Aircon and Fans

stament

I've read a few articles that say it's beneficial to use a celing fan when using aircon as it means you don't need the aircon on as low so it saves electricity.  I was wondering where should the fan be positioned with regards to the aircon in terms of distance.  I was thinking of buying the mitsubuishi 56 inch ceiling fan.  

However, some articles I have read say that ceiling fans aren't very beneficial when used on their own and in fact floor and wall fans work better.  

Secondly, would a ceiling fan be beneficial placed above the cooking area?

Any members have any experiences and recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Have 3 of this Mitsubishi Fans installed, they are really good. But not easy to install as very heavy, around 10kg.

To install one above the cooking area is depending on what kind of Hob you have, Electric or Gas Stove.

32 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Have 3 of this Mitsubishi Fans installed, they are really good. But not easy to install as very heavy, around 10kg.

To install one above the cooking area is depending on what kind of Hob you have, Electric or Gas Stove.

Thanks @UWEBWe have a gas hob, would it be okay to use on a lower setting if the fan was slightly behind where the person is cooking say 60cm from the edge of the counter do you think?

Which fan do you have the 56 inch helicopter type fan?

Do they work well in conjunction with the Aircon?

As regards installing I saw a thread whereby they have a steel plate attached to the cement blocks which is concealed above the gipsum ceiling.

Certainly having a fan on the same time as AC cools the room quicker, feels colder also so i usually turn fan off after a short time.

My fans are too powerful, 3 power settings, if i could I'd buy fans with 5. A light breeze at night is ideal. My way round it is moving the fan further away if necessary, I read one person halved the power to the fans which also would work

If it's hot in the room a fan doesn't help much, still hot and humid

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Encid said:

The only fan you want to have above a cooking area would be an exhaust fan to remove the steam and toxic vapours produced by Thai cooking, not a ceiling or wall fan that would spread those fumes elsewhere (including the eyes of the cook).

Floor standing fans are more versatile when it comes to positioning for optimal cooling.

We are having a hood above the gas hob to extract the smoke and smells. I didn't think about the fan circulating the smells, good point.

44 minutes ago, stament said:

Thanks @UWEBWe have a gas hob, would it be okay to use on a lower setting if the fan was slightly behind where the person is cooking say 60cm from the edge of the counter do you think?

Which fan do you have the 56 inch helicopter type fan?

Do they work well in conjunction with the Aircon?

As regards installing I saw a thread whereby they have a steel plate attached to the cement blocks which is concealed above the gipsum ceiling.

Yes, I have the 56 Inch ones. I never use them on step 5 as it will you just blow away. One is installed in the Center of the Living Room (6mx4m) of our Guesthouse, switching on Aircon and Fan cools down the Room in no time.

When having a Gas Stove it is not a good idea to install a Ceiling Fan close by, I have had the same idea at time of planning my Kitchen but moved the Fan 2 meters away as he will blow out the Gas Flames very easy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Certainly having a fan on the same time as AC cools the room quicker, feels colder also so i usually turn fan off after a short time.

My fans are too powerful, 3 power settings, if i could I'd buy fans with 5. A light breeze at night is ideal. My way round it is moving the fan further away if necessary, I read one person halved the power to the fans which also would work

If it's hot in the room a fan doesn't help much, still hot and humid

I find that too. A slower speed is needed on my fan. I ordered a simple 220v  speed controller circuit off AliExpress. Coming soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stament said:

However, some articles I have read say that ceiling fans aren't very beneficial when used on their own and in fact floor and wall fans work better.  

That very much depends on the design of your rooms. My workshop fans (84”) are ceiling mounted and are excellent, FWIW the workshop is not cooled, the 6 house fans are also ceiling mounted and SWMBO supplements them with a couple of floor fans

I run  a lot which increases my core temps.  Hard to cool down for up to 5 hours after a hard effort.  Ceiling fans help a little after the room is cooled down but a floor fan pointed at me allows me to increase the AC temp a few decrees vs the Ceiling fan.  Floor fans for functionality and ceiling fans for aesthetics. Under the right conditions ceiling fans are OK but in a hot room they suck vs. a fan.  A ceiling fan in a hot room pushing down hot air is still better than nothing.  

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is that very technical to fit? let us know how it goes, AliExpress deliveries can take a while

AU $2.37  30%OFF | AC 220V 2000W SCR Voltage Regulator Dimming Dimmers Motor Speed Controller Thermostat Electronic Voltage Regulator Module
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMbdphk

Cut the existing fan cable and fit input terminal wires at plug section and output wires onto fans cable. Of course it's high dangerous voltage so it needs to be put in a secure plastic box and cables secured tightly. As long as your an adult with understanding of insulating live voltage and that touching 220v can kill you you should be fine. The main dangers are plugging in while it's unfinished and exposed to be touched. And also if it's not secured super tightly with twists in cable or other securing help the wires can pull out of its plastic box that you have chosen if tugged hard enough. As always at your own risk. Might be some YouTube vids on that exact same speed controller .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

AU $2.37  30%OFF | AC 220V 2000W SCR Voltage Regulator Dimming Dimmers Motor Speed Controller Thermostat Electronic Voltage Regulator Module
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMbdphk

Cut the existing fan cable and fit input terminal wires at plug section and output wires onto fans cable. Of course it's high dangerous voltage so it needs to be put in a secure plastic box and cables secured tightly. As long as your an adult with understanding of insulating live voltage and that touching 220v can kill you you should be fine. The main dangers are plugging in while it's unfinished and exposed to be touched. And also if it's not secured super tightly with twists in cable or other securing help the wires can pull out of its plastic box that you have chosen if tugged hard enough. As always at your own risk. Might be some YouTube vids on that exact same speed controller .

