Volatile and expensive baht a problem for the economy, could be subject to speculative trading

webfact

image.jpeg

Minister of Finance Arkhom Termpittayapaisith on Friday warned that the higher-valued Thai baht is negatively impacting the kingdom’s economy and exports. Ironically, it comes just four days after the baht suffered its steepest one-day loss against the US dollar in 23 years amid signs that the Thai currency has again become a focus of international financial speculators betting against or shorting the US dollar after the dollar bucked the market following a stronger than expected jobs report.

by Joseph O' Connor

The government’s economic planners are nervously pouring over the numbers on the economy. This has already led to the 2022 growth figure being pared back and on Friday, we saw the country’s finance minister warn about the damage being done by the higher-priced Thai baht.

Thailand’s currency, the baht, could be the subject of speculation, driving the baht higher, as traders short the US dollar in anticipation of an easing of interest rates by the Federal Reserve in the United States. This proposition took a hit on Monday when we saw the baht decline by over 3% against the US dollar in one day, its largest drop in 23 years. Nevertheless, on Friday, Minister of Finance Arkhom Termpittayapaisith insisted the ongoing strength of the baht was a key concern for the kingdom’s economic prospects in 2023 as the Fiscal Policy Office gets ready to scale back finalised GDP growth figures for 2022 which will be released on February 17th.

The Thai government will release its definitive 2022 GDP data on February 17th next amid reports that a sharp downturn in the last three months of 2022 led by a decline in exports could mean significantly lower than anticipated GDP growth for last year.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/02/10/expensive-baht-a-problem-for-the-economy/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-02-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, hotchilli said:

Cheap shot...

How else can it be said? Saying it's manipulation is an easy answer, just say one word and you've explained it all but said nothing. Saying I don't know is another easy answer but it's three words and far less interesting and intriguing. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

I said one word "manipulation" as it explains adequately why the baht acts as it does..

I didn't go into details as that might be treated as deformation by certain people or enterprises.

Nuff siad.

BOT wont be concerned if you want to theorise on the subject, they've heard and seen it all before. The problem with suggesting currency manipulation is two fold: the first is there's another explanation for Baht volatility that is supported by global markets, central banks and economists globally. And let's face it, if any central bank thought that BOT was indeed playing fast an free with the Baht, it would be easily noticed and other countries would refuse to deal with them, least of foreign investors, especially not the Japanese who are the biggest investor. The second aspect I've already mentioned which is the imbalance of trade and the US fed. But an extension of that is that BOT is actually required to intervene in markets by IMF rules, in order to smooth volatility. To then suggest there is a third layer which is manipulation for gain, well, it's just silly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

Manipulation by the soldiers government, and before I get negative answers about this, ask yourself what is the value of the baht against the GBP now compared to 2014 when the unelected PM stole the country.

Is it just coincidence that the Thai baht was about 50 baht to the £ then, and now it is only little more than 40 baht now.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

So you have totally ignored the Brexit effect just to suit your pro-Thaksin the Crook agenda. Pathetic!

What about the rate being 70 AFTER he left office?    Coincidence?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

A typical 'attack the poster' comment where you have been proved wrong.....????

Sorry my mistake, the unelected PM was actually elected in 2019, and Thaksin was not elected at all. Debate now closed.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Manipulation by the soldiers government, and before I get negative answers about this, ask yourself what is the value of the baht against the GBP now compared to 2014 when the unelected PM stole the country.

Is it just coincidence that the Thai baht was about 50 baht to the £ then, and now it is only little more than 40 baht now.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Correct, there was no coincidence, neither did the one thing have any effect on the other. Once again, USD is at the heart of the matter, look at the GBP/USD relationship and then look at GBP/THB, you don't see Thaksin or an army general anywhere! What you do see is a Pound loosing value against USD, which translates into the Pound loosing value against THB.

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (38).png

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Correct, there was no coincidence, neither did the one thing have any effect on the other. Once again, USD is at the heart of the matter, look at the GBP/USD relationship and then look at GBP/THB, you don't see Thaksin or an army general anywhere! What you do see is a Pound loosing value against USD, which translates into the Pound loosing value against THB.

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (38).png

and has this been the case for all of the nine years the unelected PM has been in office? I know about Brexit and the US dollar, but I still say that the soldiers have been manipulating the Baht up to a degree, and the main thing is still the word coinsidense.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

and has this been the case for all of the nine years the unelected PM has been in office? I know about Brexit and the US dollar, but I still say that the soldiers have been manipulating the Baht up to a degree, and the main thing is still the word coinsidense.

I presume you can see the graphs, your coincidence argument is so far out on a limb that the tree fell over years ago. I know how much you dearly want to blame the PM for this but you're going to have find something else to blame on him, I know, how's about global warming!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

These numpties have no idea that rising baht causes less exports and less 'potential' tourists - i certainly would think twice about going to a place this year where my currency has lost 8-10%

They don't care. Have you seen the front page BP advertorials for property in Kensington?  Btw, it dropped 20% after Brexit. Which really didn't happen

Edited by rabiedabruce
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I said one word "manipulation" as it explains adequately why the baht acts as it does..

I didn't go into details as that might be treated as deformation by certain people or enterprises.

Nuff siad.

Deformation is a terrible thing. It is the greatest nightmare of every parent. 

Defamation, if that is what you meant, is simply a vehicle cowards use, to get around offering good service, products or simply being very substandard. Some of us pay no heed to it, and refuse to be cowed into submission by fools. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1