Alcohol ban in Thailand on Monday

webfact

43 minutes ago, proton said:

Has anyone ever been fined for ignoring this nonsense ban controlling peoples lives?

You mean like RELIGION.   Or "bad" laws?   Or schools?  Or a boss?   

I have to wear a uniform while driving on the left hand side of the street and wai at my boss while listening to some weird prayer message blasting in my ear!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh I am pretty sure a few bars have been in trouble over the years. Selling after midnight the night prior catches some out. I lived in The Middle East for some time so this is trivial... and I have enough gray matter to buy a few for the fridge. Their country, their rules.

Ah, another SID convert.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

People in Thailand will observe the Buddhist religious day Makha Bucha on Monday (March 6), which also brings a 24 hour ban on the sale of alcohol.

Stock up this weekend then.. 

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? Also, why for non-Buddhists?

Should non Muslims be allowed to wander round drinking in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait?

It's about respecting the culture.

Election days, now there's another thing.

You only answered my second question. Why is having alcohol banned on only a couple or so days a year if it's against Buddhist principles/law? It either is, which means it should be banned all the time as in Muslim countries, or it isn't which means there should be no ban at all. As things are, it makes less sense than banning on election days.

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You only answered my second question. Why is having alcohol banned on only a couple or so days a year if it's against Buddhist principles/law? It either is, which means it should be banned all the time as in Muslim countries, or it isn't which means there should be no ban at all. As things are, it makes less sense than banning on election days.

I think it's about having a clear head on those days.

The Buddhist days so they can think clearly about their religious commitments and what a special day it is, and election days so they actually show up to vote and make a more informed choice. In both cases they don't want people comatose all day (and not tinking too mut). 

I don't agree with the bans, but I believe that's the 'logic' behind them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:08 AM, webfact said:

People in Thailand will observe the Buddhist religious day Makha Bucha on Monday (March 6), which also brings a 24 hour ban on the sale of alcohol.

For reference:

In Cambodia faithful Buddhists celebrate Makha Bucha day by gather in local temples to honor the Buddha and his teachings and to participate in traditional religious ceremonies.

https://www.yourphnompenh.com/makha-bucha-day-in-cambodia/

Here it is NOT a public (religious) holiday and alcohol is NOT banned outside the sanctuary of temples. 

Many thousands of tourists currently visiting Siem Reap and Angkor Wat will be happy bunnies!

If you are doing a border run to Cambodia on Monday March 6th, no problem getting a beer (or whatever) over the border.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, asf6 said:

We are not banned from drinking alcohol, only from buying it on Monday. As others have suggested, buy some before Monday and thank Webfact for warning us in advance so we can navigate this minor inconvenience without too much, err, inconvenience. ☺️ 

Thanks. We all know to buy early. But you didn't answer my question.

9 hours ago, AnnaBanana said:

We don't even qualify as guests here.

I wasn't invited, were you?

We're more like party-crashers who have arrived too late and found  "...a banquet hall deserted, whose lights are fled, whose garlands dead and all but he departed."

Oh dearie me. Just pop a few cold ones in your fridge and watch a film or two. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Except Lotus, Makro, 7-11 etc.

Of course - for those know nothing else [dependent] than the Western-style supermarket or mini-marts.

Almost too predictable. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, asf6 said:

Why is it banned? Cuz the govt said so. ☺️

Why does the government ban it on such days? I have no idea and personally I don't really care but I assume that it is some kind of compromise between differing Thai thoughts on alcohol consumption and Buddhism:  Thai Buddhists that say Buddhists shouldn't drink alcohol at all, Thai Buddhists who say Buddhists shouldn't drink alcohol on Buddhist holy days (wan pra / วันพระ), and those Thais who want to drink every day. The government position seems to be to impose  quite a mild inconvenience and only ban the selling (but not consumption) of alcohol on 4 of the most important Buddhist special days: Makha Bucha, Wisaka Bucha, Kao Pansa and Asala Bucha. 

Good reasoning. 

52 minutes ago, asf6 said:

Why is it banned? Cuz the govt said so. ☺️

Why does the government ban it on such days? I have no idea and personally I don't really care but I assume that it is some kind of compromise between differing Thai thoughts on alcohol consumption and Buddhism:  Thai Buddhists that say Buddhists shouldn't drink alcohol at all, Thai Buddhists who say Buddhists shouldn't drink alcohol on Buddhist holy days (wan pra / วันพระ), and those Thais who want to drink every day. The government position seems to be to impose  quite a mild inconvenience and only ban the selling (but not consumption) of alcohol on 4 of the most important Buddhist special days: Makha Bucha, Wisaka Bucha, Kao Pansa and Asala Bucha. 

All of your decent logic aside, might remember that there is a great leap as to what society is feeling and acting upon and what any surface/official mandates that are in place and promoted as such. 

• Confused 1