List of foreigners that has become Thai citizens

Eaglekott

10 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I have a picture from another guy that has become a Thai Citizen last year, and his Thai ID starts with 3.

His pink ID starts with 6, don't know if they are related somehow.

3 - Thai nationals or foreign nationals with identification cards who were born and whose names were included in a house registration book before 1 January 1984

6 - Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand temporarily and illegal migrants

7 hours ago, radiochaser said:

You mean, you only need an income of 40,000 baht, each month?  That's it?  That small amount????
Does it matter where that income is from, if legal??

Legal only with Thai tax payment receipts, have to work for a Thai company.

Hold Work Permit for 3 yrs before applying.

Married to a Thai lady + have  child/ children

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

You do not have to have children. I recently received Thai citizenship using marriage to a Thai citizen and we do not have any children.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJoy said:

I have retired, have several sources of legal income, with more than the B40,000 requirement.  My income, I believe, is eligible to be received in Thailand tax free. 
Married to a Thai woman here in the U.S.
I don't think I can get a work permit though, being over 70.  
I have medical insurance that covers me in Thailand. 
Guess I am out of luck.  LOL

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, DrJoy said:

As I understand it is a point based system,

You get points for being:

1, Married to a Thai citizen

2, Have kid/s that is Thai

3, Speak Thai

4, Read Thai

5, Sing National Anthem

6, Sing Royal Anthem

7, Donated money for charity, and not only once for the application

8, Social status

9, Reputation of good behavior.

Must also have:

Been in Thailand for at least 3 years on a unbroken extension of stay. Not reapply in another country. Maybe get more points for more years.

Must have income and payed taxes in Thailand. (I think pension can count if they are reported to Revenue department)

With this if you score good on 1,2, 5,6,7,8,9 you do not need to Speak or read Thai.

A friend of mine he has no Thai Wife, and can not read Thai, But have Kids in Thailand, speak and understand decent Thai, he had to be able to sing both Anthems to collect points enough.

Please note this is how I have understood it, It might be wrong, and I might have missed some things.

I consider to apply, but must fill in gaps in the point list or probably just throw money away.

14 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

That can be achieved via Permanent residency

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the PR has to be renewed on a regular basis, you still need to have re-entry stamps in your passport if travel abroad. You also need a Work-permit if you want to work, and mant types of work is still restricted to Thais. Also as I understand it is almost as hard to get as Citizenship. Upside I believe is that if you have had a PR for some time, It makes it easier to get a Citizenship. Especially if you are retired and do not work.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:20 PM, ezzra said:

Other than get rid of the visa and permit hassles there is absolutely no gains in having a Thai nationality,

That of course depends on the citizenship you now hold.. If you were from Haiti or ???

On 2/27/2023 at 5:17 PM, Neeranam said:

Also, I could become a member at Royal Hua Hin, near my house, foreigners can't join. 

This is only one benefit, they're are many more, like being able to own land. 

For a 5,000 baht fee, totally worth getting Thai citizenship. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. 

I agree.

I have held PR for 5 years and wondered about citizenship. Is it almost automatic after a certain period of time holding PR? And is it still possible to retain my UK citizenship (which i would never give up)?

On 2/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, Eaglekott said:

No Im not in the list. It's a guy I know that claims he got Thai Citizenship already, but I believe he is not really truth ful. I wanted to verify if I can make sure he does not lie to me by finding his and or his brothers name there. 

Ask to see his Thai ID card.  If he is really a Thai citizen, he should be proud to show it to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Kayahammer said:

I agree.

I have held PR for 5 years and wondered about citizenship. Is it almost automatic after a certain period of time holding PR? And is it still possible to retain my UK citizenship (which i would never give up)?

You must do a complete new application, I guess if you have a PR you probably has all the qualifications, and if you are allowed by UK to have dual citizenship you can keep it.

3 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Ask to see his Thai ID card.  If he is really a Thai citizen, he should be proud to show it to you.

