Paetongtarn ‘Not No.1 Pheu Thai Candidate For PM’

webfact

image.jpeg

Senator Wanchai Sonsiri, right, and Paetongtarn Shinawatra, left. Photo: Matichon

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

PAETONGTARN SHINAWATRA will not be finally chosen as the No.1 among a trio of Pheu Thai contestants for prime minister though she may be virtually performing as a magnet to draw popular support for the whole party, de facto guided by her father, said an outspoken senator Sunday (Feb.12).

According to Senator Wanchai Sonsiri, de facto Pheu Thai boss Thaksin Shinawatra will eventually prefer another person over his youngest daughter to be top partisan contender for head of a post-election government because, he said, Paetongtarn will be otherwise denied by many senators.

Many of the 250 senators all of whom had been handpicked by the 2014 coup junta under leadership of army chief-turned-premier Prayut Chan-o-cha will almost certainly reject Paetongtarn if she failed to muster yea votes from more than half the total of MPs and senators combined, or from at least 376 of the total lawmakers, according to the senator.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/02/12/paetongtarn-not-no-1-pheu-thai-candidate-for-pm/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Many of the 250 senators all of whom had been handpicked by the 2014 coup junta under leadership of army chief-turned-premier Prayut Chan-o-cha will almost certainly reject Paetongtarn if she failed to muster yea votes from more than half the total of MPs and senators combined, or from at least 376 of the total lawmakers, according to the senator.

The people should vote for their favourite party.

The people should vote for the PM

Not the senate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Like him or loathe him, he was better for Thailand than the military regime.

I know he helped himself immensely when in power but money did cascade to all levels.

Now that flow of cash has remained at the top.

The wealth divide has grown since they got into power 8 years ago.

There are no red-shirts on the streets of Bangkok anymore. Life is quiet without those looters and arsonist. Hopefully it stays like that.

640px-Red_Shirt_Army,_Bangkok,_Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are no red-shirts on the streets of Bangkok anymore. Life is quiet without those looters and arsonist. Hopefully it stays like that.

640px-Red_Shirt_Army,_Bangkok,_Thailand.

You wouldn't see them if there are no coups. The movement formed in 2006 after the coup that deposed then popular elected Thaksin. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You wouldn't see them if there are no coups. The movement formed in 2006 after the coup that deposed then popular elected Thaksin. 

And there wouldn't have been a coup, and another one, if Thaksin would have worked all Thais and Thailand and not mostly for his own pocket. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Maybe she herself doesn't want to end up exiled in Dubai counting the grains of sand.

What do they always tell the people: Just say no! 

I remember when Yingluck was initially reluctant to do the job for her brother. First she said no, and then she did what he wanted. I wonder how often she asked herself later: Why didn't I just say no - and live happily ever after? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do they always tell the people: Just say no! 

I remember when Yingluck was initially reluctant to do the job for her brother. First she said no, and then she did what he wanted. I wonder how often she asked herself later: Why didn't I just say no - and live happily ever after? 

Unbearable pressure from the family, I assume .

Thaksin appointed her head of SC Assets.

'Come on little sis, big brother needs your help now, remember all I've done for you.'

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And there wouldn't have been a coup, and another one, if Thaksin would have worked all Thais and Thailand and not mostly for his own pocket. 

He would not have been elected in a landslide for 2 terms if Thais didn't benefitted from his policies affecting economy & public health among others. The minority mostly rich elites dislike him and oust him with the help of the corrupt military. Really pointless to engage you in a reasonable debate if you harbour strong views that the minority with the military can usurped the wishes of the majority of the people. 

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

Unbearable pressure from the family, I assume .

Thaksin appointed her head of SC Assets.

'Come on little sis, big brother needs your help now, remember all I've done for you.'

It must be really hard to be the little sister in a rich and influential family. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He would not have been elected in a landslide for 2 terms if Thais didn't benefitted from his policies affecting economy & public health among others. The minority mostly rich elites dislike him and oust him with the help of the corrupt military. Really pointless to engage you in a reasonable debate if you harbour strong views that the minority with the military can usurped the wishes of the majority of the people. 

I prefer a smart minority compared to a stupid majority.

Democracy only works well with well informed people who understand what is going on and what they are voting for. As long as the farmers still vote for the highest bidder and as long as they get their news from Truth Today or the red village leaders, democracy does not work in the way it is supposed to work.

The same can be observed in other so called first world countries. Idiots voting for idiots. 

• Like 1

Just naming Paetongtarn Shinawatra will, most likely, backfire big, big time. Can't see this young lady with zero experience and lack of charisma getting the necessary votes from all those grannies and uncles upcountry. The old rule "get voted on the country side to secure urban rule" still prevails for the time being. A different thing though, if it is clearly mentioned, that she will be her father's mouth piece. 

Back in the day Thaksin woke up sleeping dogs and, despite all efforts by literally anyone, it is impossible to put those canines back to where they came from.

On the other hand, Thaksins time runs out. It needs to be understood, that Thaksin has a lost face to recover and a lot of open bills with quite a few dinosaurs in the land need to be cleared in Thaksins favour (he thinks).

It is not about money (alone) but it is predominantly about power. So he will do everything possible to arrange a big pay back to all those people who ripped away the prime ministerial carpet under his feet just before the general assembly of the United Nations on 19 September 2006. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I prefer a smart minority compared to a stupid majority.

Democracy only works well with well informed people who understand what is going on and what they are voting for. As long as the farmers still vote for the highest bidder and as long as they get their news from Truth Today or the red village leaders, democracy does not work in the way it is supposed to work.

The same can be observed in other so called first world countries. Idiots voting for idiots. 

You keep regurgitating the same old anti democratic diatribe against the less educated segment of the society. You are a foreigner and stay in Bangkok and yet you make absurb disparaging opinion about a majority of Thais. You really in no position to make such judgement. The Constitution has no such distinction of electorate qualification and adopt democratic election. Your comment is idiotic not the common people. 

57 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You keep regurgitating the same old anti democratic diatribe against the less educated segment of the society. You are a foreigner and stay in Bangkok and yet you make absurb disparaging opinion about a majority of Thais. You really in no position to make such judgement. The Constitution has no such distinction of electorate qualification and adopt democratic election. Your comment is idiotic not the common people. 

My opinion is my opinion. Not more, not less.

I don't pretend to be the representative speaker for all people, and sure I am not representing idiots.

It's up to you if you like it or not, I don't care.

• Like 1