I pay for something and the cashier hands the change back to my wife?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thinking too mut, IMO.

I'm pretty sure that paying for things is normally a Thai wives department - cultural perhaps.

Yes, my GF pays the bill and it is I who the cashier gives the change back to...no I am not kidding.  Must be because I am a handsum man.

• Haha 1

Drives me crazy, wife usually tells them to give to me.

Worst is when I am driving and I stop to ask directions, or security guard looks in the driver's window, straight through me to my wife. Actually it was more annoying when it was to my kids when they were young. Often don't get menus. Recently bought a m/c and the woman selling wouldn't answer my questions, so walked straight out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

It's strange but true. I assumed it was because in Thailand many working class guys hand over their salary to their wives who pay for everything?  

Interested to know if Thai men have the same issue. Maybe it's not a racial thing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Drives me crazy, wife usually tells them to give to me.

Worst is when I am driving and I stop to ask directions, or security guard looks in the driver's window, straight through me to my wife. Actually it was more annoying when it was to my kids when they were young. Often don't get menus. Recently bought a m/c and the woman selling wouldn't answer my questions, so walked straight out. 

Jai yen, jai yen, is it really a big deal?

Never a problem for me as I expected my wife to get directions, pay in restos and shops, etc, as what else was she worth marrying for. That was her department- mine was giving the cash over.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm, apparently some people should never leave home as not mentally capable of accepting that Thailand isn't the same as wherever they came from.

That guy's wife lost a heap of "face" for his ignorance.

Yup, and she was giving him some severe ear bending as they walked out, pretty sure the guy thought he was just humiliating the young cashier and didn’t bargain on the wrath of a Thai wife losing face.

I almost felt sorry for the guy ……. almost !

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Jai yen, jai yen, is it really a big deal?

Never a problem for me as I expected my wife to get directions, pay in restos and shops, etc, as what else was she worth marrying for. That was her department- mine was giving the cash over.

Often, I put things into perspective by imagining the same situation in the UK, but the Scots woman is with a 10 foot tall guy in a Sheik outfit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

cultural perhaps

Yes. It's deeply ingrained that farangs don't count. I've several times been walking into a shopping mall and when the 'pretties' handing out a free sample of something see me as a farang approaching their arm is pulled back. Pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

Good to know. I get it but it's a bit bloody rude.

Culture aside , i think its rude too

The transaction is between two people, not the third 

I rememebr when i used to be a waiter, the wife/gf who was asian, was a complete whining bitch about everything.

Even requested the bill, i placed it in front of her and she stared at me like "why the hell did you put this in front of me

• Like 2

I was going to bring this up months ago on here. I was telling her that since we'd been together nobody talks to me anymore. When I travel alone, all the tuktuk and taxi and bus drivers and waiters and hotel staff all speak to me and even if they dont speak good English we still manage to have a good chat and a laugh but whenever i was with her, they all claimed to not know any English and I was totally ignored. Gotta be honest, it made my time in Thailand a lot less enjoyable.  

The immigration police came to the house after I'd applied for my marriage extension, and despite me being the only reason they were there they completely ignored me. I was invisible.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Either go out alone more or learn to accept it.

Too many farangs think they are important to Thais they don't know, but we ain't. IMO farangs come below soi dogs, so why would they want to talk to us if they have a Thai to talk to instead?

In your opinion farangs come below soi dogs. I guess from that you must be Thai, not a soi dog farang. Nice. Now say that to a farang's face and see what happens. Of course you wouldn't as you're just another 'keyboard warrior'. Pathetic. If you aren't Thai, I assume you consider yourself also lower than a soi dog.

As you are clearly unaware of politeness and protocol, it has nothing to do with farangs thinking they are more important than Thais, but everything to do with what happens in the real world where if you give a person money then they return the change to you and not someone else.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was going to bring this up months ago on here. I was telling her that since we'd been together nobody talks to me anymore. When I travel alone, all the tuktuk and taxi and bus drivers and waiters and hotel staff all speak to me and even if they dont speak good English we still manage to have a good chat and a laugh but whenever i was with her, they all claimed to not know any English and I was totally ignored. Gotta be honest, it made my time in Thailand a lot less enjoyable.  

do you speak thai ?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It also happens to me from time to time. I suspect that Thai prefer to interact with other Thais because they use the same language, body language, etc. It's more familiar to them and more comfortable. 

No problem.

This is the answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Whatever the faults of my Thai wife, she earned her own money, paid for her own diesel ( unless it was on a trip with me that I wanted to go on ), etc. She even paid for her own booze at a restaurant. I paid for the food and my drink, but I refused to pay for her alcohol.

She worked really hard too, so no complaints about expecting me to pay for everything. Her family were the ones that expected me to give them money for nothing.

I recognize  'Her family were the ones that expected me to give them money for nothing', that happened to me too.

Let me guess, the lady is from Isarn.

She did, every time. They both looked at me like I was weird for expecting 500 back from 1000.

Gotta manage your money a tad better.

Keep a supply of smallish notes with you instead of the 1,000.????????

4 hours ago, grain said:

Happened to me countless times too, it's the Thai Rak Thai thing. I noticed it immediately when I arrive at the airport 2 weeks ago, I asked a question to a woman at a counter in the airport, my Thai wife was standing behind me, the woman at the counter totally ignored me and began talking to my wife. 

Maybe the counter girl fancied your wife?????????