of people who are provided wide ranging welfare support.

So, there are 10 million adults allegedly missing meals but none are pensioners. That's a bold statement.

Care to share evidence or is that just an unsubstantiated claim?

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

So, there are 10 million adults allegedly missing meals but none are pensioners. That's a bold statement.

Care to share evidence or is that just an unsubstantiated claim?

Can you point out where I stated there are no pensioners missing meals through poverty?

A direct quote in full please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can you point out where I stated there are no pensioners missing meals through poverty?

A direct quote in full please.

The topics is millions missing meals.

You said pensioners are not the subject.

Thus, let's not discuss pensioners as they are not included.

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What's truly remarkable about those who doubt the reality of hunger in the UK is their apparent complete ignorance of how inflation has inflicted particularly sharp damage on those with lower incomes. The less income one has, the greater proportion of that income has to go to the absolute necessities of food and electricity. The price of both of these has skyrocketed, far outpacing average inflation. So unless you believe that those on the lower income scale had lots of spare cash, how is it not likely that many don't have enough to spend on food. A few pounds may not some like much to those who money to spare, but for those who don't, it simply may not exist.

I would like to know what level of income you would describe as "lower". Either as hourly rate or annual income. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, puchooay said:

I would like to know what level of income you would describe as "lower". Either as hourly rate or annual income. Thanks.

Let’s go to the official definition and how it is measured depending on variations in the make up of households.

Take it up with HMGov if it’s not simplistic enough:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-low-income-is-measured/text-only-how-low-income-is-measured

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s go to the official definition and how it is measured depending on variations in the make up of households.

Take it up with HMGov if it’s not simplistic enough:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-low-income-is-measured/text-only-how-low-income-is-measured

Actually, I was asking someone's opinion. Some of us can have a conversation without using links.

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I know, verifiable facts are so inconvenient.

Not at all.

However, holding discussions with those who can form their own opinion, speak from experiences, hypothesise and generally come to their own conclusions is more educational and far more interesting. 

Those with such qualities are those who have the abilities to complie the data and publish the facts that you need to link to. Shame some don't process the ability to do as such.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not at all.

However, holding discussions with those who can form their own opinion, speak from experiences, hypothesise and generally come to their own conclusions is more educational and far more interesting. 

Those with such qualities are those who have the abilities to complie the data and publish the facts that you need to link to. Shame some don't process the ability to do as such.

Fact based arguments v unsubstantiated opinions, yes I understand the aversion to the former.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Fact based arguments v unsubstantiated opinions, yes I understand the aversion to the former.

It is truly hysterical that anything you believe to be unsubstantiated, simply didn't happen. Always good for a laugh.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thumbs Up 1