Daughter wants an iPhone

stubuzz

1 minute ago, Bangel72 said:

At 17 the sense of working hard and earning something could be of value.

I agree and that is how i was brought up. My family would not indulge me.

However, part time work in Thailand pays peanuts.

• Like 1

when i was 17 i wanted a corvette....i got a dying uncles 1949 dodge..in hindsight the dodge was better as the back seat was like a huge velvet sofa and lot more room to do the things a 17 y.o boy hopes to do with a 16 yo girl...i have long forgotten the girl but will never forget my dodge...steele was so thick you could jump up and down on the hood with zero damage to the hood...also had fluid drive and a radio that could pick up stations from hundreds of miles away on a clear night...

play u can't always get what you want by mick for her...then remind here that if try sometimes you just might find you get what you need

• Love It 1

Nothing says love like an iPhone.   She will really be happy, instead of content with anything under say 15,000.   I’d do an iPhone for like 20,000 but shop with her.

of course, if it’s a lot of money, tell her.   

I didn’t just buy my daughter an iPhone, I bought the company Apple.  5555555

20,000 you can get an amazing phone.  Under 10k and it’s ok or horrible.  

when she’s 60 she will get the minimum……17 must have status

• Love It 1

Maybe put a down payment on one for her high school graduation.  If she gets all A's and a job, give her a loan if she really wants to spend that kind of money.  A loan to be paid back to you of course, unless she can get a loan at a bank.  I got a $1000 USD loan from my Dad to get a car when I was 17, but was already working part time after school

Assuming this is in Thailand, some thoughts on phones: 

Xiaomi redmi phones are great for under 10K IMO, same or more storage than an iPhone.  Apple products do seem to last, my son has an iPhone 7 and still works great.  

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

To many Thais its a status symbol !

Worshipping the brand badge and little else.

Your money, your daughter, but for me a decent device as the times require these days is sufficient in my view, Apple is just not worth it for most teenagers, IMHO

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

However, part time work in Thailand pays peanuts.

Yes but you learn the value of work. No don't buy her an I phone for her first phone. As others have said no point if its mostly for social media, games and audio/video. If she is going to use it in her studies or has the knowledge of all the bells and whistles on an I phone okay. 

43 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Seems simple, let your wife buy it for her if she wants and can afford it.

If your daughter is working perhaps you could share the costs with her if the money is not a concern for you. 

Curious though to what extra value a 35k phone would offer over an 8k phone to a 17 year old.

Status symbol.....

55 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Seems simple, let your wife buy it for her if she wants and can afford it.

If your daughter is working perhaps you could share the costs with her if the money is not a concern for you. 

Curious though to what extra value a 35k phone would offer over an 8k phone to a 17 year old.

The value of "Look at me, I have an I-Phone"  it's all about being in with the trendy gadgets.

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

UP2U ... and your finances, but if it's in the budget, and she is worthy,  and responsible enough, grades ... bla bla bla

... Why not

... IF her first phone, or if prone to losing things and or need replacing every year...

... hell NO, let her lose some <10k baht phone before going all in expensive.

Also, at 17, will she actually use the features, or is simply chit chat, msging, IG, then any <10k baht phone would do.

Don't need 35k baht worth of features, if 10k baht phone will do.

This poster is right.

She wants a 35k iPhone as status symbol, and your wife supports it because status symbols are important for most Thais. Did your wife already ask you for a new car?

If your daughter takes reasonable care of her things, has an understanding that 35k is quite a bit of money, and you can afford it, then you can of course buy her the status symbol.

If any of these points doesn't apply, you could tell her that you can buy her a cheaper phone (a 10k Android phone is perfectly fine), or she can find a job and save money until she can pay for half of the phone and you will pay the other half.

I switched from a one year old 10k Android phone to the newest 50k iPhone... the pictures look better, but that's already the biggest advantage that I noticed.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If your daughter takes reasonable care of her things, has an understanding that 35k is quite a bit of money, and you can afford it, then you can of course buy her the status symbol.

She broke the screens on her other phones.

4 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Two things to be grateful for: Only one child wanting an iPhone and she managed to get to 17 before asking for one.

This is not the first time she has asked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

She broke the screens on her other phones.

I think you know the answer by now. You admit its a status symbol to your wife and herself. You now say she has broken the screens plural of other phones. 10,000 baht gets her a new Samsung A 73, hopefully she will love it. 

Ask her why she prefers Apples IOS to  an Android operating system and see what kind of answer you get.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've told my wife and kids that I will never buy anything Apple. Mostly because none of the current tech in the house (and there is plenty) is Apple and I don't like their ecosystem..

I've bought them all decent Samsung phones of a quality that matches their ages (anything from 8k to 35k) and the son got a 30k PC for Christmas, which he knows will also be his birthday present.

Your cash, do whatever you will. For someone of that age I'd probably tie it to an achievement though, as some others have suggested.

• Thanks 1

Is she your daughter or step daughter? how old are you? 

She wants an iPhone at 17, that’s pretty reasonable, at 17 you’re off to university and a smartphone helps a lot with school.

probably doesn’t need one but it sure would make her life easier. It’s not 1990’s everything is technology these days. 

• Like 1