Prepaid Visa card?

Re Cash

https://www.scb.co.th/content/dam/scb/personal-banking/terms-conditions/prepaid-cards/scbm/tc-scb-m-visa-en.pdf

The Card does not require a PIN or password when used for payment of goods and/or services and cannot be used for withdrawal via Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) and/or any channels unless otherwise prescribed by the Bank.

re internationally 

https://www.scb.co.th/content/dam/scb/personal-banking/product-sales-sheet/prepaid-cards/scb-m-prepaid-en.pdf

Fees for transactions made in foreign currencies or overseas
 Payment of goods and services in foreign currencies will be charged in Thai baht based on Visa’s exchange rates and inclusive of foreign exchange risk charge by a maximum of 2.5% of the transaction amount.

• Haha 1

How about mastercard with Bangkok Bank? Is it easy to get?

I need a solution because my prepaid card has expired and they won't send a replacement to Thailand.

So i am bit worried about something going wrong and not having a back up. I have 2 atm cards and $400 in amex checks. A few Ether.

I guess i could transfer funds from my account to a local bank if need be?

I think i better buy about another $1000 in TC's. Is the best solution.

Edited by Don Chance

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

What i am wondering is can it be used internationally and in case of emergency get cash from a local bank or get a replacement card?  I have contact them via email but haven't heard back.

The T&C does not say.

The Product Information does...

https://www.scb.co.th/content/dam/scb/personal-banking/product-sales-sheet/prepaid-cards/scb-m-prepaid-en.pdf

The answer to your first question is "Yes"; the answer to your second is almost certainly "No".

Just as easy to get a standard SCB account as its issued with a debit card (mastercard) that only lets you draw if theres funds in the account. I have used mine all over the world to pay and get cash no problem. The app shows you all the details of your balance and usage. I presume all Thai banks has something similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Chance said:

How about mastercard with Bangkok Bank? Is it easy to get?

I need a solution because my prepaid card has expired and they won't send a replacement to Thailand.

So i am bit worried about something going wrong and not having a back up. I have 2 atm cards and $400 in amex checks. A few Ether.

I guess i could transfer funds from my account to a local bank if need be?

I think i better buy about another $1000 in TC's. Is the best solution.

I would think most bank staff under 35 years old wouldn't even know what a TC was, (so ancient).

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Has anyone used this card from SCB ?

What i am wondering is can it be used internationally and in case of emergency get cash from a local bank or get a replacement card?  I have contact them via email but haven't heard back.

The T&C does not say.

Yes…. I have this exact card (MCard) and use it all over…  Europe, Middle East, Japan… no issues at all.  

I’ve never withdrawn cash with it though. 
& Emergency cash, I’ve no idea. 

Standard Thai ATM cards (I.e. SCB & BKK bank savings accounts) can be used to withdraw cash overseas. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Crossy

MRToMRT

As for TC's they are still widely accepted all over the world.,

If they are lost or stolen they will give them right back to you.

Same with a CC, if it is lost or stolen you can just go to a bank and they will give you a cash advance.  This is why i ask if the Bangkok Bank MC provides this service. That is the whole point.  I can use paypal to pay for flight these days and most other things. i don't really need a CC for other than safety.

My bank will send me a new atm card but it take 2-3 weeks (ridiculous.) So i need to have enough cash to last me in case that happens.

Edited by Don Chance

35 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

My bank will send me a new atm card but it take 2-3 weeks (ridiculous.) So i need to have enough cash to last me in case that happens.

Ask for a HIP card, issued on the spot in the bank as it does not show your name so no need for it to be specially printed.