British personal trainer needs £250,000 to get home from Thailand after falling from third-storey balcony and suffering horrific injuries while on holiday

webfact

8 hours ago, pomchop said:

Insurance companies are experts in wiggling out of claims as there are always lots of loopholes in the fine print that a gaggle of lawyers wrote and most people never read and don't have their own gaggle of lawyers to go through it all. 

It's what they do and one reason they make massive profit

No the reason that the insurance companies make profits is because they do pay, on average, 90% of all claims...that is why they are so profitable, if they didn't pay out most claims they'd have no new policy holders confident enough to take out new policies to give them that profit.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
9 hours ago, itsari said:

The insurer would have to prove that alcohol was the root cause of the accident .  

Just the fact the insured has been drinking is not enough for the insurer to deny the claim .

That would be dependent on the small print in the policy.

That would actually be dependent on the policy conditions, there is no "small print" in UK insurance policies.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jimn said:

The chances are that the insurance only covers treatment at a local government hospital and not an expensive private hospital like the Bangkok Phuket hospital. This is common with travel insurance.

That is the biggest issue, and a lot of tourists do not understand it.  I use BNH and while my VAC covers most of my treatment, is does not fully cover meds as they only reimburse Ontario rates.  

My medical coverage, not VAC covered, is an issue as there are cost limitations as well as things they will not cover.  Other nurse services are one of them

In Canada there is no such charge, so they do not reimburse it even though we all know that the charge is included in the doctor's actual fee.

Question 1

Pardon my ignorance BUT is med evac flights covered in these plans and if so is there not usually a max amount.

Question 2 

Would it not be cheaper if covered to get the surgery done here instead of trying to fly back and then get the UK Government to pay.  

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No the reason that the insurance companies make profits is because they do pay, on average, 90% of all claims...that is why they are so profitable, if they didn't pay out most claims they'd have no new policy holders confident enough to take out new policies to give them that profit.

Insurance companies assess the risk (the odds) on each policy they underwrite. And like a bookmaker taking a bet, they will lay off the bet with other underwriters, so their exposure is minimised if faced with a large claim. The higher the risk, the higher the premium. Probably only a small percentage of people ever actually make a claim. That's where they make their money. If they didn't do their work properly (due diligence on an applicant for instance), they'd be out of business very quickly. And you'd find yourself uninsured.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jerno said:

What is it with Insurance companies?  Very simple: They are there to pay out the fewest possible claims for the least amount of payout

What is it with Thaivisa posters?  Very simple, you're wrong when it comes to legitimate claims. they are businesses, not charities and all policy holders agree to the terms of the policy they bought and read.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, James105 said:

A very, very quick google search suggest that this cost should be about £65,000 on a learjet.

https://www.iasmedical.com/asia/air-ambulance-thailand/#:~:text=Our medical transportation services from,The number of medics required

Not surprised the insurance are questioning this.   

That is the starting price...

Our medical transportation services from Bangkok to the UK start from £65,000

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

That is the biggest issue, and a lot of tourists do not understand it.  I use BNH and while my VAC covers most of my treatment, is does not fully cover meds as they only reimburse Ontario rates.  

My medical coverage, not VAC covered, is an issue as there are cost limitations as well as things they will not cover.  Other nurse services are one of them

In Canada there is no such charge, so they do not reimburse it even though we all know that the charge is included in the doctor's actual fee.

Question 1

Pardon my ignorance BUT is med evac flights covered in these plans and if so is there not usually a max amount.

Question 2 

Would it not be cheaper if covered to get the surgery done here instead of trying to fly back and then get the UK Government to pay.  

I think it's the only hope they've got. The colossal funds for flying him home are surely far in excess of hip replacement surgery, or whatever it is that is required. One of my main reasons for getting myself insured was to cover exactly that, from eg slipping over in the bathroom. Course, he's come crashing down from 10m (?) up, so his injuries must be a lot more serious. But he looks pretty ok. Er, maybe that's not a fully qualified medical opinion, but I still agree with you. Surely the surgery is available here at a much less costly rate than the evac amount? I was quoted minimum 300k THB for hip replacement. £8000. Up to maybe 1.5m THB, £35k. So allow for extras, £50k in total? They've had £16k at time of going to press in the UK.

A rather late afterthought. Is the 3rd floor as in Thai 3rd floor, which would be the 2nd floor in UK. So he might have fallen from the floor of the 2nd floor, about 6m? Ouch!

