Tasty Russian food ! Brew their own Beer too !

Social Media

Yeah I know the place. 

I've had delivery from them several times. (Not sure if they're still on the apps now.)

I found the standards like borscht serviceable but nothing to write home to Kyiv about (borscht is Ukrainian). 

But I haven't had fried pelmeni before and the beer promotion does sound good. 

Actually I haven't had a really great bowl of borscht EVER in Pattaya. 

Years ago there was a dive off Walking Street that was better than average, but I'm still searching. 

I've been watching a youtube channel by a Russian dodger/refugee (Sanctioned Ivan) food lover in Alanya, Turkiye which also has lots of Russians and for some reason the Russian food there appears to overall be at a higher level than in Pattaya. I don't know why. 

On this topic I've noticed the Ukrainian Restaurant (most customers are Russian not sure about the owners) in Jomtien has reopened. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my experience Russians abroad are more open to many different kinds of international foods (especially if there is a Russian menu). You'll see many in Indian restaurants. Contrast to Chinese and Indians whose tastes in general are more narrow.

Maybe there is better Russian food in Alanya Turkiye because they don't have the wide international variety of food we have here except Turkish. 

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I know the place. 

I've had delivery from them several times. (Not sure if they're still on the apps now.)

I found the standards like borscht serviceable but nothing to write home to Kyiv about (borscht is Ukrainian). 

But I haven't had fried pelmeni before and the beer promotion does sound good. 

Actually I haven't had a really great bowl of borscht EVER in Pattaya. 

Years ago there was a dive off Walking Street that was better than average, but I'm still searching. 

I've been watching a youtube channel by a Russian dodger/refugee (Sanctioned Ivan) food lover in Alanya, Turkiye which also has lots of Russians and for some reason the Russian food there appears to overall be at a higher level than in Pattaya. I don't know why. 

On this topic I've noticed the Ukrainian Restaurant (most customers are Russian not sure about the owners) in Jomtien has reopened. 

Are you referring to Odessa? There’s another in Jomtien Beach Condo if I remember correctly. 

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

Are you referring to Odessa? There’s another in Jomtien Beach Condo if I remember correctly. 

Yes Odessa.

There's a Ukrainian restaurant now at that condo?

I only remember Russian ones before but I haven't been there for a while. 

Now I'm really wondering why in my view you can't get GREAT borscht in Pattaya. Could it be the quality of the beets? Are they expensive and don't use enough?

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes Odessa.

There's a Ukrainian restaurant now at that condo?

I only remember Russian ones before but I haven't been there for a while. 

Now I'm really wondering why in my view you can't get GREAT borscht in Pattaya. Could it be the quality of the beets? Are they expensive and don't use enough?

Perhaps my recollection is flawed, but I had the idea that the one there was Ukrainian. Perhaps it was just that they served some Ukrainian dishes. I would walk past on the way to Expat Foods to pick up their reasonably potato salad amongst other bits and pieces. 

Never tasted Russian beer w alcohol but Baltica 0,0% is very good!

PS. Won't buy nor drink anything Russian now on.

"The Baltika #0 is exported to over 30 countries of the world, including the USA, Japan, New Zealand, Germany, and Ireland. This brand has been repeatedly declared the best alcohol-free beer at Russian and international professional contests."

4 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Never tasted Russian beer w alcohol but Baltica 0,0% is very good!

PS. Won't buy nor drink anything Russian now on.

"The Baltika #0 is exported to over 30 countries of the world, including the USA, Japan, New Zealand, Germany, and Ireland. This brand has been repeatedly declared the best alcohol-free beer at Russian and international professional contests."

Well I get boycotting Russian exports now but I somehow doubt buying pelmeni at a Pattaya restaurant is going to fund Putin's genocidal war of choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Brewfest at Avenue Mall on Pattaya 2nd Rd is a similar operation, also Russian owned, I believe. They brew their own ale and have borchst on the menu.

Borscht is not hard to find here.

Really good borscht is.

Some people might think that doesn’t exist but I've had it but not in Thailand.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, still kicking said:

correct me I always thought brewing your own beer is illegal in Thailand

If I remember correctly it is possible to get a license to brew beer for consumption in-premises only. But I thought that the volumes have to be pretty high.

The bar next to the Hilton in Hua Hun brew and sell their own beer on site, too.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

There is a good Russian restaurant on the main road not far from Big C

There used to be one along from Makro. Troika, I believe it  was  called. Might still even be open  as I saw people entering when I drove past a few weeks ago.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In my experience Russians abroad are more open to many different kinds of international foods (especially if there is a Russian menu). You'll see many in Indian restaurants. Contrast to Chinese and Indians whose tastes in general are more narrow.

Maybe there is better Russian food in Alanya Turkiye because they don't have the wide international variety of food we have here except Turkish. 

I one read that there are three great cuisines in the world: French, Chinese and Turkish.

Don't know much about Turkish cuisine, but what I have tried (and I am not talking those Doner Kebab things) was very good.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I one read that there are three great cuisines in the world: French, Chinese and Turkish.

Don't know much about Turkish cuisine, but what I have tried (and I am not talking those Doner Kebab things) was very good.

Well I've been there and didn't find it particularly thrilling. Also they use margarine in many dishes which I find both unhealthy and disgusting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

There used to be one along from Makro. Troika, I believe it  was  called. Might still even be open  as I saw people entering when I drove past a few weeks ago.

Yeah that's basically the one I mean. Good Borscht from there.