excessive requirements and charges for renewal of road tax on older car

elena edwards

I'm being charged 40,000 baht for a supposedly required full repaint of my older car in order to renew its road tax. Strange, I thought the tax was connected with exhaust emissions and have never had this issue on 15 years' past tax renewals. Mechanically, the car is fine and regularly serviced by an affordable and very competent local guy, but the roof has been sun-bleached, there are two very small rust areas, two small scratches and some very minor fade on the front o f the bonnet and the bumpers need repainting.

When I inquired several years ago, I was quoted 10,000 for a complete respray as I wanted to change the color - apparently not allowed - now it's 40,000 for just the above. I live in Sannameng - Sansai, and the local car tax guy has never made the above an issue before. Don't know where to go from here - first time a local has attempted an obvious overcharge......now I'm scared to use the car, even for essential journeys into town. 

5 hours ago, elena edwards said:

I'm being charged 40,000 baht for a supposedly required full repaint of my older car in order to renew its road tax.

never heard of any painting requirements for renewal of road tax

it just does not sound right

5 hours ago, elena edwards said:

the local car tax guy

exactly who is that, where does he work, like what office or company

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elena edwards said:

I live in Sannameng - Sansai, and the local car tax guy has never made the above an issue before. Don't know where to go from here - first time a local has attempted an obvious overcharge......now I'm scared to use the car, even for essential journeys into town. 

Take it to a different testing place. 

I use this one in SanSai ........... and my pickup is a total rusty junk heap.

https://goo.gl/maps/SN9qAhLhPfXr6DyAA

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pay the tax online:

https://eservice.dlt.go.th/esvapp/login.jsf

You will need to register before you can pay, and since the website is only in Thai, you may need somebody to help you.

The car must pass the technical inspection beforehand, and that can be done in many places. If the car is technically OK (brakes, suspension, lights, emissions), but the inspectors in the first place will not pass it unless you repaint it, try somewhere else.

Alternatively ask the person, who services the car for you, to take it through the inspection.

Edited by Pdib

Take it to another they are dime a dozen!  A buddy years back took his vehicle they said his tires stuck out a bit too much that prior will need to get a whole new set of rims and tires. I went outside took a look said I'll be back in half hour have my coffee and breakfast ready ordered off the menu.

Half hour later back pick up tomorrow after 4:00pm.

As said by many, I also have an old car, with very faded cracking heat damaged color, rust everywhere, never a problem. Note if you change the color then you have 7 days, to register that in the book. Also one time at the transport office which I now NEVER use, took the old NV but I'd taken off, the carboy type cover off the back, they insisted even that had to be changed in the book before they would pass it, that is so crazy as I tried to point out to them, sometimes I want it on. :crazy:. so in theory every time I'd want to use i, then I'd have to change it again! That ain't going to happen ever. Hoping the cops will never pick up on it. :coffee1: 

• Like 1

Last Year I Took my 2001 4x4 to the Test Station 7 The Mechanic ( Sic ) Said No Can Pass You have a String of Coloured lights on the front grill & That is NOT Allowed now ( He Actually said " The Army are in Control of the Country Now 555 " So went to my friends Car Wash & had them disconnected took vehicle back the next day & Hey Presto It Passed with flying COLOURS ( No Pun Intended )....

• Like 1

OP A friend had a white truck (New) Ranger had it raised, black look like mud wrap. The next tax registration he was denied because more than 50% of truck was black. Didn’t here how it worked

out he (his wife) took took it to province in south where he bought it. 

China has the same restrictions and you have to get color change approved first. China takes it one 

step further … the car registration book has registration and picture of your car.

Probably can get a shop to help you for a couple 1,000 baht… try where you buy insurance you’ve already got a relationship. 

please post for everyone to see how it turned out Incase they face the same dilemma…

I was told by one test centre they could not test the car as it had dim blue LEDs in the front skirt, they had been there since new and they had tested the car every required  year in its 14 year life.  I went down the road to another test centre, passed without problem.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 6:06 PM, DJ54 said:

OP A friend had a white truck (New) Ranger had it raised, black look like mud wrap. The next tax registration he was denied because more than 50% of truck was black. Didn’t here how it worked

out he (his wife) took took it to province in south where he bought it. 

China has the same restrictions and you have to get color change approved first. China takes it one 

step further … the car registration book has registration and picture of your car.

Probably can get a shop to help you for a couple 1,000 baht… try where you buy insurance you’ve already got a relationship. 

please post for everyone to see how it turned out Incase they face the same dilemma…

I had a pickup with the bonnet and roof wrapped.

Renewal denied, missus had a few words with the inspectors and they mumbled something about only a certain percentage of the vehicle can be a different colour.

Removed the roof wrap...... renewal ok.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:38 PM, Dellboy218 said:

I was told by one test centre they could not test the car as it had dim blue LEDs in the front skirt, they had been there since new and they had tested the car every required  year in its 14 year life.  I went down the road to another test centre, passed without problem.

Much the SAME as me M8,( See My Post Above ) Mine had PASSED For The Previous 17 / 18 Years Too....