Think I'll get one of these, simpler

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.RUAWA

Screenshot_2023-02-12-05-15-17-862_com.lazada.android.jpg

On 2/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, TimeMachine said:

I find that too. A slower speed is needed on my fan. I ordered a simple 220v  speed controller circuit off AliExpress. Coming soon.

Mine arrived. First problem, motor makes a humming noise when i reduce the voltage, so i think it's a big fail, for the bedroom anyway

Depends what you're trying to do, and already stated, design of room, ceiling height mainly.

With average RH of 60-80% all year, the fan may help, till temps hit 35C, then not a whole lot of perspirations, moisture is going to be evaporating off your skin, thus the cooling effect.   That's if it's not rainy season and knocking on 100% RH.

Fan with AC use, whether set on cool or just dehumidifier mode will make a noticeable difference.   Getting the RH down near 50%, and temps closer to 30C.  We keep AC's on 26-28C

Not a fan of ceiling fans, in hot weather, as may simply circulate the hotter air near the ceiling downward.  Better, an exhaust fan placed high, then the cooler AC air will force the hotter, up & out.

Our house cools off much quicker, if turn on exhaust fans when starting the ACs, if needed.   Though we usually turn ACs on before house warms up, then just leave on all day.

At night, can get away with just the AC and or floor fan on low.  Sometimes, when cooler, not needing either, if temps outside are mid 20sC.

We rarely open the windows, as simply too much humidity or smog, depending on season, and better kept outside.

• Like 1

Using a ceiling fan and an air conditioner can be beneficial in some situations. Still, it depends on several factors, such as the size of the room, the humidity levels, and the temperature settings of both the fan and the air conditioner. However, if the room is already very humid, using a ceiling fan may be less effective. The fan can cause moisture to accumulate on surfaces, leading to discomfort and potential mold growth. In addition, if the air conditioner is not set to the right temperature or is too small for the room, using a fan may make little difference.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Migz007 said:

Using a ceiling fan and an air conditioner can be beneficial in some situations. Still, it depends on several factors, such as the size of the room, the humidity levels, and the temperature settings of both the fan and the air conditioner. However, if the room is already very humid, using a ceiling fan may be less effective. The fan can cause moisture to accumulate on surfaces, leading to discomfort and potential mold growth. In addition, if the air conditioner is not set to the right temperature or is too small for the room, using a fan may make little difference.

Interesting theories, fallacious, but creative. I have never known of, and don’t believe in, the fans causing condensation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:02 AM, Migz007 said:

The fan can cause moisture to accumulate on surfaces, leading to discomfort and potential mold growth.

Impossible!

Fans produce moving air which acts as a drying effect on damp surfaces, not as a wetting effect on dry surfaces.

The next time your wife (or your mum) mops the tiles inside your house watch what she does... usually a fan is turned on to help dry the tiles quickly so the surface can be walked on safely without slipping.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2023 at 5:19 PM, UWEB said:

Yes, I have the 56 Inch ones. I never use them on step 5 as it will you just blow away. One is installed in the Center of the Living Room (6mx4m) of our Guesthouse, switching on Aircon and Fan cools down the Room in no time.

When having a Gas Stove it is not a good idea to install a Ceiling Fan close by, I have had the same idea at time of planning my Kitchen but moved the Fan 2 meters away as he will blow out the Gas Flames very easy.

What is it like on the other settings?  What speed do you normally run it on?  Is it the Mistsubishi fan?

On 2/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Mine arrived. First problem, motor makes a humming noise when i reduce the voltage, so i think it's a big fail, for the bedroom anyway

My fan too makes noise when slowed down with 3rd party controller. Not sure if it's solvable with added components like capacitors or balancing. But I'll leave that up to the fan engineers.

• Like 1

Where I am now renting I only get frontal sun until one and a half hour after sunrise, so I can be comfortable using only the ceiling fan. I don't even need it at night these days but this may change as nights get hotter. One thing I read about fans is that they're not good if the humidity emanating from your body has not escape to equilibrate so I leave the (netted!) windows wide open day and night.

Using only a fan has some benefits compared to aircons: lower electricity cost and lower noise, less of a thermal shock when you go out. I find ceiling fans much better than standing fans. A ceiling fan will keep the air in gentle motion rather than blow in your face. It doesn't take up useful space. It is less likely to stir up dust. Regarding positioning, I've noticed ceiling fans are often slightly offset relative to the bed, ie not placed directly above the bed. That must be to avoid injury in case you want to stand up on the bed.

Ceiling fans have a unique colonial flair aircons don't have.