Having issues sending money home (Both DeeMoney & WU app)

1. Tried DeeMoney first as I’d used them once before with no issues.

I tried to make a 2nd transfer and it says my bank has rejected it. Fair enough, but I’m having to wait over a week now to get the money back, and the fees won’t be refunded I’m told.

2. Never tried Western Union before, downloaded their app and it looked promising, but it’s not letting me register an account as it thinks my UK postcode should be 6 digits (without letters).

Can anyone offer any advice? 

(I won’t be using DeeMoney again - I gave them money instantly but have to wait x days for a refund)

5 hours ago, decline said:

(I won’t be using DeeMoney again - I gave them money instantly but have to wait x days for a refund)

Why would Dee money refund your fees if your bank rejected a transaction? After all they provided the service, the failure was on your end

As for the sum,  with a wire transfer and a traditional bank it could take several weeks for your cash t0 find its way home. Count yourself fortunate. 

• Like 1

When using Western Union, make sure you are using the Western Union site for Thailand. If you try to use the website setup for a different country it won't work. To register your account, you may have to physically go and show them your passport. I recall having to do that when I set mine up (sometime before Covid). 

Due to the competition from Wise and other online systems the Western Union fees/exchange rates are now on par with other online transfer services. 

• Thanks 1

Are you sending £ or some other currency to be converted into £, to your own £ account in a bank in the UK? Looks like you're transferring online from a bank here. Have you tried cash over the counter? WU will do it, for 99 THB I think to a nominee who picks up at the other end in person. Dead simple. Is it a large amount? Everybody runs KYC nowadays, so setting up accounts is a total pain.

I had a totally unproductive time trying to transfer money from Thailand to an Indian bank account in payment for online meds. Nobody wanted to know. Dee, Wise, WU, XE, Remitly, Ria, Revolut, Instarem etc etc. And SWIFT from my UK bank charges £25. I found a way in the end which didn't involve banks or apps. Find somebody here you trust who has contacts in target country. Pay them here in cash or however, Promptpay, Thai bank transfer etc etc. Get receipt and photo evidence (they supplied both for me without question). They transfer to the contact in destination country, who will use an ATM or local bank branch to pay into the destination bank account. Yes, such people do exist! And it worked. Maybe not really relevant in your case, but maybe of use to others.

YMMV

17 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

When using Western Union, make sure you are using the Western Union site for Thailand. If you try to use the website setup for a different country it won't work. To register your account, you may have to physically go and show them your passport. I recall having to do that when I set mine up (sometime before Covid). 

Due to the competition from Wise and other online systems the Western Union fees/exchange rates are now on par with other online transfer services. 

I went to the WU office in Central here in Pattaya. It's not really an office, more of a glorified booth, but it does have a couple of knowledgeable ladies working there who might be able to help you. They got me an account set up (KYC and all). But it turned out useless for my purposes as WU won't deal with overseas business accounts.

Edited by bradiston

1 hour ago, Tazmo said:

I have been using WISE now for several years.  No problem.  Money is received within 2 minutes.

Download the App. apply with the necessary details and ID.

I doubt very much you have used Wise to transfer funds out of Thailand , I have had a Wise ( previously Transferwise ) account for 5 years and they definitely dont fo transfers out if Thailand because they dont have the license to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not to sound dumb. But I have transferred money from my Bangkok Bank account to my USA Chase Bank account with no issues at all. As they both use swift method. As for the fee & exchange rate, I don't remember if it was good or not. So far, I have done transfers three times in the last 10 months and the money ended up in my account within 24 hours. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

Why would Dee money refund your fees if your bank rejected a transaction? After all they provided the service, the failure was on your end

As for the sum,  with a wire transfer and a traditional bank it could take several weeks for your cash t0 find its way home. Count yourself fortunate. 

Knew there’d be one saying it’s all my fault, surprised you didn’t use caps

It worked the first time so why an issue this time?

Anyway found a way to do it via PayPal in the end 

Edited by decline

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Did you check with your bank if they, in fact, rejected the transfer coming from DeeMoney, and if so, for what reason?

Without knowing that, using any other method would be rolling the dice. 

Nope, I never knew I had to contact my bank before transferring money to it. Never an issue the first time and never a problem when using Wise to transfer money to here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 4:04 AM, Crazy Noobie said:

Not to sound dumb. But I have transferred money from my Bangkok Bank account to my USA Chase Bank account with no issues at all. As they both use swift method. As for the fee & exchange rate, I don't remember if it was good or not. So far, I have done transfers three times in the last 10 months and the money ended up in my account within 24 hours. 

This ^^  - My wife uses the app on her phone and transfers the funds from home. Never an issue, good exchange rates and minimal fee.