Russia could run out of money next year, says oligarch Oleg Deripaska

Scott

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But those other conflicts weren't about absorbing your neighbors. Not about enlarging your nation through conquest.

I dont see why  if someone come and captured the territory, gave people living there citizenship and then started to rebuild what they lost somehow worse then someone came out of nowhere bombed their contry into dust, put a military base near oil fields, put a puppet into government to prevent resistance and then puppet votes in UN how the master tell it but left ordianry people to struggle on their own.  

And in case Moldova and Georgia, Russia did not capture anything. It just helped people living in the territories to separate from the government they did not want to be with like US helps Kurds, like NATO did into Yugoslavia, like UK did with Folklands, and there are many more examples, nothing out of ordinary.

Edited by ArturGorbachev

42 minutes ago, ArturGorbachev said:

I dont see why  if someone come and captured the territory, gave people living there citizenship and then started to rebuild what they lost somehow worse then someone came out of nowhere bombed their contry into dust, put a military base near oil fields, put a puppet into government to prevent resistance and then puppet votes in UN how the master tell it but left ordianry people to struggle on their own.  

And in case Moldova and Georgia, Russia did not capture anything. It just helped people living in the territories to separate from the government they did not want to be with like US helps Kurds, like NATO did into Yugoslavia, like UK did with Folklands, and there are many more examples, nothing out of ordinary.

"I don't see why  if someone come and captured the territory ... "

Despite your false equivalence whataboutism, it is good that most every Ukrainian now understands the horror of Putin's brutal, illegal invasion and destruction of their homeland and killing of innocent people. No, it was not OK for Adolf Hitler and it is not OK for madman Putin.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, ArturGorbachev said:

It was rhetorical question in sarcastic manner, because well USSR attack Poland 1st and because of this etc, classical whatabout.

1. I dont know this period well, never had enough interest in WW2

2. The western and russian interpretation of what happened in 1939 is different. Everyone is blaming each other.

3. While Hitler attacked Poland 1st in 1939, England and France did not anything to help while they had mutual defense pact. Logically Poland should have problems with all these counties, but somehow it is only USSR (30% of it was Ukranian btw) fault.

"I dont know this period well, never had enough interest in WW2"

You should educate yourself.

Britain and France threw Czechoslovakia under the bus by allowing Hitler to annex the Sudetenland, then did nothing after Hitler followed up with full occupation of the country even though France had a defensive alliance with Czechoslovakia.  Proving themselves to be untrustworthy allies was a major reason why Stalin signed an agreement with Nazi Germany that led to the invasion of Poland and the start of World War II in Europe.  Had Hitler not gone on to betray Stalin then Europe might be under the control of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union to this day.

Betrayal has consequences.  The United States, United Kingdom and Russia guaranteed Ukraine's security in exchange for its nuclear weapons in the 1994 Budapest Memorandum.  Russia has already betrayed the agreement.  Letting Russia get away with it would have serious consequences not only for Europe but also in Asia.  China is watching to see how trustworthy an ally the US is.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, candide said:

Running out of money, and maybe also out of people...

Russia’s population nightmare is going to get even worse

A demographic tragedy is unfolding in Russia. Over the past three years the country has lost around 2m more people than it would ordinarily have done, as a result of war, disease and exodus. The life expectancy of Russian males aged 15 fell by almost five years, to the same level as in Haiti. The number of Russians born in April 2022 was no higher than it had been in the months of Hitler’s occupation. And because so many men of fighting age are dead or in exile, women outnumber men by at least 10m.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/03/04/russias-population-nightmare-is-going-to-get-even-worse

Life expectancy the same as the desperately poor failed state of Haiti.  Why do the Russian people put up with this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArturGorbachev said:

But the process of bringing Ukraine into NATO started in 2014 with the coup when somewhat pro-russian Unukovich was displaced by USA to put a candidate that will suit them better (before anyone will say USA has nothing to do with that, Arcenii Yacenuk that become PM of Ukraine after and was behind the Maidan left Ukraine long ago and is now living in Miami).  What we see now is culmination.

You neglected to mention that the Ukraine people and Parliament were pro-western and that the astoundingly corrupt Unukovich caved in to Russian pressure and is now living in Russia. 

Where a former PM lives is not relevant.

Edited by heybruce
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:20 AM, nauseus said:

Sounds like a crock to me, especially of this guy is an energy and metals "tycoon". Russia has been hoarding gold and energy resources are still plentiful. Both will outlast Putin, hopefully.  

