British police head to Thailand over woman's 2004 Yorkshire Dales death

webfact

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

That is it?! 

Like I said;  What The -deleted- were they doing for four years. Sitting aorund talking about how hard they had it as kids. This is a combination 4 yorkshire men & gumby's skit. 

Sure, they just sat around for 4 years and did nothing, does that make you feel better?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Then another seven year gap for the UK cops to want to speak to her former husband.?

And how were they suppose to know who her former husband was?  When the body was first identified as being from South East Asia they made appeals to embassies, but nothing came up.

They didn't know until the family came forward in 2019 to say their daughter was missing and they did DNA tests. Then they contacted the husband. 

It is really easy to look this case up and see the timeline of the investigation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference: (Lady in the Hills cold case)

"North Yorkshire Police officers are now travelling to Thailand to speak to Lamduan’s parents ................. after an almost four-year delay due to COVID."

Full story: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cold-case-police-lady-hills-thailand-b2281126.html

Please remember, COVID paranoia in Thailand kept access restrictions in place much longer than other countries.

COVID has been a big excuse for civil servants and local authorities not doing their jobs in the UK.

Fact is that they are just lazy and inefficient and used COVID as a smokescreen.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

90 day report - surely there's no escaping that - because if there is then it's a waste of time for anyone to do them, ever.

There is no need to do them anyway, they are only there because Thai governments, soldiers or not, love the authority they have over Farangs.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference: (Lady in the Hills cold case)

"North Yorkshire Police officers are now travelling to Thailand to speak to Lamduan’s parents ................. after an almost four-year delay due to COVID."

Full story: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cold-case-police-lady-hills-thailand-b2281126.html

Please remember, COVID paranoia in Thailand kept access restrictions in place much longer than other countries.

That's the soldiers with their Military Academy education and their health minister with the engineering degree for you. ????

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

And how were they suppose to know who her former husband was?  When the body was first identified as being from South East Asia they made appeals to embassies, but nothing came up.

They didn't know until the family came forward in 2019 to say their daughter was missing and they did DNA tests. Then they contacted the husband. 

It is really easy to look this case up and see the timeline of the investigation 

I was presuming she was in the UK on a visa sponsored by her husband. The same guy that fathered her two kids.

Edited by huangnon

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Seems strange that the husband did not report her missing plus photos ect 

See what the investigation brings up when the British police talk to the husband 

It will bring nothing up, he will deny any suggestion of involvement and they do not even know how she died, no forensics, no CCTV, no witnesses so no evidence that we know of.

Edited by proton

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My advice to him, refuse to talk to the police.

They have no evidence, so don't give them any.

I don't think he was waiting for this advice he never spoke to the police when she went "missing " so he has had 15 years keeping quiet. Plus a further 4 years since identified thinking time .I am sure he has not slept that well since 2019.I am sure he has a perfectly good explanation unfortunately I'm not as clever so can not tell you what that is

8 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

I don't think he was waiting for this advice he never spoke to the police when she went "missing " so he has had 15 years keeping quiet. Plus a further 4 years since identified thinking time .I am sure he has not slept that well since 2019.I am sure he has a perfectly good explanation unfortunately I'm not as clever so can not tell you what that is

The point being, he doesn't need any explanation. 

She left me. 

I don't remember anything, it was a long time ago. 

That's about the most he should say. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If they can find him.

Exactly. Makes me wonder why this sort of thing ends up in the media. Unless he's already under surveillance and they want to see if he'll do a runner. But that's expecting that they see the thing more like chess than checkers... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Even if the investigation isn't advanced in any way, then at least a few policemen got a free holiday in Thailand courtesy of the British taxpayer. I wonder who they will send now that Dennis Waterman is dead. 

Who else but Dixon of Dock Green.

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

She was, and as soon as she was identified they questioned the husband 

15 years to identify?  she had a visa with her name on it presumably?  why no report she was missing?  why no one asks "where's your wife"?  why he not go to the Police "hey my wife and mother of my kids is missing have you found any Thais in UK"?  come on...

Just now, BobBKK said:

15 years to identify?  she had a visa with her name on it presumably?  why no report she was missing?  why no one asks "where's your wife"?  why he not go to the Police "hey my wife and mother of my kids is missing have you found any Thais in UK"?  come on...

It's easy to fall off the system in the UK, they don't have a 90 day reporting facility, to 'help' long term visitors. :whistling:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Even if the investigation isn't advanced in any way, then at least a few policemen got a free holiday in Thailand courtesy of the British taxpayer. I wonder who they will send now that Dennis Waterman is dead. 

My youngest son is a policeman in Scotland and my cousin's son is in the CID in Cheshire - if the police force in Yorkshire is sending police officers out here, it's because they've assembled enough evidence to persuade the CPS there's a good chance of a successful prosecution. Police budgets are very tight, and they wouldn't spend the kind of travel and accommodation expenses money this represents just so that someone can have a "free holiday".

They are  also human beings. One of the least favourite duties they have is to go and tell people that someone they love is dead. My cousin's son explained to me that he manages to cope with traumatic cases  by reminding himself that a successful conclusion brings closure to victims' families and enables them to move on in the process of grieving.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Nicholas Lyndhurst.