Concrete Kitchen Questions

Just wondering how much concrete kitchen units cost to be made roughly and what materials are best to use, i.e. concrete blocks, bricks, etc.  Are the concrete shelves done with concrete and supporting metal strips like the tall poles to make them strong?  

Interested to hear feedback and tips from other TV members who have had cement kitchen units built.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

In 12 years nobody else has asked the question ????  

Sorry, it's a cross(y) I have to bare noticing things like that ????

I was thinking maybe gas bottle as mentioned by @Black Ops but also thought given the layout gas would be outside coming through the wall for safety.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

I don't have much in the way of photos of ours under construction and the cost wasn't broken out of the contract.

The structure.

post-14979-0-70628800-1337781027.jpg

Here it is ready for the granite.

post-14979-0-61589700-1341057406.jpg

Base units completed.

post-14979-0-13954600-1341057419.jpg

And 12 years later.

image.jpeg.a8e53993f4f328590358f9dcb23cff89.jpeg

Looks good but is it 600mm deep as it looks a little narrow.

1 minute ago, brianburi said:

I bought her a sturdy BBQ and she cooks  out in the fresh air......

So, an outdoor kitchen ???? 

Some like to formalise the outdoor space, ours is much like yours but it has a roof to keep the rain off Madam when doing the cooking ????

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

I don't have much in the way of photos of ours under construction and the cost wasn't broken out of the contract.

The structure.

post-14979-0-70628800-1337781027.jpg

Here it is ready for the granite.

post-14979-0-61589700-1341057406.jpg

Base units completed.

post-14979-0-13954600-1341057419.jpg

And 12 years later.

image.jpeg.a8e53993f4f328590358f9dcb23cff89.jpeg

I should have done that. Built the kitchen myself european style. Just on 13 years old now and in the last year or so a fair amount of termite damage.

100_2923.JPG

100_2924.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Just on 13 years old now and in the last year or so a fair amount of termite damage.

Yeah, the beasties really love the wood composites ???? 

We installed a termite-system when we built the house, the little blighters bypassed it and got into the ceiling void above my workshop! New ceiling time ???? Luckily, they remained confined to that space.

The route they used is now closed and the termite-man knows to top up the extra feed point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wellll... I thought our's was going to be a typical Isaan outdoor kitchen, but, education and 'the West' had a detremental effect on Wifey, so when I kept saying 'why have a kitchen near a kitchen?' and was cunningly worn down, to my regret I stupidly said ' Right it's your project, you do it, I don't want anything to do with it.' So she got a professional builder with CAD drawings etc and a huge price and did a real crappy job.

Anyway, all good and I really like the outside kitchen. It's like a woman's 'Man Cave'. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, the beasties really love the wood composites ???? 

We installed a termite-system when we built the house, the little blighters bypassed it and got into the ceiling void above my workshop! New ceiling time ???? Luckily, they remained confined to that space.

The route they used is now closed and the termite-man knows to top up the extra feed point.

When the house was build the electrician put conduit in the wall with a feed to the outside. Although the connection box on the ouside wall had been sealed the sealant had aged and cracked and they got in there and up to the connection box under the ceiling in the lounge. From there they got into the coving and along the coving into the kitchen. With the units aging they had started to delaminate exposing the bare composite and easy dining.

The wooden coving was supposed to have been treated but not very well. I had the coving replaced with plastic in the lounge and kitchen not that long ago and you could see most was untouched but some badly eaten away.

Damage repair is still ongoing. Where the units have been weakened having to put in additional support for the granite worktop.

• Thumbs Up 2

For construction: 75mm QCon type blocks were used, with rebar and cement bond beams.

If you go to the QCon site you will find videos on the construction method recommended.

As others have said use as little wood as you can. Cement, metal and fibro cement, anything except wood unless it is Teak. Non of our Teak has been attached by termites. 

• Like 1