REVEALED: Three Chinese spy balloons infiltrated the US during Trump administration but he NEVER shot them down or told the public - as Republicans call for Biden to resign for putting Americans at risk

Scott

12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

There really is precious little a balloon could get that a satellite could not do better. Also, much 'intel' is open source. HUMINT is often the only missing piece, not any sort of SIGINT.

While the US used to use the SR-71 to take photos and gather data, those aircraft were grounded when the various iterations of the Keyhole satellites were deployed. China has similarly sophisticated satellites. The NSA, as well as Chinese, Russian, and other Five Eyes intel services, can capture every single electronic transmission on Earth. Secrets are kept secret via encryption, not borders, and quantum computers can now break lots of encryption. (Anybody think WhatsApp is actually secure?)

Google Maps is 100% borrowed low resolution material from US spy satellites. "Low resolution" means Google is not given the imaging that can tell the date on a coin on the ground---through cloud cover---via a satellite following a molniya orbit whose apogee might be 25000 miles above Earth.

Best everybody just chill out about balloons. It's only a political issue now because repubs cannot bark about the economy.

I was going to give you a thumbs up till you spoiled the vibe with the last sentence.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can never admit when your Hero has made a major blunder and then been caught in a lie.  BTW I am not a Biden fan either, but at least they took action to ensure no one on the ground was injured by falling debris, and have obtained the equipment for study, whereas Trump never did anything except talk the big talk and the Big Lie.  Sure intelligence may have been gathered by the balloon, but the the Chines, Russians, and so on already know the locations of our silos, this was probably for a closer inspection, but then until the information is released it is just speculation.  Whereas the Big Lie is not speculation, it actually did come from the Trumps lips and his twitter rants.

Why would I admit to something both unproven and also challenged by former government people? You loathe Trump so much that you cannot contain your own speculation, bias and rants.

But to the topic, there has been little evidence yet to show the real reason for this balloon visit but it does seem that it can carry quite an amount of equipment or cargo. We don't yet know what that cargo is this time, or what it could be in the future, under another balloon. Why take the chance of allowing one to drift over the whole country?  

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 8:34 AM, nauseus said:

Not easy at 60,000ft. The air force shot it down with a single missile (no warhead) so that the debris would come down in shallow water. The navy is retrieving what they can for evaluation.

If they put a small hole in the balloon it would descend slowly. Perhaps they don't really want to find out, or be able to claim that it was destroyed on landing. Be a bit embarrassing if it was just a weather research balloon.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Why would I admit to something both unproven and also challenged by former government people? You loathe Trump so much that you cannot contain your own speculation, bias and rants.

But to the topic, there has been little evidence yet to show the real reason for this balloon visit but it does seem that it can carry quite an amount of equipment or cargo. We don't yet know what that cargo is this time, or what it could be in the future, under another balloon. Why take the chance of allowing one to drift over the whole country?  

Second sentence- ain't that the truth!

Second paragraph- some claims have been made on here it was tracked before it crossed the coast, so if that is true, why not shoot it down before it crossed the coast?

That would be a political decision, surely?

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

I guess the first thing they did, was to contact the Chinese on high level and communicated with them until they shot it down. Even told them they would shoot it down. 

A balloon deliver dirty bombs? Viruses?

I read in Norwegian news they had jammed the signals from the balloon while it travelled over USA, but haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you watched the James Bond films you would have seen that the US had the capability to capture balloons. If they could do that decades ago, why not now?

Because they don't make them like they used to.

Edited by nauseus
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I guess the first thing they did, was to contact the Chinese on high level and communicated with them until they shot it down. Even told them they would shoot it down. 

I read in Norwegian news they had jammed the signals from the balloon while it travelled over USA, but haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

I think Biden said that the US had been talking to Beijing throughout - I would expect that.

It is the potential for harmful payloads which concerns me most.

I think I read that anti-surveillance measures were taken, at least over mainland USA.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

All you experts should run for office.

search your name in Wikipedia…… oh, nothing?

carry on with your posts, wasting one minute at a time as I sit in the Oval Office and do something !!

Helping Joe out over there I hope?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you watched the James Bond films you would have seen that the US had the capability to capture balloons. If they could do that decades ago, why not now?

I suppose that is the difference between fact and fantasy.

I used to enjoy the early James Bond films but I stopped watching them after Roger Moore was replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

All you experts should run for office.

search your name in Wikipedia…… oh, nothing?

carry on with your posts, wasting one minute at a time as I sit in the Oval Office and do something !!

Yet I am listed in Wikipedia....for what, well that's for you to seek out.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Second sentence- ain't that the truth!

Second paragraph- some claims have been made on here it was tracked before it crossed the coast, so if that is true, why not shoot it down before it crossed the coast?

That would be a political decision, surely?

If it was spying, they may have been listening in on its communications, and where it was communicating to. If it was storing info, see what was stored. Shooting it down with a missile, does seem to be an overkill, and risked damage to payload.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That is correct about catching balloons.

However it was a relatively small balloon recovered from a very low altitude compared to the 200 foot tall Chinese balloon operating at heights that most aircraft cannot fly at with several thousands of pounds weight dangling underneath it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

In popular culture
The Skyhook has been featured in a number of films and video games. It was seen in the 1965 James Bond film Thunderball, where James Bond and his companion Domino Derval are rescued at sea by a modified Boeing B-17 equipped with the Fulton system at the end of the movie.[7] In 1968, it was used in the John Wayne movie The Green Berets to spirit a VC officer to South Vietnam.[7]

The Skyhook system was also featured in the 2008 film The Dark Knight. First mentioned by Lucius Fox as a means of re-boarding an aircraft without its landing,[8] the system is attached to a Lockheed L-100 Hercules.[9][10][11]

A somewhat fictionalized interpretation of the Skyhook forms a core gameplay mechanic in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.[12]

Well, they have had a few decades to come up with something better.

Obviously it would have to be something that could snare the payload while cutting the balloon away.

Where is Q when he's needed ( or is it "she" these woke days )?

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Possibly to monitor it and see how it works.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, they have had a few decades to come up with something better.

Obviously it would have to be something that could snare the payload while cutting the balloon away.

Where is Q when he's needed ( or is it "she" these woke days )?    

They came very close. Look at the video. Looks like they severed the array connection to the balloon and let the electronics mount free fall. Note: the camera view is from below. With all the flat panels, it probably fell fairly slowly.  Real pros. Take that, Xi.

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

I did read an oblique reference to that in an article I believe was in the nytimes.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I did read an oblique reference to that in an article I believe was in the nytimes.

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

I think Biden said that the US had been talking to Beijing throughout - I would expect that.

It is the potential for harmful payloads which concerns me most.

I think I read that anti-surveillance measures were taken, at least over mainland USA.

It is quite limited what a blimp like that can carry, and the risk for being discovered is quite big now they is aware of them. Cant see any advantages these blimps can provide except more detailed pictures of the moment as they pass through, as well drop surveillance equipment as they passing critical strategical targets. 

Basically just a slow moving satellite passing by. 

I believe this is just politically strategic distraction more than anything else, and manage to keep Biden on his toes while this continues. 

They already scored when looking at all the dividing news, and how much time this already consumed from everyone in a position one or the other side.

Im sure Putin and Xi already laughing their butts off as well Kim included Taliban.

It is a deleted joke on the Usa's behalf