I agree. If this guy was publically speaking like this in Russia, he would have been arrested and disappeared by now, either in prison or dead.

10 hours ago, ArturGorbachev said:

Heads of the state use TV, regular citizens use Reddit, the words they say are the same. It is not like conspiracy theory here, they are really proud of their position. Not sure whats your point.

I guess my point is that I wouldn't expect a large state to use phraseology that I mostly heard 50 years ago in the playground. eg: "he made me do it" or "you're not my friend". I also find it somewhat interesting that the self imposed leader of the world's largest nation states that securing borders and the lack of a buffer zone are some of the reasons for invading a neighbour, while at the same time not really hiding the desire to recapture an empire of the past. That kind of sends conflicting messages.

The guy is short in stature but huge in ego. Changing legislation to be able to remain in power, along with the forced oppression of any opposition, or taking power by military force (got to be careful what I say there) is not often a sign of a leader who has his populations' best interests as a core motive.

9 hours ago, ArturGorbachev said:

What makes your argument so obviously suspect is that Russia is not a disinterested party. Putin has made it clear that he wants to restore the old Russian empire. It doesn't really give one much faith in Russian claims given how they held elections in recently captured territory in Ukraine.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, ArturGorbachev said:

I dont want speculate what will happen

All I can say in parting is, the Russians I've met here in Pattaya over the last year or two have been nothing but polite, friendly and thoroughly nice people. It's insane we're locked in this bitter, savage war. Nobody wants it, except for you know who. I'm looking towards complete disengagmenr as the only hope. But with or without Donbas/Crimea, that seems to be the sticking point for both sides. Donbas lies in complete ruins. What a monument to the utter futility of war.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

All I can say in parting is, the Russians I've met here in Pattaya over the last year or two have been nothing but polite, friendly and thoroughly nice people. It's insane we're locked in this bitter, savage war. Nobody wants it, except for you know who. I'm looking towards complete disengagmenr as the only hope. But with or without Donbas/Crimea, that seems to be the sticking point for both sides. Donbas lies in complete ruins. What a monument to the utter futility of war.

I agree with you. I've met lots of Russians in Chiang Mai and they've actually been friendly and polite. Very civilized people. But then, given the large number of expats on site who complain about Thai people's conduct, it shouldn't be surprising that we see  negative comments directed at Russians.

Edited by placeholder

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

I have long and short explanation what happened. The short one people who wanted the war and people who started the war are not the same. And for the long one, it will like an hour for me to type it out, so just think yourself keeping in mind the short one, like someone said "I am not smart, but I am white boy" and nobody opened my head to check if i had a brain, probably i dont have one, so if a stupid person like me got the understanding, everyone else with a brain also should.

And as for other people comments, i tend to ignore ones written in aggressive manner.

Edited by ArturGorbachev

9 hours ago, bradiston said:

A few years ago, I asked my friends in Romania what they thought about Russian people, and that was their reply (quoting more or less):

"We like them individually, we like like to drink vodka with them, etc... but as a collectivity, we don't like them".

That sums it up. Individually, they are friendly, but as a people they have always been imperialistic. Add to it an authoritarian regime, controlled media and lots of propaganda to maintain this state of mind. Add also to it that the government is corrupt and incompetent, has not been able to develop this country despite its very good natural and human resources, has not even been able to prevent its population from significantly decreasing, etc... so they need to play the nationalist card in order to distract attention from their incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArturGorbachev said:

I have long and short explanation what happened. The short one people who wanted the war and people who started the war are not the same. And for the long one, it will like an hour for me to type it out, so just think yourself keeping in mind the short one, like someone said "I am not smart, but I am white boy" and nobody opened my head to check if i had a brain, probably i dont have one, so if a stupid person like me got the understanding, everyone else with a brain also should.

And as for other people comments, i tend to ignore ones written in aggressive manner.

Ok. We'll send your commander in chief the bill. I don't get "I am not smart but I am white boy". Is that supposed to be Ironic? Are you smart? It's not possible to tell either way from your posts. If you fully support Russia, it's unclear.  From what you say above, the West wanted the war, but Russia declared it. Do you really believe that? So Putin is doing everyone a favour (apart from the whole of Ukraine and millions of others around the world). It's not his fault. It's what his enemies wanted. They made me do it. Ah yes, the sad drunk Russian weeping over his broken down tractor. Infamy infamy, they've all got it infamy. He never wanted friendship. He never wanted to negotiate. He just wanted an excuse to start the war, and now, he just wants victory!

Edited by bradiston