REVEALED: Three Chinese spy balloons infiltrated the US during Trump administration but he NEVER shot them down or told the public - as Republicans call for Biden to resign for putting Americans at risk

Scott

3 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Americans like to shoot things. Thats their favorite way to solve problems , with a gun.

Remember when the USSR shot down the U2 spy plane, they are all at it.

What I don't understand is how do you send a balloon anywhere , doesn't it only go where the wind takes it?

The higher upper  streams is quite predictable due to seasons.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

By riding the various currents that flow at different heights.

Not this one.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chinese-spy-balloon-has-unexpected-maneuverability/

"We know that it’s a surveillance balloon.... We know this is a Chinese balloon and that it has the ability to maneuver.”

This maneuverability is beyond the capabilities of most high-altitude balloons, says John Villasenor, director of the Institute for Technology, Law and Policy and a professor of electrical engineering, law, public policy and management at the University of California, Los Angeles. "

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Not this one.

Without the specifics of the flight path I see little in that article that refutes my post, there is no suggestion it went against the wind, what it is suggesting is it had more control than typical weather balloons which lends weight to the allegation it was a spy balloon rather than a weather balloon as claimed by China.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Without the specifics of the flight path I see little in that article that refutes my post, there is no suggestion it went against the wind, what it is suggesting is it had more control than typical weather balloons which lends weight to the allegation it was a spy balloon rather than a weather balloon as claimed by China.

It wasn't an attempt to refute your post but to reveal what, I think for most of us, is new info about additional maneuverability capabilities of this type of balloons.

Obviously, having propulsion that , in addition to lateral movement, also allows for horizontal movement greatly adds to the options the controller of the balloon has wrt positioning it.

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Good to see the NABAT (Not As Bad As Trump) team out in full force here.

You are missing the key phrase in the OP story- "briefly transited".  That is a far cry from the current situation. This one had a liesurely 7 day transit of North America, from Alaska to South Carolina. Just happening to pass over or near many American military installations, ballistic missile bases, etc.  

Even if, worst case scenario, there WERE three significan incursions that Trump knew about and did not act, that does not excuse Biden's poor decision making here.  What he did, to use a sports analogy, was to tackle the runner after he scored a touchdown. 

......he says confidently without having the full picture of what took place and probably never will.:clap2:

• Like 2

I was wondering why Rubio was confirming what pentagon officials said,Apparently this is worse than prior occurrences .Probably were so insignificant that they never made it to Trumps daily briefings or his administration  ie Rattcliff and Grenell and Pompeo.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), who is the vice chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, also called the recent Chinese balloon incursion "unprecedented," and noted that while there may have been minor breaches of U.S. airspace in the past, he was unaware of something so flagrant.

https://gazette.com/news/us-world/former-spy-chief-john-ratcliffe-denies-reports-that-china-sent-three-balloons-under-trump/article_b05cb3c9-cf1c-57ed-b389-656b3b9ef5c0.html

4 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

By contrast we know the current balloon was first spotted in Montana. It was shot down over the Atlantic.  That is a distance of 3,700 KM.  

The question in my mind is: If the package was the size of 3 busses, as I seem to recall was reported in UK news, why was it not spotted earlier? It made Alaska and Canada....

11 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

The question in my mind is: If the package was the size of 3 busses, as I seem to recall was reported in UK news, why was it not spotted earlier? It made Alaska and Canada....

You raise a good question.  This is the path that the Daily Mail UK states the balloon took You sure would have expected that the balloon would have been spotted as it approached Canada and certainly as it crossed over Canadian airspace before entering Montana.  One thing is for sure, the balloon should have been destroyed over Montana which is largely open land.  It appears the balloon also went over South Dakota close to Rapid City.  For anyone who has traveled to that area of South Dakota whidh is called the Black Hills, it is rugged mostly uninhabited and a huge National Park.  Hardly something that would raise a concern over falling debris from the balloon. 

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana  for the past several days | Daily Mail Online

0d86ca3290eaec0c6d4cb4f1be9aedd7

image.png.cc4d62dc25dda1f93c52404028fab163.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well I guess Trump would have handled things differently, being a genius and all that. However after his first rants about shooting it down, he's now changed tune.........lol

Trump changes his tune about Chinese spy balloon — now claims he would have made 'the greatest deal EVER'

For days, former President Donald Trump and his allied Republicans have railed against President Joe Biden for not shooting down a Chinese spy balloon as it made its way across the United States.

Trump then claimed: "The Chinese would never have floated the Blimp ('Balloon') over the United States if I were President!!!"

"Who sends a Billion Dollar blimp, with the most sophisticated equipment in the World, and large enough to hold ten cars or 3 large buses, into a complex pattern over the United States, without it quite possibly being manned, such as the 'manned spacecraft?'" Trump asked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-changes-his-tune-about-chinese-spy-balloon-—-now-claims-he-would-have-made-the-greatest-deal-ever/ar-AA178IBP

Link to original post in the article above

If Trump were still POTUS, he'd send this to China in retaliation....

1226882177_Trumpballoon.jpg.4c02ca1c34ee93b0ecb0cda3dbdf40b8.jpg

• Haha 2

Simply amazing how a discussion about the Biden administration's reaction to the spy balloon so quickly develops into a "...but Trump" festival. What the Great Orange Bad Man may or may not have done is completely irrelevant, particularly when there are so few details available.  It is entirely possible that he messed up too.  Both the current and former occupants of the White House can be wrong, it isn't a win/lose political issue.

The important issue is how Biden dealt with it. Alaska and northern Canada fall under the aegis of NORAD and there are alert aircraft available 24/7 on both sides of the border. It is a shared responsibility, so there is no fear that Canadian politicians would get upset over issues of sovereignty and overflying Canadian territory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1