Where should/will an agent register me?

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I am aware that immigration officials will generally tell you to get extensions, re-entry permits and so on from the immigration office in the province where you are registered. However, I have seen cases where this was not enforced, and was not aware that it was actually illegal. Can you point at the Thai law that mandates this customary practice.

It's in Thai, when have you seen a case where it was not enforced and not via and agent? 

• You must provide the correct address to Thai Immigration when you are in Thailand. The address at which you reside must be the same as the one you gave to immigration. Failing to do this will result in a penalty to a maximum of 5,000 Baht or 200 Baht a day for everyday until your notification has been corrected.
Edited by proton

3 hours ago, proton said:

It's in Thai, when have you seen a case where it was not enforced and not via and agent? 

Well, for instance, while this customary rule is usually enforced, immigration at international airports and a handful of immigration offices near land crossings will issue you re-entry permits if you can show you will be leaving Thailand immediately thereafter. For extensions, without the assistance of an agent, it is certainly very rare. However, I have not seen anything in Thai law that makes it illegal. I am not aware of any case where this was prosecuted, even when no effort had been made to change residence before the extension. That is not to say such a law does not exist but, until demonstrated otherwise, I am still inclined to believe that it is a matter of custom not law.

21 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Nothing to worry about. Despite popular opinion, using an agent does not commit you to use their (or any other agents service in future).

well it depends,  as ur than sometimes stuck using the agent to do ur 90 day report (for 500 baht) as to get the extension they file a tm30 for that immigration office so than you can go to ur local immigration an filling  a new tm 30 so ur registered there to do ur 90 day report ( 1st one needs be done in person) than you can do online
thats what i did

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 5:48 PM, The Fugitive said:

If you can't resolve this you could try going to the IO in the area you're actually living in and explain. If they're anything like my own IO they will jump at the chance to undercut your agents fees.

The IO in Buriram is so expensive that many, who use an agent around here, will travel the 6 hour journey, one way, every 3 months to Pattaya to do their 90 day report.

In fact I believe Buriram IO act as their own agency.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 5:48 PM, The Fugitive said:

Then your agent will either have to submit your 90 day reports upon your behalf or supply you with the address they've given to the IO so that you can do them. If you can't resolve this you could try going to the IO in the area you're actually living in and explain. If they're anything like my own IO they will jump at the chance to undercut your agents fees.

What if they are not corrupt and wont?

• Like 1

So, what happens if a foreigner uses an agent that also provides the funds to be in the foreigner's Thai bank account for 10 minutes while their bank book is updated, then the agent gets them annual extensions in different provinces each year (which aren't the province the foreigner lives in), then one year the foreigner decides to do it all themselves in their own province.

Are the IO not bothered that there have been numerous annual extensions in various different provinces, while any interview with the locals will be clear that you have lived in their province the entire time?

Is it okay to simply say that you used an agent to get the extensions? Or what would one do?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So, what happens if a foreigner uses an agent that also provides the funds to be in the foreigner's Thai bank account for 10 minutes while their bank book is updated, then the agent gets them annual extensions in different provinces each year (which aren't the province the foreigner lives in), then one year the foreigner decides to do it all themselves in their own province.

Are the IO not bothered that there have been numerous annual extensions in various different provinces, while any interview with the locals will be clear that you have lived in their province the entire time?

Is it okay to simply say that you used an agent to get the extensions? Or what would one do?

In my experience my IO appeared to know I'd used a Visa Agent previously but was more than happy to deal with me 'direct' in future. That's what I've done since.

• Like 1

I guess it comes down to answering an IO question of 'Why are your last 4 annual extensions all in different provinces? Were you living in them?'

Lying and saying yes, is probably not a good idea, especially when it's obvious that you have been living in the home that you own with your family.

So, that leaves answering 'I used an agent and while living here, they got me extensions in other provinces every year'.

What is the worst thing they can do to reply to that answer? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I guess it comes down to answering an IO question of 'Why are your last 4 annual extensions all in different provinces? Were you living in them?'

Lying and saying yes, is probably not a good idea, especially when it's obvious that you have been living in the home that you own with your family.

So, that leaves answering 'I used an agent and while living here, they got me extensions in other provinces every year'.

What is the worst thing they can do to reply to that answer? 

Personally, I've never been grilled by an IO. They obviously know Visa Agents exist and what they do. Wanting to change your method of obtaining future extensions seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  

28 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Refuse your extension application

On what grounds? 

tell you to leave the country and come back on a 'clean" visa?

Would be a bit pointless. All one would do is go back to the agent and get your extension that way. ????

Edited by JeffersLos

On 3/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, FritsSikkink said:

"When using an agent to fund the Non O retirement"

You mean they bribe them which is illegal.

There is really only one reason to use an agent for something as straightforward as a retirement visa which only needs to trouble the applicant once a year. Isn't there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is really only one reason to use an agent for something as straightforward as a retirement visa which only needs to trouble the applicant once a year. Isn't there.

No, there's more than one reason but hey, keep believing your lies.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, The Fugitive said:

Visa Exempt Entries and Tourist Visa's are still of some use. Then there's always Angeles City!

Plus, no 800k in the bank requirements, saving you a possible 40k in depreciation, with 5% inflation, in a non interest bearing savings account, and you get your annual UK pension increases. Definitely more fun!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:52 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

The IO in Buriram is so expensive that many, who use an agent around here, will travel the 6 hour journey, one way, every 3 months to Pattaya to do their 90 day report.

In fact I believe Buriram IO act as their own agency.

Would be much easier to ignore filing and pay fine once a year when renewing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:44 PM, trax33 said:

Your post makes me think of another issue that isn't clear to me: if the agent registers me in a different province than the one I'm living in and he does the extensions from that province, but my landlord registers me (of course) at the place I'm actually living in, doesn't that create problems regarding 90 day reporting?

Or does the 90 day reporting then also need to be done by the visa agent from that different province?

No problem with 90day it will be normally excepted and after the first 90days report it can be done online. 

On 3/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, JeffersLos said:

There is no definite answer to that. In most cases, if you can meet the requirements for the most recent extension, then the officials will not care about your immigration history. For retirement extensions, that would mean that you can show correct financial proof for the previous 12 months. There can be immigration officials who decide to make trouble, especially if they can see a benefit to themselves from forcing you back into the clutches of the agents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, JeffersLos said:

The IO will tell the foreigner he needed to maintain correct funds in the account for the full year, so no extension.

He will need to start all over requesting a new non-O visa, OR pay an agent to pay an IO to look the other way again.