Edited by bradiston

Having travelled a lot in my life, always with comprehensive travel insurance, I am appalled by the thought that having a few drinks on holiday could invalidate your claim.  It makes you question whether all those policies were worth the paper they were printed on.  I hope they end up doing the decent thing and give this poor man the help and support he now needs.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

They need to name the Insurance Company and the Insurance Company needs to explain what is going on?

The insurer does not need to explain to anyone except the policy holder what is going on and, presumably, he has a reason for not naming the company that could be working on a solution for him.

One reason for not publicly naming the insurer could be that the policy holder could have voided his policy and does not want the backlash from the insurance company if he makes accusations when he was in the wrong.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is the starting price...

Our medical transportation services from Bangkok to the UK start from £65,000

Sure, the doctor is an extra £700 per day, £350 per nurse according to that link so they will have to be added on.   I don't think there is enough space on a learjet to fill it up with the medical personnel to get it to even £100,000 yet alone £250K. 

The expensive part is the private jet which includes the pilot.   Unless they are hiring Salt Bae to provide the in flight meals of course then maybe it could go up to as much as £100,000 with such an expensive food menu.    

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jimn said:

The chances are that the insurance only covers treatment at a local government hospital and not an expensive private hospital like the Bangkok Phuket hospital. This is common with travel insurance.

"The chances are that the insurance only covers treatment at a local government hospital ... This is common...".

No, that is not common.  What is common is a limit on the insurer's liability.

9 minutes ago, gbswales said:

Having travelled a lot in my life, always with comprehensive travel insurance, I am appalled by the thought that having a few drinks on holiday could invalidate your claim.

The alcohol exclusion is often worded with reference to the legal blood level limit under local laws .  Or else, it is worded in terms of the accident having been due to intoxication.

Not the case that simply having had a "few drinks" invalidates a claim.  It would have no effect at all on a claim for illness. For accidents, would depend on how high your blood alcohol level was (i.e. if you met the legal definition for intoxication) or if the accident can be considered due to intoxication.

In practice, insurers tend to check for this only for injuries of a type where alcohol is often to blame. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

Sure, the doctor is an extra £700 per day, £350 per nurse according to that link so they will have to be added on.   I don't think there is enough space on a learjet to fill it up with the medical personnel to get it to even £100,000 yet alone £250K. 

The expensive part is the private jet which includes the pilot.   Unless they are hiring Salt Bae to provide the in flight meals of course then maybe it could go up to as much as £100,000 with such an expensive food menu.    

No reason to hire a private jet. This sort of medical evacuation is done on commercial aircraft all the time.  While still not cheap, it is far, far less than a private plane charter.

There may well be a medivac company trying to sell the family on chartering a plane, but if so they should look elsewhere (including DIY by contacting airlines).

Contact airlines, explain the requorements (i.e. stretcher as he cannot sit up) and overall condition etc (e.g: conscious, not on  a ventilar, etc etc. Will likely be told have to pay for a full row of seats (and costs of their removal to accomodate a stretcher) and medical personnel accompaniment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The insurer does not need to explain to anyone except the policy holder what is going on and, presumably, he has a reason for not naming the company that could be working on a solution for him.

One reason for not publicly naming the insurer could be that the policy holder could have voided his policy and does not want the backlash from the insurance company if he makes accusations when he was in the wrong.

This is from a UK provider website notice the wording up to

Up to £10 million for emergency medical expenses outside the UK:

• Emergency medical treatment
  • Dental treatment for emergency pain relief
  • Emergency medical repatriation to the UK

The challenge is what is covered and how much.  I am sure they do not have the top plan

I am also sure that UK insurers and Travel agents are getting tired of these articles showing up in the newspaper.

5 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I have a friend who was hospitalized at Bangkok hospital Phuket last year. The whole thing, including flying him out to Bangkok, cost about $20k. Sure it's expensive, but it's not 250k.

There's a big difference between a flight from Phuket to Bangkok and a repatriation flight for a completely immobilised patient from Thailand to the UK!

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just because you'd like to doubt it doesn't mean that it cannot be established.

Anyone admitted that may need blood is tested so that they can have the blood on hand.  Thai hospitals especially the top tier do that immediately if for not other reason than to bill it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James105 said:

A very, very quick google search suggest that this cost should be about £65,000 on a learjet.

https://www.iasmedical.com/asia/air-ambulance-thailand/#:~:text=Our medical transportation services from,The number of medics required

Not surprised the insurance are questioning this.   

With the aircraft they use, at least 1 and much more likely 2 fuel stops would be required for any Thailand > UK flight. I think I'd prefer the direct commercial flight with a row of seats removed or, even better, not need a flight at all.