Thai health officials worried about growing number of fat kids

webfact

And in tomorrow's news, The Krungthep Post newspaper reports on a Department of Health study that Thai children are suffering a Diabetes epidemic...

The causes of this poor health and obesity should seem obvious.

• Excess refined sugar consumption
  • Eating deep fried processed meet on a stick
  • Inactivity playing with smartphones
  • Watching TV for hours on end
  • Computer games during any "spare" time

Will anything change? Unlikely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's mostly the fatty junk food. Plenty of people stay slim and healthy including sugar in their diet

Yes but it is the amount of sugar they have in their diet.  The fatty junk food that you talk about is mostly made up of sugars and other <deleted>.

I came here with my wife at the time in the late 90's she was sllightly over weight and free size was tight.  If you went into the stores there were no clothes here that she could buy as there were very few large Thai ladies.

Also then people played football and were outside.  Then came the tech revolution and the internet.  the more the internet evolves and the gaming world evolves the fewer kids that are doing anything but playing on their phones.

The other thing that puzzles the F out of me is Thai hospitals.  Supposedly they are there to help people get healthy but has anyone ever looked at the shops that are there selling food.  As a type 2 I have to go in for fasting blood work.  In order to get anything to eat after I have the choice of starbucks or a snack shop that sells nothing but sugary foods.

The higher end is not any better take a walk inside BNH and see the food that you can buy.  there is nothing that is low-fat low sugar it is all high fat high cholesterol.  same with schools

3 hours ago, h90 said:

And again the salt isn't the problem at all.
Fat is not really the issue. Bad fats is a health issue but you won't get fat from fat pork.

It is the sugar and carbohydrates.

Sugar or fat, it's depending of your blood sugar, some gains weight from fat, others from sugar.

10 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Yes but it is the amount of sugar they have in their diet.  The fatty junk food that you talk about is mostly made up of sugars and other <deleted>.

I came here with my wife at the time in the late 90's she was sllightly over weight and free size was tight.  If you went into the stores there were no clothes here that she could buy as there were very few large Thai ladies.

Also then people played football and were outside.  Then came the tech revolution and the internet.  the more the internet evolves and the gaming world evolves the fewer kids that are doing anything but playing on their phones.

The other thing that puzzles the F out of me is Thai hospitals.  Supposedly they are there to help people get healthy but has anyone ever looked at the shops that are there selling food.  As a type 2 I have to go in for fasting blood work.  In order to get anything to eat after I have the choice of starbucks or a snack shop that sells nothing but sugary foods.

The higher end is not any better take a walk inside BNH and see the food that you can buy.  there is nothing that is low-fat low sugar it is all high fat high cholesterol.  same with schools

My wives sister and 2 staff got type 2: no word from any doctor to change lifestyle...just take medicine.

• Like 2

There's only one way to reverse this. Get rid of all the American fast food chains (KFC, Mackas, Burger King etc) and the easy access to coca cola, pepsi and other sugary soft drinks. Wherever they become established the population's obesity explodes, it's not just Thailand. Look at the USA, Australia, the UK and the other continents. Obesity is a worldwide health issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

Sugar or fat, it's depending of your blood sugar, some gains weight from fat, others from sugar.

You gain weight from eating too much. But with sugar or easy to digest carbohydrates you get much faster hungry after eating the same kcal...so you eat more. Or the other way around eating more fat is causing a more stable blood sugar without the spikes in both ways. So keeping slim is much easier.
Of course fat+sweet is the worst of both.
The point is the low fat products are actually making you fat.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

There's only one way to reverse this. Get rid of all the American fast food chains (KFC, Mackas, Burger King etc) and the easy access to coca cola, pepsi and other sugary soft drinks. Wherever they become established the population's obesity explodes, it's not just Thailand. Look at the USA, Australia, the UK and the other continents. Obesity is a worldwide health issue.

biggest is most probably CP with the 7/11 fastfood and many of the sweet drinks are Thai (TC Pharmaceutical with the krating deng and 100 other products). The bad influence came from America but it is now a global (un)culture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Alright kids, time for some outdoor activities. And don't forget to inhale all that PM2.5 goodness while you're at it...