I have a meeting with him later today, and I asked to see his ID or Thai passport if he want me to do business with him. I'll put a post here how it goes.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:17 AM, Neeranam said:

Also, I could become a member at Royal Hua Hin, near my house, foreigners can't join. 

This is only one benefit, they're are many more, like being able to own land. 

For a 5,000 baht fee, totally worth getting Thai citizenship. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. 

Whats the attraction to being a member at Royal Hua Hin? bit of goat track from what i remember, although used to do a good sunset deal for 1,200 and generally get in 16 holes.

Much easier way would be do identify as women in the UK and get you passport changed this can be done pretty much with a doctors note. Travel to Thailand and then meet a ladyboy that has aspirations to learn fashion in London, marry him and then i believe you have access to residency by marrying a Thai man and he can then probably travel to the UK alot easier now that hes married to a UK women. Everyone;s happy, can see too many pitfalls to this plan (Could even charge the ladyboy for the privilege of getting access to the UK.

Edited by ed strong

On 2/27/2023 at 5:33 PM, bang saen guy said:

And a chance to serve in the Thai military. 

Naturalised Thais are not eligible for military conscription.  Of this is only of interest to children who get naturalisted along with parents, as hardly any are naturalised in their own right under 30. Also you cannot be promoted above private in the military, unless your father was Thai through birth which seems somewhat harsh as well as gender discriminatory, as it doesn't apply to those with foreign mothers. This doesn't apply to the police.   But anyone another reason for look krung boys with foreign born fathers to avoid conscription.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Do you know what the word permanent means? 

Yes. You can loose your Permanent status very easily. Leave Thailand more then one year you loose it. And I believe you need re-entry in your passport if you travel. 

from a agent that help you with PR:

Your alien book will be your equivalent of the Thai National ID card and it must be re-registered every year.

Your Thai Permanent Residence Visa never expires unless it is revoked, but if you leave and re-enter Thailand without a re-entry permit your visa may be revoked.”

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Yes. You can loose your Permanent status very easily. Leave Thailand more then one year you loose it. And I believe you need re-entry in your passport if you travel. 

from a agent that help you with PR:

Your alien book will be your equivalent of the Thai National ID card and it must be re-registered every year.

Your Thai Permanent Residence Visa never expires unless it is revoked, but if you leave and re-enter Thailand without a re-entry permit your visa may be revoked.”

That's not entirely true.

Red Alien registration needs to be re-registered every OR 5 years. It is a 5 min affair at your local police station. Doesn't make you lose PR if you're late, though.

You can lose PR if you leave country and either don't apply for or have non-quota immigrant visa (1 year validity) expire before you return, so trips cannot last over 1 year. Another way is if you're convicted of crime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ed strong said:

Whats the attraction to being a member at Royal Hua Hin? bit of goat track from what i remember, although used to do a good sunset deal for 1,200 and generally get in 16 holes.

I prefer playing Tannarat after 3 pm, 9 holes 350 baht, instead of 450 for foreigners.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Kayahammer said:

I agree.

It is not automatic. You need to apply for citizenship. Procedure is similar to PR process, except singing the 2 anthems in front of a bunch of uniforms at the end, and different channels of approvals. It's much cheaper than PR though (10k adult/5k child vs 200k) and apparently takes about the same time. Thai language test is a bit more advanced than for PR.

As for original citizenship... you need to bring a letter, certified by your (UK) foreign office, stating you would give up British citizenship if Thai citizenship is granted. That letter has basically no legal value, but you may be threatened with revoking your Thai citizenship on passport renewals, though I haven't seen any reports of anyone having been rejected renewal for it. Some countries in Europe allow dual citizenship but only as long as both are within EU. Don't know if UK has any similar restrictions.

Edited by tomazbodner
part of text disappeared on saving

On 2/27/2023 at 1:20 PM, ezzra said:

Other than get rid of the visa and permit hassles there is absolutely no gains in having a Thai nationality,

You get to say "as a Thai" on Thai Visa Forum and pretend having it makes you better than everyone else.  What more could you want?

• Haha 2