Looks like Argentina is planning to take Islas Malvinas, (Falkland Islands) back.

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

If you wish to continue pre dating, the first recorded British landings at Falklands were actually in 1690. At that time they were uninhibited.

Sightings (discovery) early 16th Century by the Portuguese. Everyone mentioned is European. The Falkland Islands are not in Europe.

• Confused 2

Just now, The Fugitive said:

Sightings (discovery) early 16th Century by the Portuguese. Everyone mentioned is European. The Falkland Islands are not in Europe.

Nor was America before the Europeans took it.....:whistling:

Please don't tell me you are from the USA...............????

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Tell me the "Special relationships" Argentina had, as you seem to know all about it.......:cowboy:

Many Italians and Germans live in Argentina. Economic ties with Brasil but every Brasilian I've spoken to can't stand Argentina! Spoke to an ex-soldier in a cafe in Buenos Aires who showed me a curved razor blade he kept in a locket around his neck. He told me this came out of one of our bombs, slicing his chest open. The good part was that was the end of the Falklands War for him. He held up an electric drill saying; 'This is my gun now'. I asked him if another war was possible? He seemed certain it would never happen again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Does UK still have that thing with Nepal about Gurkha soldiers fighting for the Crown?  Stories were that when the Argie troops spotted them during the war in the 1980s they sh_t their pants and ran away, such is their reputation.

I lived in Arg a bit in the '00 decade.  At least once a week there was something in the newspapers regarding the war (20 years past at the time):  a monument, a speech assuring mothers their sons did not die in vain, a movie, even a new holiday.  So yeah, it's 40 years now and still festering.

The conventional wisdom at the time was Arg started the war to distract the citizens from the economic problems.  Now, it looks like they see weakness within UK, and are acting on it.  Kind of ironic that this time it could be the Brits getting the distraction advantage from the confrontation. 

Do you have  link to show that Argentine soldiers sh t their pants when they saw Gurkhas on the Falkland islands , any video evidence ?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Many Italians and Germans live in Argentina. Economic ties with Brasil but every Brasilian I've spoken to can't stand Argentina! Spoke to an ex-soldier in a cafe in Buenos Aires who showed me a curved razor blade he kept in a locket around his neck. He told me this came out of one of our bombs, slicing his chest open. The good part was that was the end of the Falklands War for him. He held up an electric drill saying; 'This is my gun now'. I asked him if another war was possible? He seemed certain it would never happen again.

Story time................."Out of one of our bombs"...........................????

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, transam said:

The Guardian, whoda thought...............????

Yep, the Guardian referencing the official history of the Falklands by Sir Lawrence Freedman, professor of war studies at King's College, University of London.

Not the kind of thing you’ll read in the UK’s gutter press.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Yep, the Guardian referencing the official history of the Falklands by Sir Lawrence Freedman, professor of war studies at King's College, University of London.

Not the kind of thing you’ll read in the UK’s gutter press.

The Guardian is the gutter press, as you well know, caters for the anti-brigade....:ermm:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

One of the most up-to-date carriers in the world, and another on the way.

HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales

The key numbers:

The project to build HMS Queen Elizabeth and sister ship HMS Prince of Wales cost more than £6bn.

The aircraft carrier weighs 65,000 tonnes and has a top speed of 25 knots.

She can carry up to 72 aircraft, with a maximum capacity of 36 F-35B fighter jets. It is more likely the Queen Elizabeth-class carriers will have up to 24 Lightning jets on board for operations, however.

Her flight deck is 280m long and 70m wide – enough space for three football pitches.

The ship is the second in the Royal Navy to be named Queen Elizabeth.

The ship has a crew of about 700, increasing to 1,600 when a full complement of F-35B jets and Crowsnest helicopters are embarked.

There are 364,000m of pipes inside the ship.

Both HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales will keep 45 days' worth of food in their stores.

The entire ship's company of 700 can be served a meal within 90 minutes – 45 minutes when at action stations.

https://www.forces.net/news/hms-queen-elizabeth-all-you-need-know-about-britains-aircraft-carrier

SD Tempest guiding HMS Queen Elizabeth back to port in 2017 160817 CREDIT BFBS.jpg

Lets hope we get to 24 F-35 in time. They've reordered the one we lost last year off the Carrier.

Hopefully, if there is a next time, we'll reinforce RAF Stanley and deploy to the Ascension Islands 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:31 PM, The Fugitive said:

Population of The Falkland Islands voted to remain part of the United Kingdom. Anyway, it doesn't matter even if UK had no Navy. NATO has to back-up any member nation if invaded.

The French helped out with a few Exocet missiles last time....????

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

One of the most up-to-date carriers in the world, and another on the way.

HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales

The key numbers:

The project to build HMS Queen Elizabeth and sister ship HMS Prince of Wales cost more than £6bn.

The aircraft carrier weighs 65,000 tonnes and has a top speed of 25 knots.

She can carry up to 72 aircraft, with a maximum capacity of 36 F-35B fighter jets. It is more likely the Queen Elizabeth-class carriers will have up to 24 Lightning jets on board for operations, however.

Her flight deck is 280m long and 70m wide – enough space for three football pitches.

The ship is the second in the Royal Navy to be named Queen Elizabeth.

The ship has a crew of about 700, increasing to 1,600 when a full complement of F-35B jets and Crowsnest helicopters are embarked.

There are 364,000m of pipes inside the ship.

Both HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales will keep 45 days' worth of food in their stores.

The entire ship's company of 700 can be served a meal within 90 minutes – 45 minutes when at action stations.

https://www.forces.net/news/hms-queen-elizabeth-all-you-need-know-about-britains-aircraft-carrier

SD Tempest guiding HMS Queen Elizabeth back to port in 2017 160817 CREDIT BFBS.jpg

And how many Exocet, or it's modern equivalent strikes would it take before sinking?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2023 at 3:31 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Why should the UK hand over the Islands with all its natural and mineral resources ?

Examples please. And how does UK get that stuff back home?

Just now, transam said:

Same for any ship, but I would assume the tech has moved on a tad....????

That's the point, big ships are far too easily destroyed to be very useful in modern times...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, zyphodb said:

That's the point, big ships are far too easily destroyed to be very useful in modern times...

Weeeell, we must have them for the ariel stuff, and the tech to take care of them....

• Like 1