PM2.5 is not good but a rather small problem in compare

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I comment on this regularly. Our  home is quite central in the village and most of the kids pass by us going to and from the village shop. Out of school hours there's almost a constant stream of kids going to the shop and returning with usual haul of fat and sugar laden snacks and drinks.

And worse, they're not even benefitting from walking or biking to the shop. Many of them are now transiting on their shiny new electric scooters and trikes.

Same when going to and from school. The furthest any kid has to travel to the school is around 700 meters but many now using their EVs, on the main road of course!

Naturally my comments inevitably fall on deaf ears. 'It's up to them' is the standard Thai response.

recently I noticed a reverse when they get older....they get slimmer again, thanks to kratom and Yaba....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dart12 said:

sugar would definitely be the number one cause.  The vehicle for the delivery of that is the ease of consumption of it in all the processed foods and drinks thru convenience stores now.

Of course, lethargy or lack of exercise is number two.  You can fight thru bad diet if you are a physical labor machine (see Michael Phelps diet when he was competing).  12,000 calories and a huge amount of carbs while at it.

For breakfast, this is what he ate:

• 3 fried egg sandwiches with tomatoes, fried onions, mayo, lettuce, and cheese
  • One five egg omelet
  • One bowl of grits
  • 3 slices of French toast dusted with powdered sugar
  • 3 chocolate chip pancakes
  • 2 cups of coffee

It seems that his intention was to start the day off really well. For lunch, he took it a little easier:

• A pound of enriched pasta
  • Two large ham-and-cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread
  • 1,000 calories of energy drinks

For dinner, he had perhaps his lightest meal of the day:

• Another pound of pasta
  • One 8-inch pizza
  • Several energy drinks
Kels

Sugar and grains are pretty much the quickest way to add kilos/pounds, and yes, not moving much speeds up the weight gain...!
I left Thailand in 2016, after living there for 3.5 years,  I saw quite a lot of obese kids, and I saw what they ate (my wife's little shop was less then 100M from the school in her village)... sugar is definitely a huge (pun intended) problem in Thailand now...! ????

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, h90 said:

low fat products are actually making you fat.

low fat is not low fat if it turns into fat.

just not called FAT on the nice label but it becomes FAT.

Just run 10 km every day of your life!!!!!!  Every single day.   Problem sorted!!!!!!!  

Today I ran 89 to inspire the kids of LOS!!!!!    

1 minute ago, BananaStrong said:

low fat is not low fat if it turns into fat.

just not called FAT on the nice label but it becomes FAT.

Just run 10 km every day of your life!!!!!!  Every single day.   Problem sorted!!!!!!!  

Today I ran 89 to inspire the kids of LOS!!!!!    

Running 5km daily is more than enough followed by the right diet. Running marathons is nothing but a lot of stress for your organism.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

It’s just poor nutrition, poor Education System, very bad habits from parents. Look at all those noodle shops and majority MSG “Restaurants” 

27 minutes ago, Tarteso said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Blaming traditional Thai eating habits are you?

27 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Blaming? Nop, I post a fairly objective and personal opinion from my experience, In any case, I tell you again; those directly responsible are parents and educators, nothing wrong with my my post. Perhaps you should find another more appropriate  smart word to answer me. 

Given that the only factor that you mentioned was  ''noodle shops and majority MSG “Restaurants” how can one draw any other conclusion as to the implication of your post?

Edited by Moonlover

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Interesting. We had a discussion today about the kids in the village.......all flatly refuse to work in the fields and spend all day hammering about on their exhaust, modified motorbikes........the times they are a changin'.

Well, slave away in the 35 degree sun for hours.

Or cruise around on my hotted up bike chasing the skinny and quite often promiscous girls?

Are you going to get out in the fields to help with the labour shortage?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Absolute obession with kfc + those <deleted>-tier hotdogs with 1 billion times the healthy amount of nitrates + sodium. I'll never eat a sausage here again, they are disgusting. 

Sai Ua..  ไส้อั่ว  Northern Thai sausage are pretty good!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, h90 said:

it is not about including sugar, it is about the huge amounts of it, in every food even food that is not sweet.
It is not the sugar in the coffee it, it is that there is no single meal without it

No mention of the junk food having high fat content, that should be the focus