Toe Nail Fungus. Need Laser treatment .

Izak Haber

Have you considered tea tree oil? It is very effective against toe nail fungus. Apply a couple of drops to the nails with fungus twice a day until you start to see improvement. Note, it can take several weeks. There is no quick fix with toenail fungus.

Tea tree oil is very inexpensive and useful for various ailments.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have had the same problem and have been told by my doctor and by doctors I work with and that are patients, I'm an Acupuncture Physician, that the cremes etc do not work and the only thing that works well is Terbinafine (oral). I have found this to be true in my case after I've tried other suggestions.

It's a good idea to have your liver checked which my doctor insisted on before he would give me the prescription as if there is a problem with your liver you should not take this medication.

When you are in medicine you are always researching things... This is one of the sources I always check... The Cleveland Clinic along with Mayo Clinic and Harvard...

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/19379-terbinafine-tablets

hope this helps

larry

• 7 months later...

I have had a toe nail fungus for about 15 years, probably acquired in a nail spa – never again.

At that time, my GP recommended the latest treatment – a new French product – ‘file and paint’ once a week.

Expensive stuff at like $50 a bottle. After about 3 bottles, I gave up as no change.

Then I tried tea tree oil, then Vicks (separately) – religiously over many, many months – no change.

I bought something like a felt tip pen from the local chemist, and after about 2 weeks I could see an improvement. I checked the primary ingredient – it was acetic acid or vinegar.

So, rather than bathe my feet daily in a vinegar bath – as recommended on the internet, I bought a small spray bottle and filled it with vinegar, and used it morning and night.

I’ve been spraying for number of years, the fungus has become less severe but not eliminated – I concluded that the vinegar was just suppressing the fungus.

I’ve got so tired of spraying and carrying the little bottle around (usually it leaks on flights), so a few months ago I thought I would try something in the market here in Thailand.

Boots offered me “Boots Antifungal Cream”, a 20 gram tube containing 1 gram of Clotrimazole. I forget the cost but like 120 Baht. It works, after one month a big improvement.

Initially, Boots offered the same in liquid form but application with a plastic stick was slow; the cream is much easier to apply.

There are different kind of fungus and maybe this cream does not work for everyone.

Some years ago, a podiatrist told me that he thinks my nail fungus will never clear. He had one client who had a nail removed and the fungus still came back in the new nail.

Also, I had several laser (or a special light?) treatments with the podiatrist, as I was prepared to try anything – no change.

“Boots Antifungal Cream” – highly recommended.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John49 said:

I have had a toe nail fungus for about 15 years, probably acquired in a nail spa – never again.

At that time, my GP recommended the latest treatment – a new French product – ‘file and paint’ once a week.

Expensive stuff at like $50 a bottle. After about 3 bottles, I gave up as no change.

Then I tried tea tree oil, then Vicks (separately) – religiously over many, many months – no change.

I bought something like a felt tip pen from the local chemist, and after about 2 weeks I could see an improvement. I checked the primary ingredient – it was acetic acid or vinegar.

So, rather than bathe my feet daily in a vinegar bath – as recommended on the internet, I bought a small spray bottle and filled it with vinegar, and used it morning and night.

I’ve been spraying for number of years, the fungus has become less severe but not eliminated – I concluded that the vinegar was just suppressing the fungus.

I’ve got so tired of spraying and carrying the little bottle around (usually it leaks on flights), so a few months ago I thought I would try something in the market here in Thailand.

Boots offered me “Boots Antifungal Cream”, a 20 gram tube containing 1 gram of Clotrimazole. I forget the cost but like 120 Baht. It works, after one month a big improvement.

Initially, Boots offered the same in liquid form but application with a plastic stick was slow; the cream is much easier to apply.

There are different kind of fungus and maybe this cream does not work for everyone.

Some years ago, a podiatrist told me that he thinks my nail fungus will never clear. He had one client who had a nail removed and the fungus still came back in the new nail.

Also, I had several laser (or a special light?) treatments with the podiatrist, as I was prepared to try anything – no change.

“Boots Antifungal Cream” – highly recommended.

Since you are having such trouble with funguds worht considering underlying causes:

1 - Are you wearing closed shoes? Socks? Open toe sandals with no socks is much better.

2- Are you/could you be diabetic?

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:26 PM, AcuDoc said:

and the only thing that works well is Terbinafine (oral).

I have to say that the few times I have had some sort of fungal infection, terbinafine (not oral) has worked the best of all, despite trying just about every other antifungal on the market.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Since you are having such trouble with funguds worht considering underlying causes:

1 - Are you wearing closed shoes? Socks? Open toe sandals with no socks is much better.

To be honest – it’s only one big toe and the fungus is only very apparent in the top third.

Also, one smaller toe (on the other foot) has about a top third similar infection.

A couple of other toes are suspects...

Some would say, why worry, but I have seen the feet of those who have all toes affected, and it’s not a pretty sight – especially in older folk.

Like a marker of personal decline or not taking care of yourself.

The reason I keep treating it – is that I don’t want it to spread.

I have been wearing sandals and no socks for about the last 10 years.

I will add in a test for diabetes at my next blood test, in a few months.

Sheryl, thank you for your comment and advice.

4 hours ago, Jack Hammer said:

Treat with pure Tea Tree oil.. Persevere with a few drops two or three times a day. Believe me it will cure it 

Maybe it only works for certain funguses or fungi or whatever.

I just checked Amazon. They actually sell a tiny at-home laser device for toenail fungus. So you can apply laser treatment at home yourself, daily I guess? It's not that cheap, but maybe worth the investment. Lazada doesn't have it.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, Sheryl said:

I had a bad case of onychomycosis on my toes and fingers. It all started at the same time about a year ago. The fingernails have only just started to appear normal, but I still have some melanonychia on a few fingers. The big toenails grow slower, so that will take some time. They are about halfway to normal as the thickened nail has yet to grow out. This also affected the skin on my fingers and even the palms, and all my toes. The skin on my fingertips is just starting to come right after a year and constant application of lotion. Most of the skin epidermis peeled off, so it took a long time to repair and for all the skin layers to grow back. The fingers took longer to repair as they were constantly exposed to water and detergents.

What caused this, is the question, and your #2 I believe was the cause in my case. I have prediabetes, bordering on diabetes. Most of the time I exercise a lot, which helps to control my blood sugar, but preceding the onset of onychomycosis I had a long period of inactivity (several months).

The cure for me was oral itraconazole taken by the "pulse method". 200 mg twice a day for a week, 3 weeks off - repeated for 3 months total. Most importantly I started exercising again. Getting good blood circulation through the toes is crucial.

Here's the best article I've seen on the topic.

Treating Onychomycosis

Edited by JensenZ